IGNORED

Diana Krall- This Dream of You

Well, I guess you will have to strip me of my audiophile card for sure after this piece. I downloaded this new album today and just finished my first listen. This is the best album DK has released in a long time. The album features her best backing band IMHO, namely Jeff Hamilton, John Clayton and Anthony Wilson. The arrangements are all over the map, with the quartet, the quartet backed by strings, solo piano and vocals, piano and guitar and piano and bass. There is traditional jazz, a tinge of country and an homage to the Nat Cole album After Midnight with Stuff Smith on violin on the track Just You,Just me. My favorite track is probably the single with a very interesting take on How Deep is the Ocean. The real star here is the sound which is really good, imagine if Chesky recorded a Diana Krall album. Beautiful tone and balance, great depth, and pin point placement. Even the drums are done right and are not panned across the soundfield. Well done all around.

15 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Well, I guess you will have to strip me of my audiophile card for sure after this piece. I downloaded this new album today and just finished my first listen. This is the best album DK has released in a long time. The album features her best backing band IMHO, namely Jeff Hamilton, John Clayton and Anthony Wilson. The arrangements are all over the map, with the quartet, the quartet backed by strings, solo piano and vocals, piano and guitar and piano and bass. There is traditional jazz, a tinge of country and an homage to the Nat Cole album After Midnight with Stuff Smith on violin on the track Just You,Just me. My favorite track is probably the single with a very interesting take on How Deep is the Ocean. The real star here is the sound which is really good, imagine if Chesky recorded a Diana Krall album. Beautiful tone and balance, great depth, and pin point placement. Even the drums are done right and are not panned across the soundfield. Well done all around.

Out of curiosity, was there a booklet with the download, and does it tell you who is playing on each track?

I like the new album, as @joewhip mentioned, it's balanced, the recording is very good indeed, easy to listen from start to finish. Will look forward to the SACD.... Girl in the Other Room is my favourite album, Glad Rag doll - getting used to, don't hate it so much as when it was first released. Diana Krall is pleasant on the ear vocally, not strong like Jaimee Paul, can play at 10pm and it sounds right.

Artist's notes

“This Dream Of You” is a new album that I have produced from sessions that took place in 2016 and 2017, leading up to Turn Up the Quiet, but it is very far from a record of outtakes or unfinished music.
When Tommy Lipuma died shortly before TUTQ was released, I lost not only a great friend but my creative partner. Earlier this year, I realize that I still had work to do in preparing the large repertoire covered in those 2016-2017 sessions for this new album. I’m glad to say that record leads off with “But Beautiful”, a performance that Tommy loved with all his heart and the last song we were able to complete together.
Some of these performances have unavoidable poignance. In days when one cannot easily travel to New York, in “Autumn” or any other season, I have to believe that there is still a place for hope even in a city of struggle and change."

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA