IGNORED

Loudspeaker Design - from the perspective of a loudspeaker design engineer...

Chris A

Great subject.

If you cannot name the engineer nor speaker brand, will you provide a comprehensive set of measurements of a couple of his designs?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

So assuming that tacit approval has been granted by the admin (whose charter for this subforum is repeated above in order to get his attention on the forum...and intervene if not), continuing on with the introduction...

So what divides the wheat from the chaff in this business (loudspeaker design) seems to be that the consumer or casual DIY builder of loudspeakers uses mainly subjective or perhaps a mixture of subjective and objective performance measures (the set of which requirements specifications is often not validated as relevant to actual loudspeaker listening performance).  This is never the case for those loudspeakers that are designed in large enterprises committed to the production of loudspeakers for a living.  Commercially available loudspeakers were built to a set of stated or agreed-to performance requirements, a set of form/fit/function constraints, or some mixture of acoustic performance plus size plus shape plus appearance requirements. and unit production price.

What are the requirements that they use to develop loudspeakers?  It turns out that these are typically held as trade secrets by many/most large companies. The hierarchy of these requirements--i.e., their relative importance in order to trade their exact performance levels in the finished product.  Certainly the detail requirements in terms of individual driver performance, enclosure performance, and crossover performance (either passive or DSP/active) are usually held to be only consumable inside the company, and only by authorized employee functions, such as engineering, marketing, and executive organization (including product planning). 

So how can I relate the requirements and their relative precedence hierarchy/trade-off structure? I can't--not to the minute level of detail required by a particular design (except for my own personal experiences--which is at a lower level of importance here). 

...But I can related the priority requirement types and why they are deemed important--because that's what I was gifted with, and the usability of those results have been noted by others.  So the details of how each particular driver or crossover or enclosure for a particular project may be company private (but can be inferred by the parts used in the finished product), or the processes used in taking bought components and modifying them to company needs are considered to be trade secrets, the "things to look for" and their appropriate importance/threshold level of performance has been shared over those 13 years of apprenticeship mentioned above.  Not that I've uniquely qualified to be the source of this information, but it was the fact I was picked by this noted teaching engineer to be included in a small group of non-company individuals to share these insights with--over an extended length of time--that's most useful to this discussion. 

So I'm not generally speaking for myself, but rather drawing the experience of that expert.  It is these insights which do make the difference, I've found.  So let's carry on and see where this goes...

First up, the most important single design goal in this expert's experience: low distortion numbers.  What kind of distortion?  Well, harmonic distortion (HD) at 1/10 the rated input power of the loudspeaker is an overriding requirement.  But HD is a stand-in for modulation distortion, which the HD turns into when using real music inputs to the loudspeaker:

[Harmonic] distortion is normally measured at 1/10 the input max input power for a single speaker/driver (AES standard). When I compare two speakers, I pick a target SPL that would be about average (I think in [the case of the present loudspeaker] it was 100 db at 1m.) [Harmonic and modulation] distortion are usually nonlinear. So at low volumes it’s not there, but then as you increase the volume, it goes up exponentially. So an increase of .1% to 1% is okay but an increase of 1% to 10% is very audible and annoying.

How do you measure modulation distortion?  Dual tone measurements...

1891073881_Dualtonemeasurementbassbin.thumb.GIF.1d213ab740ae5d3e4e6e7508f9f9710a.GIF

The notional sideband levels seen here are from a production product from that company.  This example is not at the 100 dB rated level in this case, but are provided only as a visual example of what you'd be looking for.  The Klippel nearfield measurement scanner (NFS) automates these measurements so that the stacked set of dual-tone measurements can be compiled into one chart for many dual-tone measurements.

Next up: directivity response

Chris

"Those professional loudspeakers with dedicated electronics have a huge advantage over passive loudspeakers. Consumers in general, especially high-end audiophiles, have not caught up with the advantages that technology has to offer.  Good loudspeakers and amplifiers can deliver good sound, but merging them with dedicated digital crossovers, equalizers and amplifiers designed for those specific loudspeaker components, in their specific enclosure, can yield even better sound."  F. Toole, 2018, Sound Reproduction the Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, 3rd ed., chap. 12.5, pg 356.

The next set of performance parameters is usually alien to most people scanning through loudspeaker performance specifications: directivity indices vs. frequency (otherwise reported as "smoothness of sound power").  The most important criteria include smoothly changing directivities vs. frequency, especially at the crossover frequencies.  The directivities of the lower frequency drivers/waveguides must match the upper frequency driver/waveguide (waveguides are mentioned if they are present) at the crossover frequencies.  If they don't match at the crossovers, Toole has shown that these loudspeakers will suffer lower subjective performance evaluations (see his book Sound Reproduction) and Sean Olive's patent on subjective loudspeaker parameters as they correlated to overall loudspeaker subjective performance.)  Here is a pie chart of those performance parameters as measured by Harman/JBL for reference:

SeanOlivePreferencesofLoudspeakerPerfFactorsPieChart.thumb.gif.affc1ec1de1084a147e45641b88928a7.gif

(Note that on-axis SPL response is the easiest to correct, but directivity/sound power defects cannot be corrected), so the discussions concerning Olive's performance parameters will necessarily be significantly different than that author reports.)  You may notice the notable absence of distortion in Olive's parameters--something that differs from the set of requirements precedence hierarchies noted above and by JBL/Harman.

Chris

"Those professional loudspeakers with dedicated electronics have a huge advantage over passive loudspeakers. Consumers in general, especially high-end audiophiles, have not caught up with the advantages that technology has to offer.  Good loudspeakers and amplifiers can deliver good sound, but merging them with dedicated digital crossovers, equalizers and amplifiers designed for those specific loudspeaker components, in their specific enclosure, can yield even better sound."  F. Toole, 2018, Sound Reproduction the Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, 3rd ed., chap. 12.5, pg 356.

@Chris A, It is a requirement of these forums that if you are associated with a manufacture, that you reveal your association in your signature.  I cannot tell for sure if you are actually associated with a manufacturer or not from your previous posts?  Please do no mis-understand me, I welcome interesting and informed discussion of objective loudspeaker design elements, but being associated with a manufacturer requires transparency of such.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

No formal affiliation with any manufacturer, no compensation, and no money at all involved.  That is, in fact, the wonderful part of this role: it's entirely voluntary and self-directed. 

You can infer from this the motives of the individual involved, but note that he did all of his mentoring in his spare time--sometimes with the blessing of the company he works for and the off-hours use of its test and evaluation facilities, but always in a no-special-arrangement relationship other than the interests of the class of students and the willingness of the mentor to share what he could share with us. 

As I mentioned, there are things that he couldn't share (as in specific performance parameters, suppliers, and trade-sensitive internal manufacturing processes) but the lion's share of the learning was directed at testing (anechoic) and modifying loudspeakers they had on hand and first-hand listening sessions using at least single-blind listening techniques (often double blind when the differences were very small).  There was a lot of homework that ensued over the years, too.  That's something that a lot of casual DIY loudspeaker engineers are usually not willing undertake.  Those sessions were like gold, however.

Chris

There are two more main requirements categories to be discussed: inherently linear/flat transfer function (small signal SPL and phase response), and impulse/decay response like that which is found in ribbons, planar loudspeakers and certain waveguide-loaded drivers.  These are higher importance requirements categories used by certain companies that have chosen to specialize in those areas.  But for the moment, I'll let the above thoughts germinate into deeper insights as to that which occurs in today's hi-fi loudspeaker marketplace.  There are some points to ponder there that you will not find in any textbook or audiophile journal.

The real wisdom of the discussions with the particular mentoring loudspeaker engineer reside in observations of the particular technologies used by his company.  These are the real gems of insight that can be used to great utility in one's own designs, if using those technologies, and on the more generalized insights in the entire loudspeaker marketplace. 

Chris

3 hours ago, semente said:

Great subject.

If you cannot name the engineer nor speaker brand, will you provide a comprehensive set of measurements of a couple of his designs?

Sorry--that would identify the man to identify his designs--because he is too well known.  However, I've tried to share some of the measurements, above.  There will be more discussions on measurements that will follow, as well as discussions on how my views have evolved from his views.  A lot of independent thinking and experimentation can occur over 13 years...

One of the things that I've learned over time: the more you know, the more you understand why other manufacturers do what they do, and the rationale for their approaches become more apparent.  This is also true of not only loudspeakers, but also the differing amplifier topologies (including old technologies like tube) and crossovers (active and passive), and room treatments, etc.

Chris

In the spirit of wanting to learn something here about speaker/room interactions and how measurements inform the future PhDs of audiophile progress, it's unhelpful to use biased statements like, "...the subjective abyss" even if it's accurate in the inherently subjective nature of human auditory experience. Do wine tasters go at each other this way? Do coffee drinkers? Chefs? 

Instead, perhaps we may learn something about why measurements don't seem to capture all that people report hearing. Statements made in the first post suggest that all of an input signal's characteristics are known, and that those interactions result in all observable changes in data. It seems safe to observe that this is not in fact the case, and listeners are listening for different things that for them result in a sense of sonic satisfaction.

Having auditioned and heard the effect (or not) of many tweaks and traditional components in my listening room the last five years, I know that what I hear/listen for differs from most others. I've also observed the dearth of language available to communicate this phenomena to others, let alone measurements. Sure, some of that is the fact I am not an audio pro in any way and I don't play one on the Internets.

So the point is, I hope @Chris A will enlighten us with useful language concepts as much as measurements, rather than furthering yet another divide in this world.

Cheers.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

8 minutes ago, feelingears said:

In the spirit of wanting to learn something here about speaker/room interactions and how measurements inform the future PhDs of audiophile progress, it's unhelpful to use biased statements like, "...the subjective abyss" even if it's accurate in the inherently subjective nature of human auditory experience. Do wine tasters go at each other this way? Do coffee drinkers? Chefs? 

Instead, perhaps we may learn something about why measurements don't seem to capture all that people report hearing. Statements made in the first post suggest that all of an input signal's characteristics are known, and that those interactions result in all observable changes in data. It seems safe to observe that this is not in fact the case, and listeners are listening for different things that for them result in a sense of sonic satisfaction.

Having auditioned and heard the effect (or not) of many tweaks and traditional components in my listening room the last five years, I know that what I hear/listen for differs from most others. I've also observed the dearth of language available to communicate this phenomena to others, let alone measurements. Sure, some of that is the fact I am not an audio pro in any way and I don't play one on the Internets.

So the point is, I hope @Chris A will enlighten us with useful language concepts as much as measurements, rather than furthering yet another divide in this world.

Cheers.

Sorry, but your comments are specifically out of bounds for this subforum (i.e., subjective/non-measurable psychoacoustic factors).  I plan to stick to the guidelines laid down by the forum admin (and you probably will cross those lines to your own peril, I might add).  There are a lot of psychoacoustics discussions that are out there that you are probably not aware of already,  but this forum and in particular, this thread, are not really focused on those topics.

If you want to talk about those items, choose another subforum and start you own thread.  Perhaps I will be able to contribute there.

Chris

Ah well my apologies for inadvertently crossing the lines! I nonetheless look forward to learning something from your  posts.

Best,

Laurence

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

No worries.  I hope that you will find something here that you can use. However, it might take a little while to fully develop the topic, so patience might be a good characteristic to have extra helpings of here...  😉  Some of this is probably going to be a bit subtle for those not into loudspeaker engineering. 

Chris

6 hours ago, Chris A said:

First up, the most important single design goal in this expert's experience: low distortion numbers.

Where does this mystery individual rank speaker cabinet design in the list of must haves when attempting to achieve low distortion numbers? The cabinet appears to be much like the frame of your car or the foundation of your house. Compromises made here would seem to only pollute anything else you attach to it thus resulting in higher distortion numbers.

At least that's the pitch of the big money brands who tend to spend alot more time on designing exotic cabinets made from even more exotic materials in an effort to achieve the least resonant box possible. The more flavorful brands tend to try and let the box resonate more in an attempt to behave more like a musical instrument.

Which of these mind sets does the mystery individual belong to? Or perhaps neither? (which would be interesting)

Rigid box--no flexing is the goal (same for the waveguides).  This of course must be traded against weight and material cost, but in general, the trend over time has been toward stiffer boxes.  Remember the goal of a loudspeaker discussed above: it's not a "maker of music" but rather a "reproducer". 

Chris

You've mentioned "box" and "waveguide".

Since there are a few different speaker topologies (panel and open-baffle, waveguided box, horns) and because neither is perfect will you be looking into which characteristics make the best speaker for each one of them?

Or have you already settled for one particular topology which is a way of defining your preference?

Speakers are not listened to in anechoic rooms and different topologies interact differently with the room.

Besides audiophiles do not show a distinct (majority) preference for either wide or narrow dispersion nor for either treated nor untreated rooms.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

4 hours ago, semente said:

You've mentioned "box" and "waveguide".  Since there are a few different speaker topologies (panel and open-baffle, waveguided box, horns) and because neither is perfect will you be looking into which characteristics make the best speaker for each one of them? Or have you already settled for one particular topology which is a way of defining your preference?

Speakers are not listened to in anechoic rooms and different topologies interact differently with the room.

Besides audiophiles do not show a distinct (majority) preference for either wide or narrow dispersion nor for either treated nor untreated rooms.

Patience, grasshopper.  All will be revealed in its time... 🙏

Continuing on, now taking up the more well-known/advertised design capabilities of transfer function response and time-based response (impulse, decays, etc.), these capabilities are more easily shown in a hierarchical format...

412219948_Top-LevelLoudspeakerCapabilitiesHierarchy.GIF.332775aad1110fad926bf52c616bfdb8.GIF

I created this notional loudspeaker capabilities/defects hierarchy a couple of years ago for talking purposes in another thread, and some of the naming and placement of the quantities would likely change a bit, but for the purposes of this thread it's good enough for now, I believe (i.e., not necessarily complete).

The items in green background come from Sean Olive's paper on subjective loudspeaker preferences (i.e., a statistical correlation to a relatively large number of blind-blind listener trials performed at JBL-Canoga Park).  The two items in lighter blue background are correctable to some degree using digital signal processing.

So for the discussion of transfer function response, about half or perhaps 3/4s of the loudspeaker performance nowadays can be "corrected" via use of IIR or FIR filtering.  Crossover response in this context is dominated by the all-pass filter (phase growth) effects of the chosen crossover filters, assuming IIR filters are used (analog or digital).  FIR filters permit control of both amplitude and phase response vs. frequency, thus allowing the crossover designer the freedom to correct both amplitude and phase independently--at the cost of added time delays for the loudspeaker amplification channel overall.  Additionally, time-based response of impulse and even decays can be controlled via signal processing techniques. 

The point of the transfer function and time-based response portions of loudspeaker design is that these capabilities are largely correctable (to a degree) if the consumer wishes to correct these defects.  This is what I'd term the "new age" of home hi-fi loudspeaker development, which the studio monitor marketplace has largely already accepted.  There are also some PA installations with limited FIR filtering corrections, but these are limited to the inserted time delays which detract from their usefulness in live sound applications.

The distortion hierarchy breakdown (which I identified as the most important in the above discussion) shows some distortion types.  Notably missing is compression distortion (including thermal compression effects on crossovers and heated voice coils).  That type of distortion characteristic was omitted from the hierarchy originally because I typically don't deal with lower efficiency loudspeaker designs, but if you were, you'd have to add that as a significant source of distortion.  This would disproportionately affect planar membrane loudspeakers (direct radiating) and other loudspeaker designs employing only direct radiating drivers on flat or open baffles.

This is a good place to break for now...

Chris

On 9/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, Chris A said:

I've learned a great deal, which I've been able to turn into my own loudspeaker designs that might pass muster in any first-rate audio engineering company. 

Hi Chris:

Do you have photos of your aforementioned loudspeakers that you can share?

You posted this photo of your system in your profile:

631090333_AskewsMainRig16Feb_2019.jpg.73

And you described the loudspeaker system as follows:

"2007 Klipsch Jubilees (two-way w/TAD TD-4002 HF drivers in front corners), full-range multiple-entry K-402/BMS 4592ND with two Crites 15" cast frame woofers (center), '82 Belle bass bins with bi-amped ESS AMT-1s (surrounds), 14 Hz DIY tapped horns behind each Jubilee bass bin (subs)...a fully horn-loaded 5.1 surround sound setup."

Seems like some fine DIY (though you room looks rather tiny for those large horns), but not really a completely original effort.  Or is there some other system you have built?

Thanks!

The one in the middle in the picture above is my prototype: it's a full-range multiple entry horn (MEH) with 90x60 degree coverage from 100-20000 Hz, and SPL response is 18-20000 Hz, and has phase and group delay response that beats most non-FIR-filtered studio monitors (i.e., the one in the above picture doesn't use FIR filtering--just IIR filters).  It was created from a midbass module from a behind-the-screen cinema setup, reusing only the horn and box.  There have been a few others of this configuration built by others based on this design. 

I'll talk more about my designs (if you wish) after I get through these discussions in this thread.  It seems there is a standing militia in the wings waiting to pounce on anything I say to pigeon-hole me with some particular loudspeaker technology.  That's not the purpose of this thread--which is to help others with understanding how commercially available loudspeakers are designed and developed, particularly from a requirements standpoint.

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

...Seems like some fine DIY (though you room looks rather tiny for those large horns)...

That's a matter of opinion.  You should make a trip here to listen...I think you'd change your mind on that point.  I live about 25 minutes from D/FW International A/P.

Chris

How's that for a mixed metaphor...?  (the bold text, above).

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Well I for sure avoid militias--whether they are standing or sitting. :P

See what I mean...

I like this one better (attributed to Clay Krames, RIP):

Like a pack of hyenas jumping on the bandwagon to get their pound of flesh.

😄