IGNORED

Bill Evans Vanguard 1961

Am listening to a take of "Gloria's Step" and have to say that I have never heard a piano trio that is so complete, in the pocket, ...just so there.

Bill is amazing, but Scott's bass playing wasn't matched in melodicism until Jaco came along and Motian's fills and cymbal work are sublimely laid back.

Any jazz piano fans have current favorite trios who follow in their footsteps?

Have a bunch of Mehldau, Hersch, Cyrus Chestnut...who am I missing?

Tone with Soul

Find some Erroll Garner - almost any album will do.  The classic performance is Concert by the Sea, which is not a great technical recording but captures the amazing interplay of a true innovator whose brain is hard wired to those of his bass player and drummer.  Try The Greatest Garner on Atlantic, another wonderful collection of him with bass and drums.

I love the early drumless Oscar Peterson trio albums, especially At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival.  With Ray Brown and Herb Ellis as equal partners, Peterson just cruises in the groove at all tempos in all styles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 1:31 AM, 57gold said:

Am listening to a take of "Gloria's Step" and have to say that I have never heard a piano trio that is so complete, in the pocket, ...just so there.

Bill is amazing, but Scott's bass playing wasn't matched in melodicism until Jaco came along and Motian's fills and cymbal work are sublimely laid back.

Any jazz piano fans have current favorite trios who follow in their footsteps?

Have a bunch of Mehldau, Hersch, Cyrus Chestnut...who am I missing?

and check out 19 year old Danish bassist NHOP, playing with Bill. At that time maybe the closest anyone got to Scott.

Holy cow...never heard of NHOP.  Just spent a few minutes on web and found him playing Donna Lee on stand up with Joe Pass at a break neck tempo...incredible technique, timing, and he hits the notes that Pass misses.  Brilliant, as was Scott, whose melodic playing was groundbreaking.

Will have to check out Bobo.  Thanks for the multiple heads ups.

Tone with Soul