3 hours ago, hopkins said:

"it sounds good" is not my idea of a good review. 

By the way, this product is a DAC not a music server... 

this product is both a “streamer” and a DAC, all in one

The Emerson analogue can also be called a network renderer (since it has a DAC built in) and the digital can be called a network bridge (since it needs a separate DAC)

4 hours ago, Topk said:

this product is both a “streamer” and a DAC, all in one

The Emerson analogue can also be called a network renderer (since it has a DAC built in) and the digital can be called a network bridge (since it needs a separate DAC)

A network renderer does not necessarily have a DAC. The term "renderer" is commonly used to refer to client for a music server. So the Emerson analogue is a "renderer", but not "since it has a DAC built in"... The Emerson digital is also a "renderer".

In either case, these two products are not "music servers" - there is a forum for DACs (including those with a network input, as the Emerson) and one for network streaming.

Too many categories does make it difficult to choose sometimes.

No big deal! 

19 minutes ago, hopkins said:

A network renderer does not necessarily have a DAC. The term "renderer" is commonly used to refer to client for a music server. So the Emerson analogue is a "renderer", but not "since it has a DAC built in"... The Emerson digital is also a "renderer".

In either case, these two products are not "music servers" - there is a forum for DACs (including those with a network input, as the Emerson) and one for network streaming.

Too many categories does make it difficult to choose sometimes.

No big deal! 

+1

It is a pity that many threads on AS (and other forums) are in the wrong category.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, matthias said:

+1

It is a pity that many threads on AS (and other forums) are in the wrong category.

Matt

Got it, I’m just using the terminology that Haans defines and uses in his video. 

also the whole thread is not in the right area then... the admin should reclass it

And now the digital version

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, did anyone connect Ered dock to a set of fiber media converter (2 Startech FMCs)?

I have actually these 2 equipments but tried in vain to connect them with an ethernet LAN cable. No lights on Ered and the output FMC. Though in fact, these two are working well seperately. I.e I have connected sucessfully Ered to a switch, and the same result with FMC to switch. 

I was advised that in order to solve this issues, it is necessary to config the Startech FMC so that the Ered can recognize the data from FMC (?)

Thank you for your thoughts and sharings!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just updating an old topic.
I have been using the eRED dock for almost a year now. It sounds better to me than an Allo Digione (non signature). Note, that is even with the Allo as Roon endpoint or Squeezelite, and the eRED on Roon via airplay.
I've bought a 5V SBooster power supply for it, but strange enough I prefer a switchmode power supply with it. So long for expectation bias. I have build the eRED dock into the housing of a SOtM sms-100, connected it to the internal power board, and attached a medical grade 12V supply to that. Sounds best this way to me, better that the 5V SBooster directly connected to the eRED.
I can recommend using the RooExtend / rooUPnP software. After some troubleshooting with my home network, at first RooExtend did not find the eRED, it is now working almost flawlessly. The RooExtend finds the eRED within a minute, and I can stream from Roon to the eRED as if it was a Squeezelite endpoint.
Strange thing is, in rooUPnP settings only mp3 audio format gives sound. Options Flac/Transparent/PCM don't work. Still mp3 sounds very good, and with a spectral analyser I have measured content above 18kHz, so I don't think the music is converted to mp3 at all.

When I play an internet radio stream, the spectral analyzer (on my phone) shows a cut off at 16 or 18 kHz. When I play local lossless music, the content goes all the way up to almost 22kHz.
I've send a mail to Engineered (company that makes the eRED) if they will support more than only airplay and upnp. I know that Roon ready is out of reach, but there is so much more that can be desired. For instance Spotify connect, Tidal connect. And Squeezelite would provide pretty good sound quality and is also Roon compatible.
The answer I got back was that Spotify and Tidal connect are on their wish list, but they don't have a planning yet when and if it will be released. Squeezelite was not on their list.