IGNORED

Great Sounding Heavy Metal?

52 minutes ago, Confused said:

@Iving was brave enough to mention the arguably off topic Nirvana, which gives me an excellent excuse to post about a personal favorite of mine, which is the album Nirvana  MTV unplugged in New York.  Not exactly metal, in fact it pretty much genre defying, but it is a great sounding album, surprising good in fact.

Here are a couple of snippets:

(For those that might be interested, the entire album is available on YouTube)

As you (may) know I'm incorrigible when it comes to the history and evolution of music. Iggy Pop's "Raw Power" is often cited as "punk before punk was punk" etc, but is also regarded as *having helped build the foundations of Heavy Metal* e.g. http://metalmofos.com/albums-that-built-the-foundation-of-heavy-metal-iggy-and-the-stooges-raw-power/. Sure Nirvana is a bit left field in this respect - but I chose the tracks off of "Incesticide" deliberately. It's how your ears/brain register "genre" and its parameters. Very subjective! I'm a die-hard Rockabilly fan. I get all oodled up when people describe music as Rockabilly when it just isn't! In my Library, with my own genre tags, I have Rock 'n' Roll and Rockabilly as two different evolutionary branches. I'd get into the ring with anybody on Rockabilly - but I'm no Heavy Metal aficionado and won't hold forth about it any longer. P.S. That Nirvana "Unplugged" Album is off-the-scale fantastic all the way thru - but not Heavy Metal imho!

29 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Quite many MTV Unplugged albums sounded great, eg Clapton's.

I can't recall any of them being sensu stricto metal.

Maybe because they are ..well unplugged..:)

true

come to think of it - what defines Heavy Metal is the guitar head

Guitar head stock icon. Music vector illustration

top second from right

just maybe bottom second and third from left

that's it

ok missed the sg bottom left

@cjf Type O Negative is a solid choice.  Their cover Cinnamon Girl is one of my top cover songs.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

9 hours ago, Jsmith said:

@cjf Type O Negative is a solid choice.  Their cover Cinnamon Girl is one of my top cover songs.

Yeah thats a good tune for sure.

I think all their earlier albums are impressive in terms of content and SQ but it seems they started to get a bit sloppy towards the later albums in terms of SQ where too much compression started to be thrown in. Seems like the same story for all Artists and their later albums, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wore out that Ratt cassette back in the day. 

Ha..I hear you there.

The first cassette I ever bought waaaaay back in the day at the age of 10 or so was Def Leppard Pyromania. I still own it but its seen better days and is as warped as a shitty piece of lumber. I break out my legacy Kenwood cassette deck I have and listen thru some of the surviving tapes on occasion.

Too bad the Tape desk is only RCA Analog Out or else I would rip them to .wav.

1 minute ago, cjf said:

Ha..I hear you there.

The first cassette I ever bought waaaaay back in the day at the age of 10 or so was Def Leppard Pyromania. I still own it but its seen better days and is as warped as a shitty piece of lumber. I break out my legacy Kenwood cassette deck I have and listen thru some of the surviving tapes on occasion.

Too bad the Tape desk is only RCA Analog Out or else I would rip them to .wav.

I remember buying the Pyromania cassette as well. One of my first. Listened to it the whole way home in my dad’s station wagon. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 hours ago, cjf said:

I'll stop here for now. So many to choose from.

The stuff you hear from some folks about Metal not having good SQ is a bunch of hot air.

R-1052494-1314022442.jpeg.jpg

R-1519169-1231460129.jpeg.jpg

R-10497629-1500207726-3920.jpeg.jpg

R-388199-1619880043-6973.jpeg.jpg

I was intrigued that you included The Cult here, and nothing wrong with that, as it happens I was listening to "Love" maybe two weeks back.  I guess they might generally be considered "Gothic Rock" rather than Heavy Metal, although the OP did state that the genre can be a little undefined.  When I think of The Cult, my mind usually drifts to the Sisters of Mercy, although I note that the Sisters of Mercy typically use a drum machine, whereas The Cult use the real thing.  Some maybe The Cult are one side of the genre dividing line and the Sisters of Mercy drift the other?  (or maybe It's all Rock and Roll, as Lemmy would say)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.