IGNORED

High End Munich 2021 - 9th - 12th September 2021

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

That is quite old news, I'm afraid. I mean, since all vaccinations stopped in quite some European countries (including Holland) already ...

Be careful about spreading this type of news. You are misinformed. Vaccination is in full swing in Europe. Only Astrazeneca has been temporarily stopped in a few countries. Here in Holland, everyone is expected to be vaccinated by the end of (our) summer and the EU is working on a 'Corona' passport for gradually making travel possible again.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone Audio JS-2 | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN | Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Sonore OpticalModule | Emo Systems EN-70HD | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors for AC, Ghent for DC and ethernet Roon server Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/ext. SDD via firewire, Catalina | Roon | Tidal | Qobuz 

3 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Be careful about spreading this type of news

You are correct it is only the Astra Zeneca but in general (I have plenty of family in Spain) and I cannot talk for the rest of Europe but there is this "feeling" something in the vaccines may affect them and many of the people I know are in the position to not vaccinate. And the distribution and logistics I think it doesn't work like here (in the US) either.

I am personally pro vaccine but I respect what other people think and since the adoption seems to be slower in Spain  I would agree a domestic show might be safer (and easier) to attend.

24 minutes ago, luisma said:

You are correct it is only the Astra Zeneca but in general (I have plenty of family in Spain) and I cannot talk for the rest of Europe but there is this "feeling" something in the vaccines may affect them and many of the people I know are in the position to not vaccinate. And the distribution and logistics I think it doesn't work like here (in the US) either.

I am personally pro vaccine but I respect what other people think and since the adoption seems to be slower in Spain  I would agree a domestic show might be safer (and easier) to attend.

I also respect everyone's choices. However, the sentiment you are talking about seems to evaporate considerably over time and only persist when someone has deep-seated objections against vaccinations in general. Anyway, we are now in March and talking about an event that is still more than a half year away. A bit early to already start drawing conclusions in my view. This was also my original point but I understand very well that it is difficult for many to think positively after such a difficult year and with still many uncertainties.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone Audio JS-2 | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN | Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Sonore OpticalModule | Emo Systems EN-70HD | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors for AC, Ghent for DC and ethernet Roon server Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/ext. SDD via firewire, Catalina | Roon | Tidal | Qobuz 

28 minutes ago, luisma said:

and I cannot talk for the rest of Europe but there is this "feeling" something in the vaccines may affect them

So the fake news is:

I was planned for the jab tomorrow (Wednesday). I am not allowed to get it any more. Yes, I asked. It's just been stalled.

All has been stalled as we have no other vaccine (purchased).

So this is nothing about feeling. This is about government decisions.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 minute ago, skatbelt said:

However, the sentiment you are talking about seems to evaporate considerably over time

Are you for real ?

XXHighEnd (developer)

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Are you for real ?

I can only give you objective figures for The Netherlands. In the past 6 months the willingness to be vaccinated here rose from less than 60% to over 85%. An additional figure: 95% of the people who have received an invitation did show up. So yes!

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Are you for real ?

I hope he is Peter, I really want to leave all this behind and "maybe" go back to some "normal" even with limitations.....

Is it that bad in the Netherlands?

1 hour ago, luisma said:

Not that I know of. But I know of people who live on their own (alone in the house) who by now run crazy because of another dunk-down. These people grasp all courage available. Maybe skatbelt is among those - I can't tell. I hope not.

Anyway, vaccination stopped and or it continues in a couple of weeks, or people have no sight at a new vaccine we did not even purchase. Our government already managed to be the slowest with that of the whole of Europe (personally I am not saying they do wrong but it is still a fact to be the slowest / latest).

Only one week ago indeed the word was that we would be able to have a summer vacation of normal substance, because of sufficient vaccine availability and required capacity. And at this moment there is virtually nothing again.

But that hopefully changes back to normal again within two weeks.

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, luisma said:

I tried to communicate the opposite. I guess it's my English that is bad.. 🙂

oops, already posted...guys the situation in NL is not much different from anywhere else and vaccination continues. the AZ arm (pun intended) is halted, so roughly 200.000 people are being pushed into another spot in the queue.

BUT, high end Munich is a go....if it gets to start, I plan on visiting as something happened to the plan we had for last year!

@austinpop I can assure you that getting ill there is no riskier then anywhere else, including the US. Germany is amongst the countries with the highest healthcare standards.

For me it's a mere Autobahn drive away :-)

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 7, Aorus X570 Elite, Corsair AX1200i, 8Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

I should be poked by then and I live in the area of one of the shows so, I can sleep at home. I will wear a mask, that is for sure.

Current:  JRiver 26 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an AMD A10-5700 with 8 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Amplification - Audio Research SP-16 > Pioneer M-22 - Bow Technologies Wazoo Integrated (great amp - silly name)

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - Revel M126Be - others......

Cables: Tara Labs RCS Reference speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

• 1 month later...

THE HIGH END IS POSTPONED FROM SEPTEMBER 2021 TO MAY 2022 

The parallel event, the IPS – International Parts + Supply, is also postponed

The HIGH END 2021 trade show, planned to take place in Munich from September 9 to 12, 2021, has now been moved to May 2022 due to the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. The HIGH END SOCIETY Service GmbH reached this decision after a reassessment of the current situation and in close cooperation with the Board of the HIGH END SOCIETY e.V.

The world’s leading audio trade show will therefore return to its usual spring timeslot and be held at the MOC Event Center in Munich from May 19 to 22, 2022. The IPS – International Parts + Supply event, which was due to be held alongside the HIGH END, has also be postponed until the new year and will open its doors for the first time on May 19 and 20, 2022.

Although the halls and atriums of the MOC are fully booked and a detailed hygiene and infection protection concept has been carefully developed, the organiser believes that taking this action at an early stage is necessary given the current situation. “We have prepared for the event extremely well and were confident that the HIGH END and the new IPS would be able to take place this autumn despite the changing conditions,” states Stefan Dreischärf, Managing Director of the event organiser, the company HIGH END SOCIETY Service GmbH. He regrets that all hi-fi fans will now have to wait even longer for the annual industry highlight due to the postponement. “That said, we have to adopt a far-sighted approach to maintain the trust of our exhibitors. Given the slow development on a global scale, we believe that the current situation is too uncertain. The risk of having to cancel the event at short notice is simply too high,” explains the experienced trade show manager.

Given that the pandemic is not being curbed as rapidly as hoped, nobody can foresee whether an international trade show would actually be able to take place with satisfying results for everyone involved in September. When planning and hosting their trade shows, Stefan Dreischärf and his team put everything into providing their exhibitors with optimal conditions for successful business. What’s more, the organiser is aware of its continued responsibility to protect the health of all parties involved and guarantee planning reliability. With the prospect that the current measures will have been significantly eased by next year, and global travel is therefore likely to be possible with no limitations, there is nothing to stop the HIGH END and IPS from providing a successful and enjoyable trade show experience in May 2022.

Information on the HIGH END

The HIGH END, the internationally renowned audio trade show, is the undisputed leader when it comes to impressively setting the tone for top-class music reproduction. It has been providing ideas and impetus for producers, sellers and consumers of high-quality consumer electronics for four decades. On the four days of the event in May, the entire world of audio experts and professionals will gather in Munich to visit hundreds of exhibitors from more than 40 different countries as they showcase their latest innovations in the halls and atriums of the MOC Event Center. 

Information on the IPS

The IPS perfectly complements the HIGH END, which has developed into the largest international hi-fi show and enjoys tremendous significance and international popularity within the audio industry. Taking place in a separate area of the MOC Event Center in parallel with the HIGH
END 2021, the event offers manufacturers of supply parts for the audio industry the ideal platform for establishing direct contact with their customers and showcasing their products in a presentation tailored to their target groups.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

I believe people should get vaccinated, however, I also believe in freedom of choice regarding the same. 

To give some clarity to the concept of "Herd Immunity" I will again post the "OBJECTIVE" method for calculating it. 

Rt = Ro x ((1-i) x (1-p)) where Ro (the so called R Naught) is the inherent infectivity of the virus, i=% of the population immune, p=mitigation effectivity.

Now Ro initially was estimated to be 2.4 by the UK and EU data, newer data shows it to be closer to 5.5 when including newer strains with real Ro somewhere in between.  Ro are the number of people who will contract disease when exposed to infected individual .  Ro for measles is between 12-18, the common flu is between 2-3 on average.

As to p, good luck figuring that one out. While we have been told "social distancing" and wearing any kind of masks are effective, it is much more complex than what has been claimed. While we have all read the studies posted about effectivity of masks "of any kind" using a so called sieve effect to limit spread of virus particles in the lab, the sad truth is that most lay people wearing masks will also more likely #1 use masks that really have a low efficacy and #2 more importantly, are more likely to touch the mask/face/nose/eyes to make adjustments, scratch, etc. when wearing them as compared to healthcare workers who are properly trained wearing properly fitted KN95 & more likely N95 masks where the p factor is much more effective than in the general population and why COVID became quickly diminished among healthcare workers early on.  Remember, no group was more exposed than healthcare workers and no group came under control quicker than healthcare workers so "p" is real. 

Some out there will advocate that you can't open up until Rt is less than 1. Do the math. I am not one of them, but that is my opinion based on the facts, risks and ability for each individual to mitigate their own risks appropriately. 

I present the facts so that people can have a more objective approach to how they may decide to move forward. Clearly the elderly are at more risk, those with pre-existing conditions (particularly obesity) yet there are those wildcards of so called younger people with no risk factors developing full blown nasty pneumonias and worse, but the good news is, more therapeutics are available. 

Few are discussing Israel, because the lockdown proponents don't want you to know. On March 15th, 50% of Israeli's were fully vaccinated and 60% has at least their first dose while the most vulnerable over 70, 90% were fully vaccinated and 96% had received at least one dose. How did that effect spread? On 1/27/2021 Israel had it's largest recorded infections at 12,000 and by 3/15/2021 that rate was down 10x to 2000. Yesterday, Israel recorded just 80 infections. The point being, even just 50% of the population immune, will have dramatic effect in the spread if you do the math. 

This is just an FYI for each to make their own decisions. 

I don't like any kinda mongering, therefore not sure if that were meant to be a hurdle to overcome?

Researchers are investigating if a COVID-19 with multiple mutations found in India is more deadly and resistant to existing vaccines

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-triple-mutant-in-india-could-be-much-more-deadly-2021-4

The Times of India spoke to Vinod Scaria, a researcher at the CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology in India, who said the triple-mutant was also an "immune escape variant" — a strain that helps the virus attach to human cells and hide from the immune system.

India sees another spike of 3.52 lakh COVID-19 cases, 2,800 deaths as states, UTs face oxygen shortage

https://english.jagran.com/india/india-sees-another-spike-of-3-52-lakh-covid-19-cases-2800-deaths-as-states-uts-face-oxygen-shortage-10026092

In yet another world record, India on Monday reported 3,52,991 fresh COVID-19 cases and 2,812 fatalities that pushed the country's total caseload and death toll to 1.73 crore and 1.95 lakh respectively, said the Union Health Ministry in its daily updates.

India's Covid-19 deaths will rise sharply till mid-May: US study

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/indias-virus-deaths-will-rise-sharply-till-mid-may-us-study

IHME director Christopher Murray said in a briefing on the study last Friday (April 23) that sero-prevalance surveys suggest that India may be detecting less than 5 per cent of its total infected population.

"This means that the number of cases that are being detected needs to be multiplied by 20 or more to get the number of infections that are occurring in India," he said. "The number of infections right now is extraordinarily large."

Rich Indians Flee by Private Jet as Virus Infections Spiral

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-26/wealthy-indians-flee-by-private-jet-as-virus-infections-spiral

https://web.archive.org/web/20210426142052/https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-26/wealthy-indians-flee-by-private-jet-as-virus-infections-spiral

“There was a huge surge to London and Dubai just before the restrictions took place, and the Maldives too before they announced the ban,” said Mehra, who was previously the head of Indian operations at Qatar Airways.

Maybe it's already too late for containment?

7 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

the sad truth is that most lay people wearing masks will also more likely #1 use masks that really have a low efficacy and #2 more importantly, are more likely to touch the mask/face/nose/eyes to make adjustments, scratch, etc

What's your source of this data and what's the increased risk?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

These theoretical discussions are fine, but I'll be 55 in August, and I cannot yet get a vaccine in France... Don't know when it will be available for people below 55. Until then, do what you want, I'm staying at home ! There are enough casualties already. A friend at work lost both his parents to Covid, people around me are still getting sick, etc...

my blog

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What's your source of this data and what's the increased risk?

The "sieve effect" has been well studied regarding effectivity of different masks in the lab by more studies than you can imagine. I have read at least 10 studies regarding this; probably more and are easily found by a search. Even those masks with larger sieve than the size of the viral particle will have some effect in diminishing dispersion of the virus; it is the same principle as the Rt.  Remember, this is within a lab, not in the real world. N95, properly fitted will be most effective; most people couldn't stand more than 20 minutes with a properly fitted N95, LOL.  My wife and I flew out to Montana with 2 changes last summer with properly fitted N95 and it was literally a nightmare. One of the reasons "shields" are so effective is it actually prevents the individual from touching those parts of their face that easily spread the virus.

Again, these were laboratory studies and NOT real world studies.

Proper mitigation strategies as in the healthcare environment, such as hospitals, reveal just how good mitigation can be, even when social distancing is impossible, with the most apt to spread, i.e. those infected.