IGNORED

Lush^3 - Share your configuration experiences

1 hour ago, matthias said:

not stirring the pot,

Matt, please respect people's decision to answer (or not) in their own way and by their own decision. Behind the scenes more could be going on (really).

Danke !

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 11/11/2020 at 7:01 AM, PeterSt said:

The currently official "best one" is much better already, but since 3 days I have found a way better one myself again (this is still an official secret - haha).

After a final judgment tonight and carefully observing the properties, I will put up this config and and properties.

Looking forward to trying this out when you're ready to reveal it.

TIA.

6 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:
On 11/11/2020 at 4:01 PM, PeterSt said:

The currently official "best one" is much better already, but since 3 days I have found a way better one myself again (this is still an official secret - haha).

After a final judgment tonight and carefully observing the properties, I will put up this config and and properties.

Looking forward to trying this out when you're ready to reveal it.

The past days I went an other route; I mean, since too few people seem to experiment (which is their good right), I need another way of approaching this. Start at the beginning, like 

A:, B:

That's right. Nothing connected whatsoever. And with Green color. :-)

So I started with this one 3 days ago, and I am still very happy with it. The sound is totally different again, with IMO these features:

- Very very normal but with still enormous detail;

- Sounding like the Blumenhofer Concert X speaker.

The latter is something not everybody will know, but that speaker sounds very special in the highs. Its main character is that a hit closed hi-hat really sounds like that, and that highs generally are rendered like that sound. It is hard to explain. But if I had to buy a new speaker for some reason, I definitely would go for the Blumenhofer. And now my own speakers sound like that. Ha !

Maybe @matthias knows it(s sound) and if so, he may be able to explain better what's special about its sound.

Anyway, this config is the most analog sounding so far, and this expresses mainly in the differentiation of the drums (the various toms) and cymbals. This is so much so (and I like it that much) that I did not have the lust yet to change this config.

Obviously the logic is that nothing is connected, so also nothing can be passed on for electrical noise in the shield from device to device, or from device to the cable itself (the latter as in A: connected and B: open ended). My next attempts will be based upon this principle (nothing connected).

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

- Sounding like the Blumenhofer Concert X Speaker.

The latter is something not everybody will know, but that speaker sounds very special in the highs. Its main character is that a hit closed hi-hat really sounds like that, and that highs generally are rendered like that sound. It is hard to explain. But if I had to buy a new speaker for some reason, I definitely would go for the Blumenhofer. And now my own speakers sound like that. Ha !

Maybe @matthias knows it(s sound) and if so, he may be able to explain better what's special about its Sound.

Ha Peter,

unfortunately not.

I absolutely like two-way speakers with high sensitivity over 100dB and the Concert X is by far the best looking Blumenhofer, so I am very curious how it sounds.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

23 hours ago, PeterSt said:

A:, B:

Okay, here's some feedback.

I spent about a half hour listening to this configuration tonight. While it is a bit more open on the high end, overall it's too sterile for me... my toes weren't tapping. I find your previous favorite...

A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-Y-R

...to be more musical/enjoyable.

I am on the fence between:

-and- A:, B:

My first, gut feeling was the A:, B: was a bit duller, but after a bit, I changed my mind. It's smooth, albeit perhaps not quite as emphasized in the highs.

Emphasized is not the best descriptor, perhaps, as I do not mean the other config is "over bright." 

After an hour or so, I found the A:, B: to be very smooth, and highs still all there. I listened to a lot of piano and trumpet jazz. Tardo Hammer, Cyrus Chestnut and Kenny Dorham stuff. 

Also, I find the percussion work of Brad Dutz (Drums and Bells Comparing Sticks) to be a lot of fun, and a good indicator of drum, cymbal and other percussion sounds. Wildly various smorgasbord of sound. 

Since Peter mentioned these components specifically, I tried that music, and it sounds great with the A:, B: config on my system/ears.

Interesting many years ago(more than 20) it was a tweak to disconnect the screens on interconnects to get better sound. This did spur cables without screens we are talking analogue before digital was up and running.  

Robert

21 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

albeit perhaps not quite as emphasized in the highs.

Emphasized is not the best descriptor, perhaps, as I do not mean the other config is "over bright." 

Hi Markus - I can easily see that you're having a same dilemma as I have. I mean, I wanted to express quite the same, but did not know how to do that in well fashion. Anyway, what I wanted to say is:

This A:, B: configuration is somewhat less tiring for the brain, because it doesn't bring to attention all the extreme details all the time; these extreme details seem to have vanished, BUT they are still there at close listening. So A:, B: is more easy to listen to, and not bad at the same time.

Over at Phasure I just described that A:, B: to me has a quite clear character, which generally is not the best thing (for me, but this one I am able to like).

By sheer coincidence I too listened to a full album with trumpet and I noticed how warm it sounded (say the opposite of how copper should sound, which is very "square" and for which undoubtedly A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-Y-R will be a best).

image.png.aa69b512ee3304f16e6dcfa29dfb5bd6.png

Thank you for your great comment !

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

16 hours ago, robocop said:

Interesting many years ago(more than 20) it was a tweak to disconnect the screens on interconnects to get better sound. This did spur cables without screens we are talking analogue before digital was up and running.  

Hey Robert,

Yes, I was in the league too. But mind you, not knowing better, I could disconnect the ground of one side just the same (not towards speakers).

On a not unimportant note (and FWIW), it is my personal opinion that the not connecting anything for shields is hardly an electrical matter. Instead it is just how shielding works out and this does not related to an electrical connection per sé.

Example :

A:W-Y&R-G, B:

This inter connects the shields of W and Y and separately the shields of R and G. This is done on one side only, so looking from of the B: side, it actually extends the W shield via the A: connector and Y shield. And this occurs "counter flow" directions (from B to A and back from A to B. Try to envision what kind of things will be going on in those shields (assumed "any" in the first place).

This config sounds much better to my ears than :

A:W-Y&R-G, B:W-Y&R-G

which will not allow for "counter flow" at all. Just two pairs of close-by shields connected in parallel and again not connected to the outside at both ends.

This sounds different and my description of it is "nasty sounding".

So this is way way beyond what we both thought of it 20+ years ago, and although we clearly know that it does more than "something" we do not know yet what it is exactly.

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 11/19/2020 at 2:49 AM, FileMakerDev said:

Okay, here's some feedback.

I spent about a half hour listening to this configuration tonight. While it is a bit more open on the high end, overall it's too sterile for me... my toes weren't tapping. I find your previous favorite...

...to be more musical/enjoyable.

Hi FMD,

Your post parallels my experience. The A: B: configuration sucks the life out of the music.

Nevertheless, I am open minded and will give it another try when I have some free time and report back.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Meanwhile I am definitely back on it makes all so enormously interesting.

it makes all so enormously interesting. And pure. And new.

XXHighEnd (developer)

12 hours ago, PeterSt said:

How about I meet you half-way, Peter? 
A: W-Y-R-G, B:

Is that supposed to sound good?

High-end is kind of freaky-good on my system. Base is substantial, may I add. I'll linger on this for a while.

NB: I have an Innuous Phoenix. Both in and out config as above...

18 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

How about I meet you half-way, Peter? 
A: W-Y-R-G, B:

Is that supposed to sound good?

Markus, for me this does not work;

The stereo image seems too narrow and over here there seems to be quite a hole in the frequency spectrum (I'd say in mid bass, which could be why the bass seems to excel (that is so indeed here too)).

There's also insufficient fun from the speed the Lush^3 can express. But this will be (could be ?) related to my overly-fast system.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 5:37 AM, PeterSt said:

Hi Peter,

I just have mine in the rainforest.  Very fast shipping from you to USA, but slow from my shipping forwarding over here...

About 30 hours burn in with exactly the same pinout...

Glorious !!!

Made the "Gatecrashing" album much more listenable than the Lush^2

And the Antolini a real "Knock Out"

Cheers,

Roch

15 hours ago, elcorso said:

And the Antolini a real "Knock Out"

Wait ... I did not talk to anyone about Knock Out, was I ?

Only three days ago I played it myself with a changed config on my Blaxius^2 and in combination with the Lush^3 it indeed was a Knock Out. Wow. I never heard it like that before.

Anyway, pure coincidence I guess.

Nah ... I was talking about Antolini somewhere. But I forgot where it was ...

Thank you Roch !!

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 12/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, tore said:

Peter, can you share the Blaxius^2 config with us ?  😉

Hi tore,

This story is longer (I should write in in the Phasure forum) but for now this will do:

A:B-W, B:B-W

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

@tore, Please notice that this really requires breaking in, as you will be changing the signal "wire" per this change compared to the config the Blaxius^2 is shipped with. Or better: The current flowed over 3 shields, while as per this change it will flow over one shield only (the White).
I really can hear it improving day by day so far.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 1 month later...

My Lush^3 cable arrived in the post today and all I can say is WOW! It really has completely changed the sound of my system for the better, deep, authoritative lows, silky smooth mids + highs without ever being harsh. I agree with what Peter said about it allowing you to listen louder without fatigue. I cannot wait to hear what it sounds like after some burn-in, what's the suggested play time it needs before the character stabilises?

Side note: I'm currently running Macbook Pro > AQ USB C-A converter > AQ Jitterbug > Lush > DAC

I feel as though I'm not getting the highest possible quality from the AQ USB C-A converter, I've searched far and wide for a higher quality version of this, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I can't help but think this is bottlenecking the behaviour of the Lush.

Thanks in advance.