IGNORED

The new Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

@Superdad, if we're connecting a streamer (e.g., UltraRendu) via the EtherREGEN's 'B' port, does the ER provide all the flow control support we might need (and thus obviate the need for an oM Deluxe) when utilizing HQ Player NAA?

Or does every device that touches the packets all the way to the server running HQP have to understand Flow-Control Pause packets?

The EtherREGEN has always supported flow-control/pause-packets.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This indicates that a (two) 10GB specified SFP+ module actually will or can work in a SFP port. No matter what articles on the net says. 

So @AfterDark. plan of making a compatibility list is probably the only way to go. 

"Compatibility list" is really not necessary.  All you need to do--if you wish to use a pair of SFP+ fiber optic transceivers in a device whose SFP port is 1Gbe-only (such as EtherREGEN, opticalModule, opticalRendu, etc.)--is to be certain that the cage at the OTHER end (switch typically) is also a 1GBe-only SFP port and is NOT a device that supports 10GBe (so-called "SFP+ port"). The connections are all electrically the same between SFP and SFP+. And the transceiver modules themselves do not negotiate anything. It is all about the devices you plug them into!:D

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

(Not sure if 50 ohm version is available).

Both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm clock input versions of EtherREGEN are sold out until end of January 2022 (darn global chip shortage!).  About 10% of each 250 unit production run are built as 50-Ohm and available on special request. 
But when using a sine wave output 10MHz reference clock impedance matching does not matter at all. It is only relevant when using a square wave clock.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

… also the EtherRegen comes with a 30 day money back that to my knowledge only one person has ever used. Out of soon 2000 sold. 

Actually about 8 people out of 2,900 have returned. That’s okay, tastes will vary… B|

4 hours ago, zoltan said:

- If impedance matching doesn't matter (REF 10 is generating a sine wave) then I could practically use any cable also? So it doesn't even have to be either 50 or 75 Ohms?

Actually, the excellent Mutec REF10 is one of the few clocks out there that is a square wave output.  So for you impedance matching and a cable with very wide bandwidth is important to preserving the shape of that. Fortunately your REF10 offers both 50-Ohm and 75-Ohm outputs. Please refer to our paper linked here:

- For now, I already have a streamer, a USB reclocker and two Mutec MC3+USB reclockers connected to the REF 10, the ER will be the fifth device. Should they be connected with the same cables and same lengths to work in sync or it makes no difference if cables are different?

Should not matter if the clock cables are same or different, but since your clock is square wave and two of its outputs are 50-Ohm and six are 75-Ohm, you’ll need to pay attention to that and use cables that match those outputs.  Again, see the linked paper with regards what matters in a clock cable for square wave (quite different than what matters for sine wave clocks).

Bonus question: I possibly use my JS-2 to power the ER. Will sound better/run cooler at 9V or 12V, or makes no difference? 

Due to the design of the EtherREGEN’s power networks, neither heat nor sonics will vary with input voltage. Wattage consumed is the same, so current draw is lower at 12V (0.8A) than at 9V (1.0A) or 7V (about 1.35A).

1 hour ago, zoltan said:

I should sell that and just get another JS-2. The problem is that I live in SE Asia now and shipping a JS-2 here reliably is quite expensive I guess. 

Door-to-door FedEx Express shipping of a JS-2 in its 7Kg double-boxed carton to any location outside of North America is the same $95 we have always charged. 
(arrangement regarding lowered customs value declaration is discussed privately).

Presently accepting reservations for the next build batch, begun today, for shipment by November 23rd.

Contact me via e-mail or our web site if you indeed wish to obtain another lovely JS-2.  B|

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, muski said:

I'm powering my new OMD with an LPS-1.2 @ 7v. Both the LPS and the OMD are running a little warm (but not hot). 

Do you think I could I set the LPS to 5v?

5V will probably be fine as well.  It won’t change the thermal dissipation of the UltraCap LPS1-1.2 since the opticalModule will be drawing about the same current. But a lesser voltage drop across the opticalModule’s LT3045 linear regulators could result in slightly less heat from it. (I can’t recall if the new version has DC-DC pre-regs fronting the LT3045s; depending upon if it does—on some or all the LDOs—a lower input voltage to the unit might not make much if any thermal change.)

Honestly I would not sweat it. 9_9

• 3 months later...