IGNORED

LOVE AIRPLAY, where to start

Hi,

first post user here,

I reall like how the IOS airplay works

atm, my jbl docking station is connected to airport express with phone jack lead so I can stream music from my iphone.

Pandora radio and Spotify is what I use, both work with airplay.

I was thinking about upgrading this (probably to all of you here poor) setup.

1st I thought I will buy audioengine 5 active speakers. Now after doing some research I'm moving to AE->DAC->AMP->SPEAKERS setup.

Have decided I can spend £800. Loosing airplay funcionallity is not an option.

I do like to discover music and pandora is great for what is.(I know 192kbps is nothing like good sound).Any recommendations ?

Not in your country so not absolutely sure of your budget or availability of things. Using an Apple TV is terrific with Airplay but you still need a dac for it to play into. Maybe a decent AV receiver into a nice pair of B&W's? I too dig Pandora and Rhapsody (like your Spotify I think).

David

thanks realhifi

from what I read the benefit over airport express

maximum audio rate is 44 Khz through AE whereas it's 48 Khz for the new apple tv? is that right?

arcam rDAC is about £300, the appletv £100

that leaves me £400 for a receiver and speakers

I could push it to £500

Things would get interesting if Apple starts to license embedded airplay into hardware, or upnp streaming software. (then any upnp compatible device could use airplay)

Suddenly you'd have even high end hifi playing straight from iTunes.

Now there are ways of getting high def tracks into iTunes..

This is the future IMHO

But I'm not sure what is available right now, and whether your budget will get anything decent.

My take would be to spend most on the amp and speakers, (the audioengines have lots of positive reviews) and stay with AE for now. Sit it out a while. And see whether airplay gets added into upnp software, or iTunes suddenly is opened up to upnp.

As far as DACs go, there are alot of great buys out there and prices are continuing to fall with competition.

This site has great info on ALL DACs! But I agree. Keep everything separate.

Then if/when airplay is opened up, buy whatever upnp player suits...

That is unless Apple decides to enter the market big time with some strategic tie ups.

Only time will tell. But I can't see them doing hifi. Just sayin...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Not a huge issue here.

The big thing, is if airplay is opened up. Then you have 24/96 or even 24/192 compatible upnp streamers suddenly playing straight from iTunes.

Now I know you can do this via async USB with things like puremusic, but via wireless.. now that would be cool.

Then all of a sudden, you have multiroom hifi.

The computeraudiofile market is splitting in two directions right now. Even in hiend players. That's why the new WEISS release is so interesting. And LInns decision to drop CD transports and go network (rather than direct USB/FireWire)

The two schools are direct USB/FireWire. And now higher end streamers.

My take. I'm with you. I think it's going the airplay/network route. Mainly because the industry has everything to gain by selling more gear. And multiroom network is THE key here... Look at what ARCAM is about to do. And Niam has just done. They are all getting in on the act...

That's why I say spend most of your budget right now on a great DAC and amp/speaker set up- you are on the right track on this already IMHO :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Denon, B&W and a few that are ready to announce are doing exactly that.

Here's B&W's first foray...http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/Zeppelin_Air/features.html#dramaticimprovements

A Zeppelin that accepts Airplay. Denons higher priced receivers do now also starting with the AVR-991 at $995.00.

It's coming like a freight train.

David

In looking at an Airport Express I have here, I don't see where it takes Airplay. Maybe I'm missing something but as I see it you can have an iTouch, an Apple TV and voila, you have streaming music. With the AE you need to be wirelessly (or wired) to a source on your network be it a Mac Mini or whatever w/ iTunes in order to get music to your hifi.

Not sure about this so if someone can comment I'd be happy to know if this is different.

David

Should I sell my Sonos stock?

:)

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Sonos is not a listed company? You know some inside info?

Ive been beating my head on a brick wall over on their forum for 3 years now screaming for a 24/96 player. Ive been shot down so many times Ive given up. They continue to ignore audiophiles in favour of the mass 16/44 market. Arguing its their proprietry player setup that sells.

They have a point. Its darn good. But airplay might get them rethinking this and returning to music playing quality as well as function. Here's hoping :)

Who was the major consumer electronics speaker company referred to?

A bit too much hyperbole here. Airplay chips aren't going to be put into most of the products talked about on this site!

But a high quality airplay enabled "streamer"' to compete with the Sonos zoneplayer or squeezbox.... Now THAT would be intersting :)

Airplay for audiophiles.... a thread to keep an eye on..

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12880259

It's all happenin' what with Classe now on board (see Chris's report Day3 CES)

A $100 streamer that not only plays iTunes from any computer on your network wireless or otherwise but also accepts Airplay from any Apple device. Oh, it only takes 16/48 but hey...that IS as good as a cd.

To the other question of "who?". B&W for starters. As far as electronics, Denon, Yamaha, etc. are either already on board or will be jumping as soon as they can, believe it!

David

"Oh, it only takes 16/48"

I thought it could stream 24/96. Could someone please confirm this (via the toslink into an appropriate DAc

Tx

:)

I have had loads of problems with my airport express taking a stream from my mac to feed a Bose dock in my front room, will airplay be the solution to my streaming problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me

It will but only if it is not your network that is causing your difficulties connecting things now. In other words, if your network isn't great now then it won't be any better using it in a different way. That said, the Airplay function streaming from my iPad, iTouch, Macbook Pro, etc to a Apple TV2 works as advertised and hasn't hicupped once. It just works.

David

The problem is with my modem not being airport express friendly tho my iPhone and three macs have no issues with connecting to modem.

I have a iBook g3 as my music server downstairs feeding two sets of speakers kitchen and dining thru USB dac and amp. Would like to have front room but no go with the airport.

Would like to know cheapest alternative as my g3 can't do airplay just found out.

Advice would be great.

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me