Superb Solo Piano albums.

The piano can be a whole orchestra on it's own but with when played with the right touch it can also be as intimate as the voice of a singer.

Please list some of your favorite solopiano recordings.

This is one of my favorites. The recording quality is not up to ECM's usual standard but the music is very touching and moving.

spacer.png The Melody at Night, with You

In stark contrast to his other solo albums, this one consists of short, simple, straightforward interpretations of ballads, songs in the public domain, and one very pretty original ("Meditation"), all taken at funereal tempi with hardly any virtuoso flourishes. Richard S. Ginell

Toots Thielemans pianist Mike Del Ferro has made a beautiful (and very well recorded) solo album which really demonstrates the singing quality a piano can have when played with the right touch.

spacer.pngSkylark, Mike De fFerro

"In my mind's ear I hear my ideal piano sound. It’s a round, dark and full sound, with a singing quality. It's almost like a symphony orchestra hidden inside the piano, able to produce as many musical colours as possible. The danger with the piano is that if you don’t take care of your touch, it can sound very harsh and mechanical while with the right touch, dynamics and intention you can make a simple triad sound like an orchestra. I am still working on my sound on a daily basis".
Mike Del Ferro

Bill Evans was a master of touch but I still prefer his trio albums. But if you want to have a listen to this album do get the Japanese mastering as it much superior in SQ.

spacer.png

‘Alone’ is far from ‘easy listening’ – throughout it commands attention...... On a general theme his qualities of performance vary between massive strength coupled with deep harmony to sensitive and delicate melodic lines. ‘Alone ‘ is one of those recordings that warrants listening to repeatedly – each time something new is revealed.

Jack Ashby

God is in the house!

The farther of modern piano playing, Art Tatum was an expert in solo piano. He is still to this day regarded as being in a league of his own.

spacer.png 

On 9/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, AnotherSpin said:

I listened again to this early solo album by Keith Jarrett just yesterday. This is my old favorite, owned a copy on vinyl back in the seventies. I never cease to be amazed by its fragile, unreal beauty. Qobuz streaming sounds perfect.

Keith Jarrett solo albums are all fantastic. But I admit I had missed out on this one. I will go and search immidiatly! Thanks!

6 minutes ago, oso said:

Keith Jarrett solo albums are all fantastic. But I admit I had missed out on this one. I will go and search immidiatly! Thanks!

You welcome. This particular one is quite unique, it was recorded in studio, while most of Jarret's solo albums recorded live as you certainly know.

I love this one, "book 2" also.  Fantastic recording and music, Debussy:

https://www.nativedsd.com/catalogue/albums/wvk001-debussy-preludes-book-1/

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio