IGNORED

Great Sounding Heavy Metal?

Actually my standard listening test set includes this one (I often use the track no 10):

Hal Leonard Metallica The Black Album | Keymusic

If the gear sounds good with this material (and it's supposed to!) and I'm in the \m/ood B| I sometimes play some more extremely sounding stuff, like:

Stain (album) - Wikipedia

or:

Vulgar Display of Power - Wikipedia

I don't test with this one but it's also a charming album :)

Mutter (album) - Wikipedia

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.

―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

Considering the question in chronological order, I shall start here.....

Some of this is not really heavy metal, but for me the title track Paranoid is one of the finest metal tracks ever to be released to this very day...

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

Mmm not sure if it’s metal but anyway,

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 hours ago, Confused said:

Considering the question in chronological order, I shall start here.....

Some of this is not really heavy metal, but for me the title track Paranoid is one of the finest metal tracks ever to be released to this very day...

Was never into Black Sabbath, but audio friend up the road in a couple of recent visits played a track or two from this album, to check the state of play - effectively completely unknown music, for me. Quite brilliant for pointing out when the rig was in shape - when sub-par, this sounds like sludge; when in the zone, quite remarkable to listen to.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Over and out.

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Was never into Black Sabbath, but audio friend up the road in a couple of recent visits played a track or two from this album, to check the state of play - effectively completely unknown music, for me. Quite brilliant for pointing out when the rig was in shape - when sub-par, this sounds like sludge; when in the zone, quite remarkable to listen to.

Be careful not to play it backwards Frank, otherwise you will be sucked into darkness and never post again .....

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

I have always been fond of Motorhead's Overkill, both the track and the album.   

When asked if Motorhead are a Heavy Metal band, Motorhead's Lemmy would typically reply that they play "Rock and Roll".   For me, I always think of Overkill as being some kind of proto-thrash metal.  (it was released in '79) You can all make your own mind up with respect to that thought.

For those that worry about DR rating on recordings, I have heard the track played live.  (with a later line-up)  Based on the live performance I can advise that the track does not have much dynamic range, it is just kind of loud to louder, constantly.

Later line up, live, DR=0.5 ....