45 minutes ago, granosalis said:

You forget the Roon compatibility which is announced for Emerson and it's not seems available for eRed-Doc.

Yes, maybe even that's not enough to justify the price difference, but I'm still unhappy that the board that could have grown through future updates looks like something that's overshadowed by the new Wattson Audio.

In case you're wondering if the firmware for Emerson can be installed in the eRed-Doc, the answer it is not, I just tried.

I am sure their OEM customers will get Roon compatibility as well.

IMO, a typical case of HE money making.

But working with Audirvana via UPnP is fine too and does sound maybe even better than Roon.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

6 hours ago, granosalis said:

You forget the Roon compatibility which is announced for Emerson and it's not seems available for eRed-Doc.

Well once they deliver Roon Bridge capability to Emerson it should be expected they will offer that to eRED-DOCK OEM clients. Or they will have some rather unhappy clients. It is just a software/firmware change after all...

• 3 weeks later...

New Firmware updated is out. V1.36, latest was 1.31

Change log:

* v1.36
- Add a new custom UPnP service that provides several information about the renderer (sample rate, output format, version installed, ...)

- Add support for the OGG Vorbis format

* v1.34
- Add Roon Support (but needs to be certified by Roon on case by case to be active)

* v1.33
- Special characters for friendly names are now supported

* v1.32
- Volume control uses now a zero-crossing technology with dithering
- Volume and mute status are stored when the eR-MOD is switched off
- Output is now faded out/in when paused or muted
- UPnP DB volume is now fully working
- Add selection of DxD dual/single mode output using SPI
- Output does not stop anymore when nothing is played, it still outputs silence at currently used frequency/format (this avoid switching noise when music stops)
- Mute output pin is now much more accurate and is always in sync with real output
- Fix issue preventing to play TIDAL streams with mConnect
- When the ethernet connection is lost, then back, the eR-MOD now always reconnects to the network

If we bring all the changes together, we can say this is a major release.
The infamous 'tick' during track change, (especially when resolution change) is completely fixed.
Even some issues with the gapless album is gone. 
I do not have Roon, so I can't comment about Roon Support, or supposed Roon Support.
If I'm not wrong, without the certication, roon can't be used at all. It is also not clear how we can ask roon for a certification, and what exactly "case by case" means. 

There are also some aspects that I don't like:
From the main page, the current firmware version disappeared as well as the current friendly name. For sure the capability to update the firmware and to change the friendly name are still there, but nothing is displayed of the current settings.
I would have liked the system to display more information on the main page, like sample rate, output format, version installed, friendly name,  etc.)especially now that a new service claim to provide such information's on request. 
I can't customize any  parameters, like fade in/out during track change or when pause is pressed. 

The board is far away more oriented to OEM, versus final users like I am, and even very basic functionalities are not there (buffer size adjustments, and other settings). 

Unfortunately this board sounds better than any other renderer I've ever tried. Love and hate. 

Regards,

Giuseppe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have ered-mod mounted in Audiomat Maestro 3 DAC.

I'm also a Roon user and i cant stream to the DAC (yet ?) with 1.36, the card doesnt appear in audio devices in roon settings, not even with the uncertified mention.

With assetupnp/bubbleupnp all is ok.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, Kimon said:

Hi, i have ered-mod mounted in Audiomat Maestro 3 DAC.

I'm also a Roon user and i cant stream to the DAC (yet ?) with 1.36, the card doesnt appear in audio devices in roon settings, not even with the uncertified mention.

With assetupnp/bubbleupnp all is ok.

I can use the eRed dock as airplay device in Roon. I've managed to setup LMS with the Upnp bridge plugin, and it show up in Roon as squeezelite end point, but until now I cannot get any sound out of that. But airplay and normal upnp are working fine.

Hi, i made it work with squeeze2upnp, i do not remember well (tried with 1.31, last year) but i think it wasnt working with dsd files, nor gapless albums.

i share here a pic of my xml file, if someone want to try now with 1.36...

ps: airplay is limited to 16/44 🙁

squeeze2upnp1.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, robi20064 said:

v1.38 was released sometimes in early December last year. Could anyone confirm whether there is proper Roon certification by now (or there is still the pink warning)?

It has to be certified by Roon to work, this means a manufacturer has to make a product using it, and then go through the process with Roon, and then only that product will be Roon certified and work with Roon.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

44 minutes ago, granosalis said:

Thr 1.37 is the lates firmware and unfortunatelly Roon is not supported. This is really annoying.

What could we do to make ourselves heard, to trust a petition?

Roon is supported on the latest firmware, but it can not be activated unless the device (manufactured product) has been certified by the manufacturer as a Roon endpoint.  This process is up to the manufacturer to do, that would be the manufacturer of the component which uses the eRed Dock internally.  Unfortunately, for DIY, there really is no path to Roon certification of which I am aware.  Roon certification, and the rules which govern it are put in place by Roon, and so any concerns about how Roon certification works should be addressed to Roon-I doubt that Roon would certify a board for DIY use which is not a finished product, as that is not how Roon certification works.

For a better understanding of how Roon certification works, I would suggest watching Chris' excellent podcast with the Roon team on this site:

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Emerson digital which is an improvement on the Engineered card but in a case. I wanted to give a first hand report. I bought it from Rhapsody and want to thank Guy for helping me with the purchase of this. I have no affiliation with Rhapsody or Engineered or Emerson. I’m just a customer.

I will talk only about the digital version (not the one with the DAC).

First, if you go to the French hifi forums, the Emerson digital has been compared favorably by prominent forumers to Innuos Zen Mk3, Naim NDX2, APL digital transport and Metrum Ambre.

All people who compared either sold their Naim and Metrum, or recommended the Emerson digital vs. the Innuos which is much more expensive. This is very surprising.

Because the Emerson is connected to Ethernet and get music from Qobuz/Tidal, NAS or PC as a server from Ethernet, there’s complete isolation from the source to the Emerson. Especially if you use a Ethernet isolator (Etherrregen) or Fiber optic ethernet.

First advantage, you can use it standalone, similar to a Metrum, Digione, SoTM or Sonore.

If you use with a PC, there’s a huge advantage compared to USB. USB needs to be isolated from the PC, needs clean power..etc. You really need a JCAT Femto or XE with LPS then Isoregen or Intona and also DDC like Audio GD Di20 or Gustard/Matrix/Singxer etc. if you want to reach a high quality sound.

The Emerson digital gets rid of all this and creates its own rendering engine isolated from the noise of the PC and away from USB.

That’s why it sounds superb:

- very low noise floor

- very well voiced, great timing and beautiful tone

- some meat on the bones, not thin

- ultra low -150db dual clock 

- so it is able to beat much more expensive equipment

I also found out that the Emerson is an OEM to the best hifi brands in the world like CH precision, Dartzeel, Audiomat.

I just wanted to share my experience since I feel this device is not well understood and not really advertised as it should.

It’s a very interesting concept and a great way to get high quality results very fast. 

I have Aqua La Voce DAC, McIntosh amp and Harbeth speakers.

Feel free to ask me questions! 

40 minutes ago, Topk said:

I bought the Emerson digital which is an improvement on the Engineered card but in a case. I wanted to give a first hand report. I bought it from Rhapsody and want to thank Guy for helping me with the purchase of this. I have no affiliation with Rhapsody or Engineered or Emerson. I’m just a customer.

I will talk only about the digital version (not the one with the DAC).

First, if you go to the French hifi forums, the Emerson digital has been compared favorably by prominent forumers to Innuos Zen Mk3, Naim NDX2, APL digital transport and Metrum Ambre.

All people who compared either sold their Naim and Metrum, or recommended the Emerson digital vs. the Innuos which is much more expensive. This is very surprising.

Because the Emerson is connected to Ethernet and get music from Qobuz/Tidal, NAS or PC as a server from Ethernet, there’s complete isolation from the source to the Emerson. Especially if you use a Ethernet isolator (Etherrregen) or Fiber optic ethernet.

First advantage, you can use it standalone, similar to a Metrum, Digione, SoTM or Sonore.

If you use with a PC, there’s a huge advantage compared to USB. USB needs to be isolated from the PC, needs clean power..etc. You really need a JCAT Femto or XE with LPS then Isoregen or Intona and also DDC like Audio GD Di20 or Gustard/Matrix/Singxer etc. if you want to reach a high quality sound.

The Emerson digital gets rid of all this and creates its own rendering engine isolated from the noise of the PC and away from USB.

That’s why it sounds superb:

- very low noise floor

- very well voiced, great timing and beautiful tone

- some meat on the bones, not thin

- ultra low -150db dual clock 

- so it is able to beat much more expensive equipment

I also found out that the Emerson is an OEM to the best hifi brands in the world like CH precision, Dartzeel, Audiomat.

I just wanted to share my experience since I feel this device is not well understood and not really advertised as it should.

It’s a very interesting concept and a great way to get high quality results very fast. 

I have Aqua La Voce DAC, McIntosh amp and Harbeth speakers.

Feel free to ask me questions! 

Do you know what the difference is between the Engineerd card and the Emerson box? Do you use the Tidal/Qobuz app to get the music to the Emerson box?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2