IGNORED

Is there any high end DAC that can sound as good as turntable ($10,000 budget for each)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, quanghuy147 said:

Thank you everyone for your very informative input. I will change the DAC later. But for now I will try to reduce the noise in my system as some suggested here. 

You will find further information here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60381-hdd-to-case-bonding-uptick-in-sq/?tab=comments#comment-1084599

You shouldn't need to go quite as far as Gary did unless your  PC has poor internal integrity.

To do this properly you will need to use a DVM as Gary recommended. It can be done with the PC operational but not doing any work . Further improvements to the PSU itself are the next step if needed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You will find further information here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60381-hdd-to-case-bonding-uptick-in-sq/?tab=comments#comment-1084599

You shouldn't need to go quite as far as Gary did unless your  PC has poor internal integrity.

To do this properly you will need to use a DVM as Gary recommended. It can be done with the PC operational but not doing any work . Further improvements to the PSU itself are the next step if needed.

Thank you for the link. I am currently not using a PC. I use laptop (Audio Nirvana software - Tidal)-->Ethernet cable->Allo Digione Signature --> DAC. I don't know if I can benefit from Gary's method. 

27 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

Thank you for the link. I am currently not using a PC. I use laptop (Audio Nirvana software - Tidal)-->Ethernet cable->Allo Digione Signature --> DAC. I don't know if I can benefit from Gary's method. 

It's hard to improve most laptops unless you power them from a Linear PSU. Does it sound any better when playing music from it's battery?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

8 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

Yes, playing from laptop battery produce noticeably darker background. 

In that case a good Linear PSU should result in an improvement with normal use.

What voltage is it's external SMPS PSU, 19V (?) or around that area, and what is it's rated current  ?

19 minutes ago, k27R said:

Good advice from everyone. In my experience, you get more for the money with a good analog setup vs digital. The quality of transport feeding the dac is just as important as the dac itself. Putting all your money into a dac could be disappointing if your transport is not on the same level. 

Like you, it was a real eye opener when I put a vintage turntable in my system just to try it out.  My analog and digital setups are on the same level now, but I have way more $$ invested on the digital side of things. I use my analog setup as reference for any changes I make to the digital side of things. Analog just ticks all of the right boxes for me. 

May I know which transport you use? 

Right now I connect laptop directly to Allo Digione by Baaske Medical Ethenet isolater and Ethernet without using any Switch between. Do you think I can benefit from replacing Baaske with EtherREGen ?

2 hours ago, k27R said:

Good advice from everyone. In my experience, you get more for the money with a good analog setup vs digital. The quality of transport feeding the dac is just as important as the dac itself. Putting all your money into a dac could be disappointing if your transport is not on the same level. 

Like you, it was a real eye opener when I put a vintage turntable in my system just to try it out.  My analog and digital setups are on the same level now, but I have way more $$ invested on the digital side of things. I use my analog setup as reference for any changes I make to the digital side of things. Analog just ticks all of the right boxes for me. 

The other issue is that some music is only available on either vinyl or digital. For instance, this month Sade released remastered, with some vision for a change, the original six studio discs on vinyl only. It is then more important to have vinyl or digital played ‘at the same level’ so there’s no compromise on playback, makes the choice of media easier, although vinyl is close to triple the price for the equivalent CD for new releases.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 10/20/2020 at 3:21 PM, sandyk said:

n that case a good Linear PSU should result in an improvement with normal use.

What voltage is it's external SMPS PSU, 19V (?) or around that area, and what is it's rated current  ?

I read in the back of the adapter: 19.5V  11.8A

It's a gaming laptop so maybe that's why it demands more power than a regular one. 

I tried 2 other laptops on battery mode but it only this gaming laptop (when on battery) produces a lower noise (than when plugged in).

22 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

I read in the back of the adapter: 19.5V  11.8A

It's a gaming laptop so maybe that's why it demands more power than a regular one. 

I tried 2 other laptops on battery mode but it only this gaming laptop (when on battery) produces a lower noise (than when plugged in).

Given the very high current rating of the adaptor ,  it wouldn't be economical to use a lower noise Linear PSU instead , unfortunately. The internal batteries would also have a very short time between charges compared with most other laptops.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Given the very high current rating of the adaptor ,  it wouldn't be economical to use a lower noise Linear PSU instead , unfortunately. The internal batteries would also have a very short time between charges compared with most other laptops.

If I am going to build a PC as music streamer to feed my DAC, do you think this is a good option to follow? Thank you.

2 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

If I am going to build a PC as music streamer to feed my DAC, do you think this is a good option to follow? Thank you.

The presenter's music server is entry level. The components are one thing, the other is technique of the construction.  As @sandyk points out, have a good look at the thread for the DIY solution. The idea is to build a Taiko Extreme Server as a DIY approach, and like the manufacturer of the Taiko, the development went so far down the rabbit hole, it took a lot of time and effort to rule out what sounds bad. 

Results are pretty good if there's somewhere in between a Taiko and what you're happy with. My own server is not perfect by any means, but with mods here and there, I'm happy with what I hear.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I’ve had a similar question, but from “part” of finding “like CD sounding” DAC.

And at last found it in Rockna Wavedream DAC - more analog sounding DAC I’ve never met before (IMHO yes:)).

I even call it Lampizator (it’s sound I love much but can’t enter it in my home by some restrictions) on transistors.

One more option is La Rosita.

If it possible to some how try it - I think You will not disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Quanghuy147, You are Vietnamese like me? So your questions is the same as me. My hifi system is complete, the my question is which way I will be select? It’s mean LP or Digital. I went to many my friend audio system for research my questio. So finally I choose Digital. Now very difficult to say LP or Digital better, but I decided digital. So now I have a plan for that. Of course including music server: apple mini with uptone audio linear power kit or complete music server like Innuos Statement - I will pay for Innous.

now back to DAC $10k. Actually I want to hear natural, rustic and clear => just kind of R2-R DAC technology! That’s mean no oversampling => Just MSB DAC, TotalDAC, Holo DAC,... The DCS DAC is good, but it’s very digital sound! 
With $10k you can select MSB Discrete DAC or DCS Bartók DAC. 
I don’t know how about for future upgrade, but you need more 5k to upgrade for some module like usb, rj45 optical fiber converter,...

In the digital zone, you need more money for more extra equipment like linear power supply for NAS, Music Server, Switch; Switch have SFP port for audio,...will be pay more $ :)

Any my recommendation just for my knowledge, may be wrong or right! You need to asking more some guy this forum, and you need to hear before pay!

Hope this help

thangvc

Based on my quick impressions at several Axponas,   I dont see a clear winner.    I have always enjoyed the Kronos turntable and MSB dacs.    (my fav)   Both are well beyond my means.     If I had $10,000 to spend and interested in both formats, I would spend $5k on each one and CAREFULLY choose components.   There are many fantastic choices.   Even this amount of money can go a long way if you take you time.   Good luck on your journey!

On 11/2/2020 at 10:48 PM, thangvc said:

Hi Quanghuy147, You are Vietnamese like me? So your questions is the same as me. My hifi system is complete, the my question is which way I will be select? It’s mean LP or Digital. I went to many my friend audio system for research my questio. So finally I choose Digital. Now very difficult to say LP or Digital better, but I decided digital. So now I have a plan for that. Of course including music server: apple mini with uptone audio linear power kit or complete music server like Innuos Statement - I will pay for Innous.

now back to DAC $10k. Actually I want to hear natural, rustic and clear => just kind of R2-R DAC technology! That’s mean no oversampling => Just MSB DAC, TotalDAC, Holo DAC,... The DCS DAC is good, but it’s very digital sound! 
With $10k you can select MSB Discrete DAC or DCS Bartók DAC. 
I don’t know how about for future upgrade, but you need more 5k to upgrade for some module like usb, rj45 optical fiber converter,...

In the digital zone, you need more money for more extra equipment like linear power supply for NAS, Music Server, Switch; Switch have SFP port for audio,...will be pay more $ :)

Any my recommendation just for my knowledge, may be wrong or right! You need to asking more some guy this forum, and you need to hear before pay!

Hope this help

thangvc

Hi Thang, Much appreciate to your sharing experience. It looks for the same level of sound quality, digital gears are more expensive than LP. However, we won't have to invest in LP, just need to subscribe to Tidal. There are many songs and albums the I like but couldn't find in LP. 

If I understand you correctly, DCS Bartók DAC is digital and not as natural as r2r DAC technology?

Thank you.

Hi Huy,

It's just my personal feeling, and you are right with my feeling. The DCS is best but when I listen the Vocal, Acoustic, It doesn't feel natural compare to MSB R2-R technique. If you want to hear Tidal, you need to invest better in other Digital system (Such as: Music server, Modem, Switch, Lan cable, optical fiber,....) not just a DAC. Hehe You will have a headache!

My plan is $10k just for single DAC, may be $10k extra more for some more audio accessories => Get a little bit Digital sound quality! 

Hope this help,