IGNORED

I am having possibly the weirdest problem I have ever experienced regarding compuer based audio

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I recently built a CAPS server, closely following Chris's build spec for spec. The differences are small hardware wise, software wise I am using Ubuntu and HQPlayer. Music is stored locally, and right now I am using the ethernet network connection on the motherboard. The problem is that occasionally, Roon Server will just stop playing music, whether streaming from the net via Qobuz or from the local HDD inside the machine. Grabbing my iPad and pressing play gets it playing again, immediately. At the same time there appears to be no interruption of internet connectivity to any devices on the network.

Where do I even begin looking for the cause of this so I can fix it?

You may want to reseat/swap your USB cable to see if the problem disappears. If you have any powered devices in the USB path make sure their power connections

are tightly seated.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I notice it happening more often when I am listening to an internet radio station than when I am streaming from Qobuz or local files.

Sounds like a latency/buffer optimization  problem as Internet radio will be more problematic for bandwidth/latency than Qobuz or local files.

If it were a DAC synch issue, it would be random dropouts independent of source, so I don't think intermittent USB  connectivity dropout is going to be the cause now.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system