IGNORED

Article: KEF's New LS50 Collection

I bought a pair of these this week along with the Kef stands. They are not able to be recognized properly by Roon yet, as in Roon Certified". They do however show up as available in Roon as "LS50" as AirPlay. So you can still use them with the Roon app. The KEF Connect app in IOS does allow you to steam Qobuz to them, which I subscribe to. KEF has not been too straightforward regarding using the Roon Certified verbiage in their advertising and manual. If you do not read carefully it seems as if they are already there. My understanding is that the KEFs are already capable but it is up to Roon to recognize them inside their app. I assume that will then allow their proprietary RAAT protocol to work.

The good news is that, this all said, they sound great just hooked up via ethernet to my LAN with the attached Roon server. My wife walked in and the first thing she said was that she thought I was listening to my regular system. This is big because I could potentially sell off much more equipment than these speaker cost and they are not even using Roon properly. While I am waiting for Roon to get their act together I will probably try using the SPDIF coax output from my AudioLinux Roon endpoint directly into the KEFs.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 1 month later...

I would like to update progress with my new LS50W Mk2's. I will not go down the Roon Ready rabbit hole except to say that Roon and Kef have really dropped the ball here. KEF should remove their marketing wording until the end is in sight.

I love these speakers. I replaced a DAC, pre and amp, and a pair of crossoverless Alnico towers. I kept my front end and two SVS SB2000 subs. My front end is an Intel NUC running Audiolinux with USB out to a Mutec +3 USB with coax out to the speakers. A Mutec REF10 clocks the Mutec USB and an EtherRegen. Most pieces powered by HDPlex linear supplies. This front end makes up for the lack of Roon Ready.

I am using the KEF Performance stands. Yesterday I filled them with sand. It made a big difference. Tighter, better defined bass and better overall detail. Fill your stands! Sand is cheap.

Do I like these more than my previous system? Yes and no. I like the cost savings and simplicity. These cost about $3K and replaced about $18K of equipment. Sonically they are different. The previous combination had better detail and clarity. The KEF's are still breaking in but do have plenty of detail and a very spacious sound stage. Localization is excellent. They also have better "slam" and better dynamics. They are totally engaging. 

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System