IGNORED

Lush^3 - Share your configuration experiences

PeterSt

Hahahahaha, you got me with the cowbell...I did misspelled the word.  I do know that you know more about cows and bulls than the rest or majority of us.

Do you know what?  Mr Roch had a dairy farm where he played Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, you name it, to the cows while they were milking...and also he got one of the best milk production daily here in Costa Rica.  So, I can assure you that Mr. Roch really knows about cows and bulls.

This is the definition of cowbell musical instrument: Tuned cowbells or Almglocken (their German name, ‘Alm’ meaning a mountain meadow, and ‘Glocken’ bells), sometimes known by the English translation alpine bells (also  Alpenglocken in German), typically refer to bulbous brass bells that are used to play music, sometimes as a novelty act or tourist attraction in the northern Alps, and sometimes in classical music, as in Richard Strauss's Alpine Symphony. Since they are tuned differently, in order to distinguish individual animals, they can be collected "from the pasture" in random tunings, but commercial sets in equal temperament are also available. The metal clapper is retained, and they sound much noisier than handbells, which are otherwise used similarly in ensembles.

Happy listening!

Speakers: CLXs / BF-210 sub Martin Logan. Cable: SPM Nordost Reference speakers and Interconnect RCAs. Conrad Johnson: ET-7S2 pre and Classic 120SE power amp.  Holo May KTE DAC. Power Conditioner: BPT Signature 3.5 Plus.  Computer: Mac Pro later 2013 cylindrical shape. USB cable: Lush ^V3. Shun Mook products: Mechanical Ground and SMD. CD transports: Bel Canto CD2 and CD3t. Linn Sondek LP-12 with Magnepan Unitrack tonearm. Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird low output MC.  Oracle Delphy VII, Syrinx PU3 tone arm and Denon DL 103R MC low out put MC.  Phono Preamp: Vincent Pho300 modified with special caps and metal foil resistors. 

• 2 months later...

Hola Chicos,

Recently I got a Holo May Kte DAC.  And the sound now with the above connection is kinda dull. I went back to the recommended by Peter and now the strings are back with great dynamics and high frequency content. With my Exasound dac, the overall sound was bright and sometimes strident, a reason why I was using the green instead the yellow.  

Now is right with Peter recommendation.  Y and W are the only ones connected to connector B.  

Happy listening!

Speakers: CLXs / BF-210 sub Martin Logan. Cable: SPM Nordost Reference speakers and Interconnect RCAs. Conrad Johnson: ET-7S2 pre and Classic 120SE power amp.  Holo May KTE DAC. Power Conditioner: BPT Signature 3.5 Plus.  Computer: Mac Pro later 2013 cylindrical shape. USB cable: Lush ^V3. Shun Mook products: Mechanical Ground and SMD. CD transports: Bel Canto CD2 and CD3t. Linn Sondek LP-12 with Magnepan Unitrack tonearm. Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird low output MC.  Oracle Delphy VII, Syrinx PU3 tone arm and Denon DL 103R MC low out put MC.  Phono Preamp: Vincent Pho300 modified with special caps and metal foil resistors. 

Interesting ... This is what I wrote on my own forum only a couple of days ago:

--------------------------------------------

Hi all,

This must be the longest "review" I experienced ever. Say that from day one I loved it, but it is so good that it seems "wrong".
But I now finally decided to come forward with it.

A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-G

This is from July 17 (2021).
It was handed by a nice man Roberto Herrera and he plays music himself. He and his band, also record music and to me it sounds as the finest recordings.

What he himself tells about this configuration, comes down to "very realistic" (my words). 
I will make this of it, after more than 2 months of listening :

This is what I wrote down during the very first moments of listening :

First impression, … too technical. Not analog.

This kind of thought remains until today. But it is always immediately followed by my impression "but hey, this can't be more real !". It really and seriously is so much representing all realties imaginable, that, well, I am still listening to it with open mouth.
It once again is something that changes your existing and well known music so much, that you are sure you are playing a cover band or something.

The detail in the mid is enormous. Things which should be forward just are that. Laid back ? then it is there in the back indeed. It just all fits.
The old music is now even more new than it already was. And yes, music from that era of concern (say mid to end 60's) show even better what a lack of compression was (but avoid the remasters).

It is like what happened with the NOS1-USB version : we could not tell about its sound any more. This now happens to this config too. I can't describe it other than "so good" (which should mean : so real).

Notice that the real stuff happens (for me) in combination with these XXHighEnd settings (this is really crucial) :

Q1 = 14, xQ1 = 4 (the xQ1 4 disallows Hi-res to play);
Q3,4,5 = 0,0,1 (the most crucial of them all);
SFS = 10.13
ClockRes = 10ms
Core Appointment Scheme = 3-5 (just saying as I am using this always).

I hope you will be shocked. And oh, somehow I am very sure that this config requires breaking in. Not sure whether this is "my mind" needing that or that it is physically in the cable. But even after this more than 2 months on a daily basis I judge it as better again. This is really odd.
Possibly this relates to my first impression of "not analog"; so indeed it really is an other direction of the sound (it could be quite opposite to what we know from the introduction of the Lush^1).
Anyway my message : try not to give up too soon. Instead try to envision all the extra "messages" now present. See though how the drummer hits a cymbal. It's really these things which were added. More visuals on the artists. But also stuff like cymbals themselves. More metal. Less analogue ? no, more metal because a cymbal *is* metal ! That kind of thing(s).
Thus, force yourself a couple of days into this. Try to watch yourself smiling more and more.
--------------------------------------------

Re: Lush^3 (see in there for a few most positive responses from others)

And I was still reluctant to post this in A/S. Now I finally did - haha. And no, I am not changing back. 😊

So thank you very much, Roberto !

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Thanks for your kind words Peter...my Holo May Kte is not broken inn yet...needs more time, so my appreciation might be wrong...but the Y/W on connector B brought the little brightness that I was missing. The R2R is different to the DS, and I can conclude that the R2R is more natural, more life like...the Holo with the G/W is kinda dull...

I will be trying the config...once I have full broken inn my Holo...I am hearing more details and more musical info now that I am  back to your recommendation.  Yes I know the great involving and definition sound that I got with my Exasound DAC E-32.  But I was very used to its sound, a reason why I went crazy with the G/W config.  I am with you, highly recommended for those who are seeking the right timbre and ambiance into the recordings.  

This Holo May is totally different.  I can sense where it is taking me, definitively another level of sound quality than my beloved Exasound, and I can say the holographic presentation that I am getting is something that my ears are not believing...I have a deepness of the musical instruments at the stage that I never had before...I can sense the bass notes much easier and the chords I can call the harmony better.  It is amazing unit. But I am missing that definition that I got...time, that's what I need, break inn time.

Voices and the musical instruments are projected in the air with much space between them  and a big, hug, enormeous stage.  I am always playing at the same SPL level...I don't play the music too loud. Enough to have the band in front of me. Usually 70 to 80dB of SPL (Weighting C scale) in my room.  I don't need more.  Peaks could get up to 85 to 90, but never more.  

My ears must get accustomed to this new sound.  I beg for your forgiveness, I will report my findings later on.  The Exasound was kinda bright, and with the G/W config gave to my ears the right amount of musical balance with the right energy, dynamics on the musical instruments.  I am not getting that with the Holo, the good thing, I know that I will.

I have to thank to you again for this marvellous Lush^V3...it is breath taking what it does to my sound quality!

Happy listening!

Lush is still going strong, I see. (I switched to AES.) But, somebody should take on the challenge of combining photos of the wiring with a chart of changes in a handful of sonic characteristics! All the codes, WRGB, SRGB, blah blah are too difficult for simple minds like mine. As the saying goes, "Photos or it didn't happen!"  😀

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Hola feelingears,

The codes are the color of the cables.  Connector A is from where the signal starts, B is where the signal through the cable ends.  As an example, from the computer (A) to the DAC (B).  

The colours:

R = Red

W = White

Y = Yellow

B = Black

G = Green 

If Peter says A= B is not connected means Black is not connected at the connector A.

Happy listening!

Chicos,

I wrote yesterday that I was going to use again Y/W in the B connector, but my ears tricked me.  I am back again with G/W.  The right amount of energy with the tip stick of the drummer player to the cymbals is superb, also the timbre of the strings are more precise...I am more involved with the musicians. What amused me is that I don't know what happened two days ago here in my system...today everything started to sound as it should, but was a little over bright, I definitively love Green and White only on the connector B.

Right now I am listening Haydn: Concertos for Cello. Jean Guihen.  This is a Harmonia Mundi recording. You can feel de direction of the bow and the attack to the strings...fantastic definition.  

The Absence Album by Melody Gardot, in track No 8 there is a clarinete along with a Hammond B3, the deep bass and how the bass player is plucking the strings is amazing.  Great definition here too.  

Having a new device in the system and you are still not accustomed to it, makes you think that going back at your previous settings you might get back what you are missing...how wrong I was!  Please excuse me again!

Happy listening!

29 minutes ago, elcorso said:

And I dare to say that it takes up to 3 months or so.

Only then did I get transparent and detailed highs (among other things ...)

Best,

Roch

Sorry, but my current and last 3 months configuration is:

A: W-Y-R-G      B: W-Y

Best,

Roch

That's OK Roch, your ears and your liking!...my dac is changing every day...so please do not take me as a good info.  I did change to Green and White two months or so ago too.  Different liking, does not means anything...just liking!

Happy listening!

I don't know what happened.  Yesterday I was complaining about the bass, and today I am amused. 

I went to bed very late, and woke up early in the morning.  Being Friday, I took the day off, and spent all the time listening again this miracle. 

After listening over 12 hours, I have to report that the bass is fantastic.  I am not using my sub. With the jazz group Four Play, everything is precise with the right deepness of the bass, with great detail...this USB cable is amazing. 

In the Album Silver, on the second track "Horace" the cymbals are project in a space where the drums are, right there, and the piano stage position is at the right front, having the bass center bottom.  The guitar is located at the center and little bit to the right and all the musicians are truly having fun playing together. The dynamics are life like...I love this.

Happy listening!

ok, thanks for this new configuration. I noticed last time that a change in the connections, you have to sit for a day before jumping to conclusions. Perhaps that is why the previous institution did not get a consensus. Maybe it has to do with parasitic capacitance. In any case, I'm very curious.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

I had it for over two months, and recently (two weeks) I just changed my DAC and it is changing its sound quality for good from one day to another.  Three days ago, the unit (now I think that my ears really tricked me) was dull, then I went back to the previous config (B= Y W) which gave me a little brightness. The next day, with my ears very clear, I went back to this last config (B= G W).   Try it, you might like it as I do.  There is nothing to loose and perhaps a lot of detail and the right energy at the percussion...it is a very precise sound to my ears.

The brightness is gone, and the cymbals are amazing. The stage is wide and the musical instruments and voices are great too. Deep bass is granted too. 

Happy listening¡

I have never had brightness, not a little or a lot, exclusively attributable to the Lush ^ 3 ...

I'm afraid that when you go to a different configuration with this cable, it takes a long time for results to come through, so it might be unwise to be guided by just a few days of listening to it.

Still on B= Y W

Best,

Roch

I could hear a difference changing to B: W G from B: Y W, but thought I may have lost some bass weight, the rest was clearly improved.

After 3 weeks it just keeps getting better and lo and behold the bass has returned with a vengeance. I've readjusted speaker positioning as a result.

Certainly in my room the best configuration yet for the Lush 3. Thanks Roberto. We will forgive you for buying a new DAC.

Robert

IMG_0746.JPG

Robert,

that happens when you get confused as I did. My dac is getting better and better.

I am with you too. Connector B: W/G.  

Happy listening!

Allow me to throw some voodoo at the party ...

In my original post about this config (A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-G) you can see me talking about "getting used to". However, more often already I squeezed a "configs must break in ?" in between the lines;

Well, this could be a first config which most clearly demonstrates that the configuration itself requires a (long) break-in period ? I say this because the responses from others (like "you") seem to come down to a common denominator of not liking it at first, which makes a 180 degree U-turn later into liking it the most.

It seems so hard to imagine that our brain needs to adapt, but it is quite likely that.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 10/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, PeterSt said:

Allow me to throw some voodoo at the party ...

In my original post about this config (A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-G) you can see me talking about "getting used to". However, more often already I squeezed a "configs must break in ?" in between the lines;

Well, this could be a first config which most clearly demonstrates that the configuration itself requires a (long) break-in period ? I say this because the responses from others (like "you") seem to come down to a common denominator of not liking it at first, which makes a 180 degree U-turn later into liking it the most.

It seems so hard to imagine that our brain needs to adapt, but it is quite likely that.

Hi Peter,

If you are talking about Haiti Papa Doc Duvalier I agree, he dominated by voodoo suggestion this poor country for 14 years !!! 😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Duvalier

Best,

Roch

Hola Chicos,

This is my very personal opinion.  What I do like not necessary must be your liking and also, what you liked, not necessary must be my liking.  

The configuration at the connector B: Y/G the bass is stronger, but in my system lacks the precision that I am wanting to get. Some musical bass notes are too big.  My bass has never sounded that way.  On the other hand, if you like that bass coloration or if in your system it is the best way to listen to the bass, it is OK.  It is wonderful to have a product where we can config it to our needs and liking. 

I am just reporting that in the connector B: G/W, the bass in my system is more liking of how my bass sounds live. There are certain musical notes that have more natural resonances than others. Also the stronger bass notes had gone. In my system, this config has a naturalness that I never got.  

I am really enjoying those fine tunes...and the great musician(s) playing for me in the recordings.

Happy listening!

On 10/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, elcorso said:

Hi Peter,

If you are talking about Haiti Papa Doc Duvalier I agree, he dominated by voodoo suggestion this poor country for 14 years !!! 😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Duvalier

Best,

Roch

Just to clarify:

This was a joke regarding the vodoo ...

Many years ago I met an acquaintance, we began to talk about sound equipment, when I described mine with irony, he said, ah, you are an audiophile, one of those who listens more to the failures of your sound equipment than to music ... I said, that's right and I also practice vodoo ... because I knew that this guy was very superstitious !!!

Roch

Also changed to W/G on B side. I think this can be really good. Better and more detailed mids and highs. 

Music seems more snappy and rythmic as well.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

OK, now my new DAC, the Holo May Kte is bringing a detail that I never had before. This detail is granted by the configuration at the connector B: G/W/. 

The sound of the strings, specially the double bass and the cello is more life like.  Also this config is showing a dynamics with much precision.  I can sense the low frequency of the cymbals, and yes low frequency. Snap your nail at the border of a cymbal, Paiste, Zildjian or Sabian (to name a few most used brands) and there is a very low frequency while they are vibrating. If you have a chance to have a cymbal next to you, try it, you will be very surprised. 

The body of the musical instruments is now projected into my virtual stage with the right size and also with the right dynamics (almost).  Try to get this  DMP recording: "Quality Of Silence" by the drummer Steve Davis. On the second track, it opens with 3 or 4 big cymbals and he also use a big Hi-Hat  with a 15" size cymbals due to the energy sound. My ears tell me that the possible brand of these cymbals are Sabian or Paiste.  I found in Facebook this video where you can see Steve playing and also see the middle central location cymbal vibrating. The low frequency there is evident along with the vibration, not only high frequency. https://www.facebook.com/jazzconceptsbysteve/videos/1043732859390591

Here is another video where you can see Lenny Arriale trio where Steve plays.  The sound effects by this drummer are fantastic:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI31tMBxpp4&t=206s

What amazed me is the timbre and the right energy on every stroke.  You can hear when he is using the tip of the stick, or the middle or the bottom of it for certain musical cymbal effects.  This is a very good recording for testing your audio system.

The config at the connector B: Y/W the bass energy is too much for my system. I am getting more bass energy than the config B:G/W.  The problem is that my ears tell me that the bass deep musical notes are oversized, and also it is overall less transparent. 

So, try for some time at the connector B:G/W. I do find the bass with the right size and the right bass resonances with great body and incredible brass instruments.  The percussion is projected with a lot of space between the drums set, as a real live one.  Also the best sound for classical music.  I forget that I am listening to my system and the music immerse me into the place where the recording was made.  

Happy listening!

Well now several weeks I listen to the new pin configuration. The change is not subtle, the first impression is a bit more thin, but the space and better texture are immediately noticeable. Yes you have to get used to it but this is just much nicer. Going back to the old situation immediately gives a duller sound image, and I was so happy with the result before...
How wonderful is this lush madness!

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

• 1 month later...

Howdy after the break in period and trying the roberrherra config I did a dozen variations on it I found it to be a little splashy in the cymbals and bass to be wide.  So after many back and forth I found a variation on roberraherra’s I was wanting more focus the bass a little more and cymbals to sound more distinct without being fatiguing.  I also find the drum hits to be more distinct better timbre.

A:WGYR B:WG

At first this one caught me ear but after testing it out on variety of genres and music with varying amounts of compression I found it to be fatiguing to open on top and dare I say overdriven.  I liked the bass but once’s the top end kicked in I found myself reaching for the dial.

A:WYRG B:WY 

I did a dozen more but these two had the most promise in my setup.