IGNORED

Selecting a $700-800 USD dac

Here are the three choice. You may choose any ONE of them to live with for the next 5 years. 

Sonic fidelity (of your preferred style) is your MAIN criteria (of course). 

After than, ergonomics, brand reputation, reviews and word-of-mouths, looks/styling.

Topping D-90

Schiit Bifrost 2

Denafrips Ares II

If you know of another DAC in roughly the same $ range ($700-800 usd) , then add it to your reply. Note: that I'm pretty firm on that price. The Schiit sells for $800 on Amazon (+ tax ), directly thru Schiit ($700 + $20 ship + 10.25% Calif sales tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Not sure about Singapore-based Vinshine Audio / Denafrips ... an email back from them claimed no import tax reported for USA. But you never know until delivery driver shows up at your door. 

Schiit Modius for 200usd? What is the rest of the system?

1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7

2. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Apollon NC502MP - Monitor Audio PL100

3. Hidizs S8 - Audeze LCDi3

4. TempoTec Sonata HD - 1More Triple Driver IEM

I already own a Schiit Modi Multi. 

I like it quite a bit -- glad I selected it over similar priced Topping, SMSL. 

Rest of system is bit of hodge podge ....mostly headphone-based.  I'll have to update my Profile page one day.

Prefer the classic multibit sound. Have quite a bit of listening experience with classic 16-bit Philips multibit gear (TDA dacs with dynamic element matching or continuous calibration topologies). And mostly prefer over-sampled (digital filter) -- again classic digital filter sonics ,  not the latest  DFs w/gazillions of taps.