IGNORED

HD800 - where to go next?

On 9/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, Musicophile said:

I haven't bought any hifi equipment in ages. 

Therefore, I'm toying with the idea of buying another really good headphone, to complement my HD800/HDVA600 combo (I already have a Beyer T90 with a Dragonfly Red as a travel set, remember those days when we used to travel?).

So I'd be looking for something that is at least a match to my HD800. I mostly listen to classical and jazz, so quite probably I already have the perfect set of cans for me (unless I win the lottery and buy an Orpheus 2). I really love them.

That said, I'm intrigued by getting a somewhat different sound signature, particularly for when I'm listening to anything that is not very well recorded, or venture into other genres, where really the HD800s can start to get annoying quickly.

I was initially thinking that I should stay below $2K, but on the other hand there's a lot of stuff happening between $2000 and $5000. Hifiman 1000SE, Meze Empyrian, Grado GS3000, Focal Utopia/Stellia, etc. etc. etc. 

Anything you'd recommend I should check out in particular?

Because I wanted to upgrade from my HD 700, I have just spent a few hours listening to several headphones in the same price range as the HD800s. I listen mostly to classical, and to a lesser extent jazz, electronic and metal.

Having listened to first the HD580 and afterwards the HD700 for a combined total of 25+ years, I was surprised to find that the HD800s impressed me less than I expected.

Long story short:

1. Hifiman Arya. Soundstage almost as wide as HD800s, but much more '3D'/holographic imaging. Completely effortless bass extension down beyond hearing range, providing subbass that I didn't know I needed until I heard it. Extremely detailed without being fatiguing. For classical, jazz, basically everything well-recorded with lots of spatial information, this was my favorite. And very comfortable as well.

2. Shared between ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear. Both a bit more V-shaped, a bit more slam, less holographic.

3. HD800s. Basically my HD700, bit wider, bit more detailed, somehow also a bit more boring.

4. Audeze LCD-X. Nope. Not for anything acoustic.

So.... the Aryas made a dent in my savings.

But I see you are already eyeing the 2000+ category...