IGNORED

Lush^3 - Share your configuration experiences

PeterSt

On 10/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, PeterSt said:

For two days (from of Oct 11) I have  been listening to 

A: B-W-G, B: B-W-G

I liked this config, maybe better than the ones listed prior to Oct. 9 because nothing was annoying me. But spoiled as I am by now, I also did not find it really special (compared to Lush^2 sure Yes).

Then :

Oct 13, 2020

A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-Y-R
Please notice that this config was handed to me off-line by someone who apparently knows what he is doing. Let the man step forward so he can receive the credits. 🙂

1676592180_AW-Y-R-GBW-Y-R-a.png.7ec47619b43a7921360e6cdd042c3f8f.png

This configuration shows an unsurpassed clarity in the highs. It is almost unbelievable that it can happen. Together with it, all the color is there (cymbals).

My initial description as written in the document I maintain for this:

----

I think it is a WOW. Highs (cymbals) are the best with colors. Also a mighty interesting sound. So realistic.
Skins of drums … also a WOW. So soft, so nicely developed. So colorful.

----

Yesterday I was intrigued by those "firm" highs; Earlier on, I think I told about the 6dB louder I play since the Lush^3, but this is "technically" by observing the digital attenuation I use. Yesterday I also measured and was shocked to read 95dBSPL on the meter, especially on the splashing of cymbals (A Weighed, Fast Response).

Regarding this, notice that my normal "loud level" is 90dBSPL, which is on peaks, but which is not on the sound of cymbals, that I recall. So this is really something.

Real cymbals, show 110dBSPL (measured as always at 1m / ~3ft distance). This, while a grand plays at 90dBSPL; I don't know where the limits are these days, but I start to feel lucky that the cymbals now seem to play at 95dBSPL only, because 110dBSPL would really be too loud (combined with a realistic level of piano).

Outside of the above, the bass is also I-don't-know how many steps forward. Here it is clear that this is all about less distortion again, referring to my earlier remark (possibly this was over at Phasure) that I had to tweak playback (XXHE) settings somewhat in order to tame somewhat higher frequency (like low mid-bass) buzzing; It is immediately clear that this now has all gone.

Looking forward to tonight's session and the 4th day into this config ...

Shipments from of Monday (Oct 19) will go with this configuration.

Peter

Hi Peter, you definitely are amazing and those lush 3 cables are amazing. I received my lush3 and now playing around config, can I ask kindly what is your preferred setting now is it different than this one, and for this config in this post, shall we put the black covers on the remaking not used ones, or shall we keep the non used one bare without the black cover plastics. I am aiming for a sweet full mid range and analogue sound so is this the setting to go for. Can you send a pic with the latest best setting you like. and how to cover the non used ones with black covers 

On 10/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, PeterSt said:

On 1/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, AndyDC said:

what's the suggested play time it needs before the character stabilises?

Hi Andy, this is fairly quick. I would say after a day - maybe two.

But it may take a quite some longer while before it reaches its "top", although you will not notice that because it goes so gradually.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, AndyDC said:

possible quality from the AQ USB C-A converter, I've searched far and wide for a higher quality version of this, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I can't help but think this is bottlenecking the behaviour of the Lush.

Audio Quest might be the only one making them. Btw, from other adapters (like from mini USB) I never heard any complaints that they influence the sound of the Lush cable(s) really. This is similar to having something in the middle e.g. ISO Regen) not doing anything to the cable itself, while another cable realises the other half t the connection.

So I wouldn't worry about that ?

It will merely be the MacBook Pro having its influence. Not the MacBook in particular, but the fact that it is a "smaller" (less capable) machine. Might you have something else around (e.g. iMac), try it. You will see ...

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 1/22/2021 at 12:08 PM, hykbooks said:

Hi Peter, you definitely are amazing and those lush 3 cables are amazing. I received my lush3 and now playing around config, can I ask kindly what is your preferred setting now is it different than this one, and for this config in this post, shall we put the black covers on the remaking not used ones, or shall we keep the non used one bare without the black cover plastics. I am aiming for a sweet full mid range and analogue sound so is this the setting to go for. Can you send a pic with the latest best setting you like. and how to cover the non used ones with black covers 

Hi !

The config you received really is the one I (and by far most others) like best. The picture of it was printed on the with-going paper, so it should have been configured like that.

The "black covers" are there only for protection and, say, shortcutting with other bare materials otherwise. However, they also influence sound again, sadly. Sadly, because even their position makes a difference (like sideways on one pine or connect two pins) and therefore the spare ones are there. Sadly, because it is an undoable task to iterate through all the possibilities. ... And so we don't (with the Lush^2 a few people tried it). In the end I myself learned to not care about it. And if you want to ensure yourself that nothing changed underway because one fell off, leave them of to begin with.

On an other note, it is not so that the difference is as huge as with an other config. Plus as we know, it might be a psychological thing (the configs surely are not). Anyway think of the pins as small antennas and two connected pins should not be individual antennas. However, say that you are able to connect 3 bare pins with each other, then the 3 are still one connected antenna. And what that does ? ... (similar as what the shields do, but in way small fashion).

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 1/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, CheapSplurge said:

Does this cable make the treble smooth? Is it capable of smoothing out any upper mids /treble issue?

Most people would say Yes because it sounds more analogue. But I say it is the other way around:

Because the representation of the signal is way more accurate to what's in the audio file*, you'd have way less distortion and *that* is audible as more smooth. But in practice it is more transient. This is easily audible on the more detail each of the Lush incarnations bear, with the Lush^3 as a "ridiculous" example. You'll just don't understand how it is possible that all that was in the song etc. always, never heard. And this plays at each frequency (this latter is harder to explain, but easy to grasp when you are used to Lush^1 or Lush^2).

N.b.: Please, I am only the "salesman" (and designer) here (though a hopefully honest one); it would be better if others would attest (or debunk) this.

*) This is a long shot because that file (RedBook) normally is to be reconstructed hence it goes through digital "filtering" anyway.

An other answer would be : sure. because you are able to emphasize or highlight frequency ranges. However, there are no rules for that (like "connecting the Green wire at the A side will provide ..."). On the other hand, you will soon notice that what's provided (the configuration it is shipped with) will let you think "oh wow, where have those problems gone". I can not guarantee that but I never heard other stories than similar to that.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 1/24/2021 at 12:41 AM, PeterSt said:

Hi !

The config you received really is the one I (and by far most others) like best. The picture of it was printed on the with-going paper, so it should have been configured like that.

The "black covers" are there only for protection and, say, shortcutting with other bare materials otherwise. However, they also influence sound again, sadly. Sadly, because even their position makes a difference (like sideways on one pine or connect two pins) and therefore the spare ones are there. Sadly, because it is an undoable task to iterate through all the possibilities. ... And so we don't (with the Lush^2 a few people tried it). In the end I myself learned to not care about it. And if you want to ensure yourself that nothing changed underway because one fell off, leave them of to begin with.

On an other note, it is not so that the difference is as huge as with an other config. Plus as we know, it might be a psychological thing (the configs surely are not). Anyway think of the pins as small antennas and two connected pins should not be individual antennas. However, say that you are able to connect 3 bare pins with each other, then the 3 are still one connected antenna. And what that does ? ... (similar as what the shields do, but in way small fashion).

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter, can you send me the pic again, I lost that paper, and totally forgot what the config was, as I played around with config, can you please send me a pic with your preferred config with the black covers in place. 

Currently have a Lush 2, just acquired. I enjoy it, it helps shape sound. 

I'd like to try a configuration with it to tame treble and upper mids spikes. I just want a super smooth treble sound if possible. Can someone recommend a configuration they stumbled upon that archives this? 

I'd like to see how much the lush 2 can help with treble, before I order a Lush 3 to take things to a new lvl. 

17 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

I'd like to try a configuration with it to tame treble and upper mids spikes. I just want a super smooth treble sound if possible.

Well ... IMHO no such thing exists unless you want to deaden the sound. Stuffed ears like. If you really suffer from harsh highs, any of the Lush incarnations surely help, but the issue lays elsewhere (I'd say).

But tell me, does the Lush^2 improves for you ? if so, with which configuration is that ?

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 1/29/2021 at 11:19 AM, hykbooks said:

Hi Peter, can you send me the pic again

Sure ! But it is the same you posted yourself (a few posts back):

image.png.bd36253d6efd5abd3c4ac545fc90ef96.png

XXHighEnd (developer)

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Well ... IMHO no such thing exists unless you want to deaden the sound. Stuffed ears like. If you really suffer from harsh highs, any of the Lush incarnations surely help, but the issue lays elsewhere (I'd say).

But tell me, does the Lush^2 improves for you ? if so, with which configuration is that ?

Peter

The lush 2 does. I've so far tried only the stock, and the alternative stock (as shown in paper) and then a random one. 

The sound came through more organic. Nothing was muffled. Just smoothed out. Maybe things took a hit on dynamics, but I'm OK with that compromise. 

I'm just wondering what the lush 3 can do a little better than the lush 2.

Its a little pricy for me, hence why I got the lush 2 used. 

But I may take the plunge if it's 20% *better* as far as taming the highs. 

4 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

The lush 2 does. I've so far tried only the stock, and the alternative stock (as shown in paper) and then a random one. 

The sound came through more organic. Nothing was muffled.

I think my previous response was not accurate enough;

What I meant to say was : Sure I'd have configurations for you which take out the treble as (sort of !) per your request, but it won't be for the better because it would make the sound muffled.

But otherwise it is exactly as you noticed. And on top of that the sound comes with way more detail. So that seems counter intuitive.

The Lush^3 is quite "infinitely" better at that. Of course we wouldn't know what "infinitely" exactly means, but to the extent that you will be shocked what is all in the music what you never heard before. And without exception that I heard of, everybody (including me) tells the same : you can play way louder (like 6dB which is twice as loud literally) without observing that this is so (but your volume knob will tell you). Meanwhile you have all that additional "data" in the music. It is hard to believe that it can happen, but ... it does.

My advice : hold on to the Lush^2, obtain the Lush^3 and only if you like the Lush^3 for the better, sell the Lush^2. But you will ...

Send back the Lush^3 if it does not work out for you (Shipping is yours).

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not keen on experimenting with various configurations, so I replaced my Lush^2 with a Lush^3, both “as shipped”. In my system, there is no question that the Lush^3 sounds much more detailed and natural. The difference is not subtle. The Lush^3 is simply an outstanding achievement as is.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Received my Lush 3 today after using Lush 2, and now I'm a little confused (correction: I was always confused). 

A couple  of the tabs fell off during shipping (one may have come from the Ethernet 3, which was in the same package).  As I'm looking at some of the photos on both the instruction sheet and on this website, I'm seeing some naked copper prongs (oh my!).  In the past, we've had the decency to cover them up with the tabs!!  Is there a sound difference with the tabs on/off when the prongs are not connected to the wires?

4 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

Peter,

Received my Lush 3 today after using Lush 2, and now I'm a little confused (correction: I was always confused). 

A couple  of the tabs fell off during shipping (one may have come from the Ethernet 3, which was in the same package).  As I'm looking at some of the photos on both the instruction sheet and on this website, I'm seeing some naked copper prongs (oh my!).  In the past, we've had the decency to cover them up with the tabs!!  Is there a sound difference with the tabs on/off when the prongs are not connected to the wires?

Okay, I've answered my own question by looking at Peter's post above from January 23rd.   The short answer is that Phasure has gone nudist, totally and unabashedly nudist.    No fig leaves to cover the exposed prongs. 

With not more than an hour's burn-in, I'm enjoying A: B-W-G, B: B-W-G more than anything in Lush2 and more than my Sablon 2017 or Sablon 2020.

16 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

The short answer is that Phasure has gone nudist, totally and unabashedly nudist.

Hahaha. I can imagine that continuous vibration of the (UPS) truck over a 100 miles of unpaved road, may cause the tabs (jumpers) to come off.

Just put the jumpers somewhere, as they are only for protecting the bare pins; those pins should not shortcut with your wife's metal dress because the dress may be ruined, and the speakers may exhibit a tick (I don't think your wife's scream will be captured and be D to A'd over USB.

I think you have read that people report that the position of the jumpers may matter. I don't deal with trying that out. It would be just really too much (for my wife ?).

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Lush 3 has replaced the Lush 2 and the uspcb has made way for the Lush 2. So the chain is OpticalRendu / IsoRegen / Kii Control
I've been listening to the latest change for at least three weeks now. Adding the Lush 3 gives a big improvement, it seems to play louder, or with more energy. Highs are much more refined. The sound image is also better, maybe a little bigger, but above all better focus and placement in depth. Actually all changes that I did not immediately expect and also nothing that I imagined. By the way, I had also agreed with Peter Stordiau to return the cable if it would not be an improvement for me, that was no problem. I was also very satisfied with the sound, I certainly wanted to improve on some details but I was critical of whether a second Lush would bring something more. Sending the cable back to Peter is not going to happen. Much has been written about the Lush 2 but I believe the Lush 3 has a lot more to offer. Although my change also concerns the removal of the uspcb, I expect the latest generation of cables from Peter to be a fantastic asset.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

Hi Simon - Thank you for this feedback.

This gives me a nice opportunity to express about a new configuration I found and now happily play with for a month.

I hope that people can check this out and let us know their findings because I myself lost the reference of the current consensus which is A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y-R. And because this is the invention of @lmitche, I'd especially like Larry's opinion.

This is the text I put in my bookkeeping on this:

--------------

June 1, 2021 (???)
A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y
Difficult to describe because this happened because of a loose wire – two actually. The B on the A side and the R on the B side. However, because I work with dipswitches since November 2020, I never noticed this. Also, the B on the A side was already lifted by means of the dip switch. The additional difficulty :
I changed to the Blaxius^2.5 (from Blaxius^2)  in the same period of time and I also changed the Q3,4,5 settings to match that interlink better. So for net result – also difficult to describe because it goes back to the introduction of the Blaxius^2.5:
Unsurpassed metal “short” sound (as in pin-sharp) which goes along with very long cymbals (this is almost contractionary). The sound, which is now enormously delineated with no distortion from note to note, is mostly that because of this configuration (while the basis for this springs from the Blaxius^2.5 for sure). I mean, when I found out about the loose wires about a month ago, I obviously corrected all to the “consensus” configuration right away but that did not last for three tracks because I found the sound “messy”. All is relative of course, but I quickly re-applied this new A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y and all was fine again right away.
I listened to this between about a month and something like 4 months (I really don’t know when the wire(s) went loose).

--------------

Thank you guys ! (and I hope we just found us a new USB cable)

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Meanwhile, two days aso I received the nicest review about the Lush^3 ever. OK, I have dozens and dozens more per private email but I regard this one "deep" in the sense you will read yourself, below. Btw, I am not too keen on quoting (anonymous) findings of customers (I just don't like the principle much), so I never do. In this case I want to make an exception because the customer actually asked to quote him, if only his last name would be left out. You can see it in his text, which I pasted in full:

-----------------------------

Dear Peter,

Since I’m not active on forums, I’ve decided to email you directly in regards to the Lush^3  (70cm) I recently purchased from you.  Presently, there’s about 40 hours on the cable.

This thing is significant!  (In a great way).  Please excuse my enthusiasm—I realize that the ^3 has been around long enough that you have digested the praise and accolades.  Choosing an item to purchase is a very slow process for me.

I read incessantly and have the capability to glean important info from between the lines.  Sampling impressions from varied sources also contributes to a degree of success.  

I have been accustomed to a somewhat linear progression of sound quality until this humble Lush^3 came along!  Not to take anything away from the Lush^3, but my hunch is that my audio system was at a threshold or tipping point that could only be realized by your Lush^3.

I could have been very happy in ignorance to it’s potential.  This system sounded great before it’s addition.  Now, I’m amazed and struggling to grasp the humongous improvement.  I recall simple recordings.  I recall high quality reel to reel.  I recall quality analogue turntable playback.  I’m reminded of them all when I listen to my server/streamer front end with the Lush.  But, it is a different beast in it’s own right.

Better.  At first listen, I thought something in the high frequencies was missing because they(high frequencies) always carried something (by degree) uncomfortable like the glare from a trumpet.  Glare is present in live music as well.  I still know where glare comes from and sure enough, some recordings are trying to be nasty while never driving me away on that aspect alone.  What’s new is the presence of “the source of the sound” ie., a reed, a chamber, the column of air passing over vocal cords!  Such nuance is deceptively there for the discovery.  It draws no attention to itself.  It behaves naturally much the same way multiple melody lines can be followed or ignored into a meld.  Conclusion is that information is greater at higher frequencies.  (There’s some physics that support this).  Yet, all the cues normally associated with high frequencies are gone.

I want to say something to all the doubters, naysayers, OCD measurement people, AB double blind insist upon’s and generally argumentative types. (Borrowed from Hindu writings)

A snake in the road ahead remains a snake until it is accurately perceived, becoming the piece of rope that it is.  Everything you think is true about audio goes unchanged until it gets that “flip” to reality.  Up to that time you’re locked into a rigid belief system.

I keep wanting to describe the new sound as “rounder”, but that implies wider at the equator and shrinking approaching the poles.  The experience cannot be adequately described.  If a person is moved by music, then this will be a welcoming adventure.  Adventures generally involve some discomfort—chaffing boots, muscle aches, a few extremes.  Not this Lush.  It’s absolutely a contradiction in the way it welcomes you home to what you know is natural and ultimately real.  To jack up the reality across the board and do it into  frequencies that carry it the most is an act of genius.

Feel free to cut and paste this email to your forum.  I only ask that it is presented in it’s entirety and you respect my privacy by using only my first name. 

System:  Parallel amps into parallel radial speakers (two channel) Roon/Tidal > Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Lush^3 > Yggdrasil V2, gen5 usb > upgraded Decware Zbox > Decware upgraded se84 amp and upgraded Decware Torii Mk3 or Luxman R-1120 > Ohm Walsh 3 xo’s and (the smaller amp) > ERR radials per Bob Ziegler w/ diy outboard crossovers (Mundorf silver/gold/oil bypassed with Arizona Capacitor Cactus Red bypassed with Duelund .01’s.  Dedicated AC line, hospital receptacles and power cords, DH labs.  Morrow M4 interconnects, Supra speaker cables-one pr. with shielding, one pr. w/o.  Odd mixtures of tubes/valves.  Most nos  Amperex, Bendix, RCA, Mazda, Mullard, Gold Lion.  Rigid Rack.  Vibrapods under hardwood over diy sorbo tripods.  Heavy first reflection absorption. Some diffusion on front wall (working to get more).

Thank you for your dedication to great sound.

Sincerely,

Doug

-----------------------------

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 6/27/2021 at 11:31 AM, PeterSt said:

Hi Simon - Thank you for this feedback.

This gives me a nice opportunity to express about a new configuration I found and now happily play with for a month.

I hope that people can check this out and let us know their findings because I myself lost the reference of the current consensus which is A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y-R. And because this is the invention of @lmitche, I'd especially like Larry's opinion.

This is the text I put in my bookkeeping on this:

--------------

June 1, 2021 (???)
A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y
Difficult to describe because this happened because of a loose wire – two actually. The B on the A side and the R on the B side. However, because I work with dipswitches since November 2020, I never noticed this. Also, the B on the A side was already lifted by means of the dip switch. The additional difficulty :
I changed to the Blaxius^2.5 (from Blaxius^2)  in the same period of time and I also changed the Q3,4,5 settings to match that interlink better. So for net result – also difficult to describe because it goes back to the introduction of the Blaxius^2.5:
Unsurpassed metal “short” sound (as in pin-sharp) which goes along with very long cymbals (this is almost contractionary). The sound, which is now enormously delineated with no distortion from note to note, is mostly that because of this configuration (while the basis for this springs from the Blaxius^2.5 for sure). I mean, when I found out about the loose wires about a month ago, I obviously corrected all to the “consensus” configuration right away but that did not last for three tracks because I found the sound “messy”. All is relative of course, but I quickly re-applied this new A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-Y and all was fine again right away.
I listened to this between about a month and something like 4 months (I really don’t know when the wire(s) went loose).

--------------

Thank you guys ! (and I hope we just found us a new USB cable)

Peter

Peter can you please post a picture of how this is configured?  I am a visual guy and need to see what I am to match.  Thanks.