A few years ago I got to hear ELAC’s Adante floor standing speakers at RMAF.  I was hugely impressed with how good these were for the price.  I wasn’t alone in feeling that way as that was a common theme in all the reviews.  It seemed as if all the speakers designed for them by Andrew Jones are viewed that way.  

A few weeks ago I started toying with upgrading the speakers in my AV system.  The Polk speakers in that system never impressed me with music, but since they made movies fun they have been with me almost 20 years.  While I wasn’t sure if I was ready to move, on I thought I’d familiarize myself with ELAC’s more affordable models.

What I learned was that ELAC had introduced a second generation Uni-fi series and that the first generation floor standers saw a nice price reduction.  Supplies seemed to be running out so I quickly pulled the trigger on a pair.  After liking what I heard, I ordered another pair for the surround channels and the matching center channel.

The first generation floor standers set me back around $300 each, with retail being $499.  It’s ridiculous how good these sound for the money.  The midrange is very natural so voices are conveyed well.  Acoustic tones are naturally rendered as well.  They are by no means perfect, with the low end giving up the most.  But again, for the price I can’t complain.  They brought a substantial improvement to sound quality of my AV system.

If you have any interest in a speaker in this price range, you should think about grabbing a pair before they are gone.

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps