IGNORED

So today my McIntosh MA9000 arrived at the dealer with a huge hole in the box!...

992Sam

1 hour ago, 992Sam said:

the 450W vs 300W will pair better with my speakers... giving me a ton of headroom, especially since these XR50's have a crazy 81dB sensitivity. 

FWIW, a doubling of power output in watts means no more than a 3 db increase in SPL with no other changes in the system.  A sensitivity of 81dB at 1 watt/1 meter is actually not very high (my Focals are rated at 91 dB at 1W/1m).  So I doubt that you'd hear a difference on most source material.  Also IIRC, your XR50s are rated by McIntosh for a max of 300W.  You're probably fine, but be careful to avoid causing extraneous transients (switching, disconnecting cables etc), e.g. turn the amp on last and off first.  I've done worse, like driving my Rogers LS3/5as with a Hafler 500 for a few years 🤪

I'm a life long Mac lover.  I bought my first new piece (an MX110) in '70, followed by a series of amps (30s, 40s, 75s, and a 275).  I'm sure you're loving every note!  Out of curiosity, why did you buy the 9000 - another system?