IGNORED

Definitely not Windows 95: What operating systems keep things running in space?

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

LOL, don't you believe Mac viruses exist?

It doesn't matter do I believe it or not - since 1993, when I bought my first Mac (it was Macintosh Color Classic) up till now I do not recall a single issue with viruses on my home Macs... :-) At the same time, while using various Windows based computers in a working environment had virus related problems many times.

Windows has APIs that enable third party authors to develop software that aid user and corporate productivity eg. single signon.  One of the core concepts is the injection of a dll into another user's address space.  These same APIs are used by criminals.  I browse and check e-mail with an iPad and only visit trusted sites with Windows.

Real time operating systems have been around for a while.  The first one I recall is QNX from the late 80s.  If a government can afford to go into space then it can write an operating system for the purpose.

5 hours ago, d_elm said:

Windows has APIs that enable third party authors to develop software that aid user and corporate productivity eg. single signon.  One of the core concepts is the injection of a dll into another user's address space.  These same APIs are used by criminals.  I browse and check e-mail with an iPad and only visit trusted sites with Windows.

Real time operating systems have been around for a while.  The first one I recall is QNX from the late 80s.  If a government can afford to go into space then it can write an operating system for the purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:MacOS_APIs

mQa is dead!

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It doesn't matter do I believe it or not - since 1993, when I bought my first Mac (it was Macintosh Color Classic) up till now I do not recall a single issue with viruses on my home Macs... :-) At the same time, while using various Windows based computers in a working environment had virus related problems many times.

Back then, was the OS the System 7 something (or at least, classic Mac OS) --  famous for limited memory management and susceptible to conflicts among extensions that provide additional functionality, such as networking or support for a particular device, which was a factor in Apple's declining market share at the time.

mQa is dead!

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

How about on earth ... I just found this one, https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/04/02/206230/boeing-787s-must-be-turned-off-and-on-every-51-days-to-prevent-misleading-data-being-shown-to-pilots

Nice to know that 'proper' bits of engineering kit still have their foibles - and require 'silly' workarounds to solve the issue ... 😉

Fortunately airlines don't share the audiophile belief that equipment needs to powered 24x7 to operate properly...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull