IGNORED

Great Sounding Heavy Metal?

Actually my standard listening test set includes this one (I often use the track no 10):

Hal Leonard Metallica The Black Album | Keymusic

If the gear sounds good with this material (and it's supposed to!) and I'm in the \m/ood B| I sometimes play some more extremely sounding stuff, like:

Stain (album) - Wikipedia

or:

Vulgar Display of Power - Wikipedia

I don't test with this one but it's also a charming album :)

Mutter (album) - Wikipedia

5 hours ago, Confused said:

Considering the question in chronological order, I shall start here.....

Some of this is not really heavy metal, but for me the title track Paranoid is one of the finest metal tracks ever to be released to this very day...

Was never into Black Sabbath, but audio friend up the road in a couple of recent visits played a track or two from this album, to check the state of play - effectively completely unknown music, for me. Quite brilliant for pointing out when the rig was in shape - when sub-par, this sounds like sludge; when in the zone, quite remarkable to listen to.

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Was never into Black Sabbath, but audio friend up the road in a couple of recent visits played a track or two from this album, to check the state of play - effectively completely unknown music, for me. Quite brilliant for pointing out when the rig was in shape - when sub-par, this sounds like sludge; when in the zone, quite remarkable to listen to.

Be careful not to play it backwards Frank, otherwise you will be sucked into darkness and never post again .....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have always been fond of Motorhead's Overkill, both the track and the album.   

When asked if Motorhead are a Heavy Metal band, Motorhead's Lemmy would typically reply that they play "Rock and Roll".   For me, I always think of Overkill as being some kind of proto-thrash metal.  (it was released in '79) You can all make your own mind up with respect to that thought.

For those that worry about DR rating on recordings, I have heard the track played live.  (with a later line-up)  Based on the live performance I can advise that the track does not have much dynamic range, it is just kind of loud to louder, constantly.

Later line up, live, DR=0.5 ....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 7 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, sphinxsix said:

I don't test with this one but it's also a charming album :)

Mutter (album) - Wikipedia

Adios is by far my favorite Rammstein song.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

1 hour ago, Jsmith said:

Volbeat: Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies – Western Metal from Copenhagen 

I love Volbeat, except that last album release.  I always had a hard time describing their music genre to someone.  Western Metal from Copenhagen, Love it.  Although I might have say Country Western Metal or else my friends might think it's West Coast metal like the old East Coast/West Coast Rap wars of the 90s.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

34 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

I love Volbeat, except that last album release.  I always had a hard time describing their music genre to someone.  Western Metal from Copenhagen, Love it.  Although I might have say Country Western Metal or else my friends might think it's West Coast metal like the old East Coast/West Coast Rap wars of the 90s.

Agree their last was not their best. Their album covers are pretty sweet as well. 

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just checked out Volbeat  - impressed!! Real songs ... who wouda thunkit - I thought the the point of much of current metal is just to be noise ... correct? 😄

Current metal:

Old fashioned metal

Noticing that Albums are suggested rather than Tracks, here are a couple of suggestions that could be considered borderline for the genre even if to my ears they qualify as Heavy Metal. What about “Raw Power” (Iggy Pop, 1973) and “Incesticide” (Nirvana, recordings 1988-1991). If I had to go strict – I’d choose Rammstein's ”Rosenrot” and “Völkerball”. The DVDs “sound” even better!

Raw Power – Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell

Raw Power – Shake Appeal

Raw Power – Death Trip

Incesticide – Stain

Incesticide – Beeswax

Incesticide – Aero Zeppelin

12 hours ago, Confused said:

Current metal:

Old fashioned metal

Both are wacky, for different reasons - the second is just silly, like a Monty Python sketch; but the irony of the first having a 'message', about a way of life, using sound like a weapon, which is as far as one can possibly go from the ideals of that way of life, leaves me shaking my head ... 🙂

@Iving was brave enough to mention the arguably off topic Nirvana, which gives me an excellent excuse to post about a personal favorite of mine, which is the album Nirvana  MTV unplugged in New York.  Not exactly metal, in fact it pretty much genre defying, but it is a great sounding album, surprising good in fact.

Here are a couple of snippets:

(For those that might be interested, the entire album is available on YouTube)