IGNORED

Great Sounding Heavy Metal?

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Was never into Black Sabbath, but audio friend up the road in a couple of recent visits played a track or two from this album, to check the state of play - effectively completely unknown music, for me. Quite brilliant for pointing out when the rig was in shape - when sub-par, this sounds like sludge; when in the zone, quite remarkable to listen to.

Be careful not to play it backwards Frank, otherwise you will be sucked into darkness and never post again .....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have always been fond of Motorhead's Overkill, both the track and the album.   

When asked if Motorhead are a Heavy Metal band, Motorhead's Lemmy would typically reply that they play "Rock and Roll".   For me, I always think of Overkill as being some kind of proto-thrash metal.  (it was released in '79) You can all make your own mind up with respect to that thought.

For those that worry about DR rating on recordings, I have heard the track played live.  (with a later line-up)  Based on the live performance I can advise that the track does not have much dynamic range, it is just kind of loud to louder, constantly.

Later line up, live, DR=0.5 ....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just checked out Volbeat  - impressed!! Real songs ... who wouda thunkit - I thought the the point of much of current metal is just to be noise ... correct? 😄

Current metal:

Old fashioned metal

@Iving was brave enough to mention the arguably off topic Nirvana, which gives me an excellent excuse to post about a personal favorite of mine, which is the album Nirvana  MTV unplugged in New York.  Not exactly metal, in fact it pretty much genre defying, but it is a great sounding album, surprising good in fact.

Here are a couple of snippets:

(For those that might be interested, the entire album is available on YouTube)

11 hours ago, cjf said:

I'll stop here for now. So many to choose from.

The stuff you hear from some folks about Metal not having good SQ is a bunch of hot air.

R-1052494-1314022442.jpeg.jpg

R-1519169-1231460129.jpeg.jpg

R-10497629-1500207726-3920.jpeg.jpg

R-388199-1619880043-6973.jpeg.jpg

I was intrigued that you included The Cult here, and nothing wrong with that, as it happens I was listening to "Love" maybe two weeks back.  I guess they might generally be considered "Gothic Rock" rather than Heavy Metal, although the OP did state that the genre can be a little undefined.  When I think of The Cult, my mind usually drifts to the Sisters of Mercy, although I note that the Sisters of Mercy typically use a drum machine, whereas The Cult use the real thing.  Some maybe The Cult are one side of the genre dividing line and the Sisters of Mercy drift the other?  (or maybe It's all Rock and Roll, as Lemmy would say)

• 2 years later...

Something new ....