IGNORED

Roon Labs is going to be enforcing their "Roon Certified" system on September 21st.

bobfa

Note that they have a workaround for present users with uncertified Roon Ready devices: there's a link to a form to fill out thatwill give you a type of "developer" status that allows your uncertified devices to be used. Worth filling it out.

What does this all mean for me?

1. Existing Roon accounts using uncertified devices as of September 21 can request to keep all access to their currently owned uncertified Roon Ready devices before September 21st. Once access is granted, they will see no changes to their access or ability to enable/disable those devices.
  2. All other Roon accounts will no longer be able to enable uncertified Roon Ready devices on/after September 21st.

So, how do I get the fix?

Fill out this form: https://zfrmz.com/hQNRXlk8iLiJaQeIN2Dv 648

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I've read that entire thread and still have no idea if my Raspberry Pi4 running Miskas NAA image will work after this...

It will work fine. The issue is manuacturers who claim their devices are Roon Certified to help their marketing when they haven't completed certiication by Roon. 

Your Pi makes no such claim. So if it is running NAA or Roon Bridge it will continue to work just as before. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Just now, firedog said:

It will work fine. The issue is manuacturers who claim their devices are Roon Certified to help their marketing when they haven't completed certiication by Roon. 

Your Pi makes no such claim. So if it is running NAA or Roon Bridge it will continue to work just as before. 

Thanks.

No electron left behind.

I have a Linq and a Formula. Killer combo. I will never stop using Roon. It is worth every penny.

I used Audirvana for a few weeks and I loose my sanity.

Not sure why is the reason Aqua is trying to go around Roon but there must be a reason other than "money".

Will enquire.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

22 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Let's not beat about the bush here, Roon has the target on Aqua. Took a screen shot in case circumstances change. Aqua claim that their LinQ can work with Roon, uncertified, aka "I'm not paying for the royalties to Roon". 

image.thumb.png.cf7853ddd2cc517dd1d2d4ee8c690953.png

Link also here, impressive engineering, must say.

Wow...

Couldn't you just use the NAA module if you use HQPlayer that is?????? I have to admit, this whole thing has me so confused

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Interesting how?

They have every right to do this, they are basically enforcing their rights re: IP and licensing laws if I am reading this properly.

Interesting that Roon is choosing to enforce their IP by potentially bricking their paying member's equipment, rather than going after the manufacture themselves for making the false claim.

Roon got themselves in this situation by allowing manufacturer's to claim "Roon Ready" before completing the Roon certification.  The crux of the issue is that the manufacturers are claiming "Roon Ready" when the product is actually not.  Roon should be be protecting their IP by going after the manufacturer to making the false claims.... i.e. forcing them to remove the false claim from their products, marketing material, packaging, etc. But I can see Roon not wanting to do this since this is essentially free marketing/branding for them.  Hence..the interesting.

14 minutes ago, k27R said:

Interesting that Roon is choosing to enforce their IP by potentially bricking their paying member's equipment, rather than going after the manufacture themselves for making the false claim.

Roon got themselves in this situation by allowing manufacturer's to claim "Roon Ready" before completing the Roon certification.  The crux of the issue is that the manufacturers are claiming "Roon Ready" when the product is actually not.  Roon should be be protecting their IP by going after the manufacturer to making the false claims.... i.e. forcing them to remove the false claim from their products, marketing material, packaging, etc. But I can see Roon not wanting to do this since this is essentially free marketing/branding for them.  Hence..the interesting.

You're assuming they haven't tried that. And was Roon truly allowing them to do it, or were manufacturers just doing it as a marketing ploy? Does Roon have the money for a long legal battle, even though they're in the right it could bankrupt them and put them out of business.

If you're mad, you should direct your anger at Aqua Acoustics.

No electron left behind.

Yes if you read the thread, Roon said they allow manufactures to make the claim as long as the equipment is in the process of being certified. The problem is manufacturers in the middle of certification but not finishing it, or failing and not correcting it. 

I don’t know or care if Roon can afford legal to properly protect their IP. 

56 minutes ago, k27R said:

Yes if you read the thread, Roon said they allow manufactures to make the claim as long as the equipment is in the process of being certified. The problem is manufacturers in the middle of certification but not finishing it, or failing and not correcting it. 

I don’t know or care if Roon can afford legal to properly protect their IP. 

If I read the thread?  LOL

You should care if you have hardware that will be bricked.

And lastly, if YOU read the thread you would see that Roon has provided a way for users to grandfather themselves in so their Roon installation continues to work as normal.

You also allegedly do not have a Roon subscription anyway, so why you so mad bro?

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Let's not beat about the bush here, Roon has the target on Aqua. Took a screen shot in case circumstances change. Aqua claim that their LinQ can work with Roon, uncertified, aka "I'm not paying for the royalties to Roon". 

image.thumb.png.cf7853ddd2cc517dd1d2d4ee8c690953.png

Link also here, impressive engineering, must say.

I also want to add that I doubt Roon is calling out Aqua Acoustics, Roon put an image of a Chord DAC in their thread...

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, k27R said:

They aren't bricking anything. They are just making it so devices with a false claim of Roon Ready don't work with Roon.  You are still welcome to use the device with other software. 

Anyway, all someone who still wants to use Roon needs to do is to use any PC or RPi loaded with Roon or Roon Bridge for playback. And in the meantime, bug the maker of their device to put the Roon Ready certification in order. 

• 3 months later...