IGNORED

HD800 - where to go next?

I am thinking Empyrean would be a terrific option but it will be a budget buster. 

Another option within your budget might be the Audio Technica W3000ANV.  I really, really enjoyed mine and they are more mid-centric and warmer, but still detailed.  In fact the mids on that can are legendary (see the link below), but they are hard to come by as they were limited edition. 

This thread is getting a bit long in the tooth but is an interesting read: 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared.634201/

I am a fellow HD-800 lover.  I also just picked up some HD-800S yesterday.  Actually, as I type this, I am switching back and forth between my HD-800 and HD-800S, trying to figure out which to keep as my headphone listening sessions these days are very long and HD-800S might prove the better option for super long sessions.

One other thought...  I also recently picked up an Eddie Current Zana Deux Super.  I am absolutely floored with the Zana Deux/HD-800/HD-800S combo.  I wish I had discovered this amp sooner.  I've never heard anything better for my personal tastes.  It really compliments and elevates the HD-800.  It is also very much tunable using different tubes, you can go for a warmer signature, or more detailed signature or anything in between.  This is probably among a handful of the very best amps on the planet for the HD-800, so something to consider.  On the used market, they typically run around your budget of $2,000 and often the seller will include an assortment of tubes for tube rolling.  Donald North amps are also supposedly really good with HD-800.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

22 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Thanks all for your very helpful feedback. Some clear tendencies seem to be emerging. I'll try to test most of them out this weekend.

Looking forward to your reports. 

Not to hijack your thread, but the timing of your post coincided with my own headphone mini shootout, between HD800, HD800S and the Empyrean so I am somewhat in your same boat.  I've owned the HD-800 forever, my HD-800S arrived last week and Empyrean will be here next week.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

43 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Nice combo. The Empyrean is really looking quite attractive. 

Just curious what triggered the HD800 to S upgrade. Is is t worth it?

Good question.  Long story short- due to COVID my firm's offices are closed so I had to set up a home office.  My wife is also working in the same home office room, so I am now listening to headphones all day.  I love my HD-800, particularly with my Eddie Current ZDS, the combo is spectacular.   The only issue is, listening all day, toward the end of the day I am developing some ear fatigue, notwithstanding that I am listening at low/safe levels.  This was not previously a problem with shorter sessions.  My HD-800 are unmodded, but must be a unicorn because they never gave me ear fatigue before and my sensitivity to treble brightness/glare is extreme (and annoying).  It is only when I started the extended listening sessions that I developed some fatigue.

So, I decided to give HD-800S a try.  Additionally, I have always been intrigued by the Empyrean (I have some Meze 99 I enjoy for travel) and from reports, the sound stage is larger and the sound is supposed to be detailed yet non-fatiguing and otherwise forgiving of less than stellar recordings, so I wanted to have all these headphones in at the same time to directly compare them, rather than try to rely on memory. 

I will definitely sell either the HD-800 or HD-800S, depending on which one is the winner.  We shall see on the Empyrean.  If I love it, I will need to decide if I want to have two desktop headphones and rotate them.  I can't imagine not having an HD-800/S though.

@Musicophile  Thanks for the report, I was looking forward to your thoughts.    It is great you were able to find the Utopia is really the headphone for you.  

I wish I had a local dealer so I could try the Utopia.  Everything I've read about the Utopia makes me want to try it, with the exception of the pretty consistent reports of the Utopia having a more intimate presentation with a relatively smaller soundstage.  I really enjoy a large and open soundstage.

Did you find yourself wishing the soundstage was larger or more spacious on the Utopia, but the other Utopia qualities were so good you decided it didn't matter, or did you enjoy the (presumably) smaller soundstage in that it is something different from what you are used to?

• 1 month later...

I am still in the middle of my headphone trials.  The Empyrean, HD800 and HD800S all have their own charm.  I just love the "out of the head" presentation of the HD800/S, although the Empyrean head stage is no slouch.  I am surprised how different the HD800 and HD800S sound from each other.

The HD800S is comparatively warmer sounding than the HD800 and is certainly more forgiving of poor recordings.  The HD800 have more sparkle and sounds/instruments are more clearly dissected than with the HD800S and the HD800 bass hits a bit harder than HD800S.  The Empyrean is just a great all-rounder that is hard to fault and is also more forgiving of bad recordings than the HD800.

Right now it is a tie between Empyrean and HD800S.  If the vast majority of my music was well-recorded, my un-modded HD800 would possibly replace the HD800S on the list.

Comfort wise, the HD800/S is still the king, but the Empyreans are close.

I wanted to end up with just one headphone, but I am tempted to keep the Empyrean and one of either the HD800S or HD800.  One thing is certain- I remain very impressed with the good old HD800 and it can still compete after all these years.  I have also decided that I cannot live with a headphone with a smaller/more intimate head stage so that crosses off the Utopia as an option (the driver failure rate is also disconcerting).  If Focal ever comes out with a Utopia-level option with a more open head stage, I would give it a try.  ZMF Verite Open is also somewhat intriguing, but I am at a point with these 3 headphones that I don't have much interest in any other headphones.

Comp1.jpg

Ok @Musicophile and @Summit I did a bit of research and I am taking your advice.  I just purchased a used pair of Hifiman 1000SE.  

I got them at a good price so if I don't end up preferring them, I can sell them for at or close to what I paid.  

• 1 year later...

Nice combo.  Curious if you tried your Naim driving the HD800's and compared to the Senn amp driving the HD800?