IGNORED

Is there any high end DAC that can sound as good as turntable ($10,000 budget for each)

2 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Hello, 

I currently have a DAC and streamer setup which cost about $3000. Recently, I bought a turntable with phono preamp, which cost $600. 

I compared the sound by some familiar songs and found that the turntable combo sound 90% detailed as the DAC combo but it is more emotional, involving and better soundstage. The only problem with this turntable option is that I don't have LPs and I don't want to spend $$$$ to build an LP library that can make me happy as I am now with Tidal. 

I have a friend, he is a fan of turntables and recently switched to Reel to reel. He also has a Wavelength DAC cost $3000 but he said there was a big gap between his digital and his analog sources. 

My question is if there is any higher end DAC and streamer combo  that can beat turntable and phono preamp combo (let's say the budget for each combo is $10,000)?  Or there is always something that is limited only to analog sources like turntables, reel to reel and this makes no DAC can replace them?

Thank you.

Huy

If you go to a hifi show where they are comparing analog to digital, typically half the room will prefer analog, half digital. You are in the former catagory so just make sure you only take advice from folks who actively run turntables. I don't have any recommendations as I am in the same boat as you. The best sound I've achieved so far has been with files, rather than Tidal though. 

16 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Norton has a much much better vinyl rig than me, and I refrained from posting my point of view here, but the OP did mention he has a relatively modest vinyl rig as well... 

I'm sure the ECD DAC is excellent, one of many good DAC's out there, I think you might agree that the server/player is more important than the DAC? 

• 2 weeks later...