IGNORED

OPTIMO_ATX - truly linear ATX power supply

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

@Marcin_gps with your Duo LPS being a competitive price point. Are you expecting your new ATX to be of similar price? or what commercial price point you trying to hit?

I am not trying to hit any price. With the level of quality and reliability we are are going to provide, we can't compete in terms of pricing. 

This is a pioneer product which does not have a competition. 

For now I can say that it will be more expensive than the OPTIMO 3 DUO. 

But it will deliver the sound that is not just a little bit better from today's solutions. 

More details to come... 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

What's strange is the above specification says capable of 23amps, but then same it's capable of 95w TDP. (At 12v is circa 8amps. So maybe the it's not a continuous 23amps, maybe @Marcin_gps can confirm?

I currently use 10a LPS, (12v) & run my i9 9900k @5.0ghz with HQPlayer (128DSD) and HDPlex case. 

If JCAT is capable of continuous 23A then i9 10900k should work with ease, but will need good cooling, only passive case I know that can do that is Turemetal UP10. If using a CAPS watercooler or fans then it should work. 

Optimo ATX nominal continuous output current will be 23A on each of main rails (12, 5 and 3.3V). The capability to support 95W processor platforms comes from Intel recomendations for power supplies.

image.png.3aa32318852ee9a2ed01d1302596f15e.png
 TDP has nothing to do with actaual power consumption of processor. It stands for Thermal Design Power it is more theoretical term describing the chip ability to generate heat.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

6 hours ago, Patatorz said:

I’m using today an atx power supply to feed a server only (not player) and the impact of this atx is huge. Depending on the price not sure it would makes sense to me to invest. Perhaps more designed for people having a player/server based PC. Time and budget will tell 🙂

at this point of time, waiting for the netcard XE 🙂

anyway this is a really good move forward for audiophiles people. Congrats @Marcin_gps

Which ATX PSU are you using now? 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Vlaag said:

As a fan of the Ansuz feets and isolators, will they retro fit on this case, can the feets be replaced or are they already some fancy on? Thx

You will be able to use the Ansuz feets. There will be a small rubber type isolators included.

I personally use foQ footers under my components with good results. 

17 minutes ago, Pablooo said:

I am trying to understand where to place this power supply in terms of quality.  Is the aim to match or improve the Optimo 3 with regard to the 5v lines that, for example, feed the Jcat usb and net cards?  I read that it will beat all competition, does that include your own Optimo 3 (which is not comparable in terms of functionality of course)?

Like I wrote in the USB XE thread, the Optimo 3 Duo will perform better if used with low-powered components.  The 5V AUX output is shared with ATX lines, so it's still a good idea to use the Optimo 3 Duo for the cards for best  performance.

The quality is exceptional, but slightly below optimo for that purpose. It is simply not possible to achieve that kind of low-noise at 23A. 

That said, I think the OPTIMO ATX will be an attractive all-in-one package.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 10/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, ASRMichael said:

Marcin what will make your new ATX LPS so special it will beat all competition? 

This is world's first truly linear ATX power supply.  Other power supplies on the market are hybrid switching type power supplies with some linear regulation - it's not the same. 

Quality backed up by real world performance, not just marketing slogans. 

Reliability - the power supplies are built to last.

Safety: CE compliance proven in documentation and lab tests.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

11 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Marcin

I’m not trying to be a pain here but Sean Jacobs DC range is True Linear Power supply. Many use his LPS for ATX. 

My question was more on the specific parts. Maybe details will follow in due course. 

Cheers

It's not an ATX power supply as far as I know. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

4 hours ago, Exocer said:

Hi Marcin, very interested in this unit. Any chance you'll be able to provide an approximate price range? Will there be a "smaller" option for those who already have an Optimo or smaller two-rail LPSU for PCI-E cards?

There will be one model with some options that will affect the price. 

I will announce the price when the product is ready. 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Vlaag said:

It will be a great update for my 2 kecess p8’s powering the pc. I wonder what casing and cables are required

It will come in a nice enclosure with high-quality DC cables.  (render image of the enclosure below)

Picture1.jpg.766cfaa5b16e3b8ba7a1f4c9a058f5d2.jpg

The pictures above show only one regulator board. There will be 3 regulator boards (for each power line; 12V, 5V and 3.3V), power transformers (separate for each line) and control logic board. 

In other words; it's a plug & play product requiring no expert knowledge from a user. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi @Marcin_gps

This looks very impressive! A couple of quick questions: if powering a mobo with this Linear ATX PSU:

• Does the PSU have a separate 12V rail for EPS? Or will CPU power come from the 12V rail on ATX?
  • If using the XE USB and Net cards, can these card now operate (with optimal SQ) on bus power, or does the user still need 2 more external 5V rails for these cards?

Also, how do you envisage this evolving as the ATX12VO standard becomes more prevalent?

Thanks.

Hi @austinpop

Good questions! 

During R&D we experimented a lot with different setups and cables, including connecting separate regulator for CPU power line. Optimo ATX will come with standard cables including ATX connector and CPU power connector, though this lines share common regulator.

However in most computer mainboards those power lines are connected anyway, and separate cable for CPU is only to provide enough power for high TDP processors that ATX cable alone can’t support. In most computers with 35W TDP processor you can disconnect CPU cable and computer will run just fine.

The Optimo ATX will provide superb sound quality powering JCAT USB and network cards, however on our test rig we still observe some improvement using the Optimo 3 Duo for the cards. I think that this comes as no surprise as the Optimo 3 Duo is superior in terms of power quality over the Optimo ATX and these most sensitive components will benefit from that extra quality. 

ATX12VO is still a song of the future as most platforms on the market are ATX, we also expect some compatibility of ATX12VO mainboards with adapters especially for lower power platforms. Developing our ATX we kept this new standard in mind. Based on the  technology developed for the Optimo ATX we will be able to build audiophile quality ATX12VO standard power supply when the time comes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

20 hours ago, AME said:

Hello@Marcin_gps,

I'm new on the forum and at the moment building a new PC which is a bit of a mix between the Taiko and Pink Faun and looking for a very good PSU to feed this build.

You mention also a matching PC case, 

Can this case house a full EATX board and how is the cooling solution?

What are the dimensions of the case, the provided picture of the PSU internals is a bit to small to see the dimensions.

My new build has 5 Low profile PCI cards, can this fit in the case

Are there any special futures in the case, like damping or compartments to house peripherals?

Thanks!

Full ATX stadard only. We have not decided on cooling yet. 

Please note that the maximum CPU TDP for the OPTIMO ATX is 95W (see below)

image.thumb.png.9578d487df775d70ce6ae95d79bc55de.png

11 hours ago, Dev said:

@Marcin_gps any plans to build a DC-DC ATX power supply, similar to Hdplex 400w/800w units ? Those with their own DC power supply (non-ATX) might benefit from this.

We have no plans for a DC-DC ATX power supply. 

In our experience the biggest improvement comes from using a clean 12V LPS. And some DC-DC ATX boards pass-through the 12V from the external PSU to the motherboard / CPU. So for customers using DC-DC ATX converters we will have a powerful single-rail LPS (based on the OPTIMO ATX's  Linear Regulator Board )

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...