IGNORED

CDs on ONKYO TX 8270 via PC using Andriod Onkyo controller

Use Windows Media Player on PC - ensure Windows 10 > Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Media streaming options > Onkyo TX-8270 4F5873 "allowed" is checked.

Install Onkyo Andriod controller on phone/tablet. From Main > NET > Music Server > DESKTOP-N87KV8K: user (yours maybe different) 
> Music etc

Note I can also reliably Cast from my phone/tablet BBC Sounds, PowerPoint and Qobuz to the Onkyo.

I use this method as I do not have my TX-8270 connected, via HDMI, to my TV. PC connected to Onkyo  HDMI PC port via HDMI to USB cable.

I now want to play CDs via the portable CD player (LG Portable DVD player) on the Onkyo. Note in Media Streaming options is "Unknown Device This device cannot access your media when your pc sleeps" suggesting it is the portable DVD player plugged into the USB.

Although I can play CDs on the Media Player, on my PC, the Onkyo app does not show the "VCD or CD audio" option that the Media Player offers.

The Onkyo app does not recognise Foobar; I use Foobar to rip CDs onto my PC from this portable player.

Has anyone any advice on how to play CDs from this portable player on my Onkyo?

foobar2000 itself supports playing CDs and can stream the audio output to any UPnP/DLNA renderer on the network. So foobar2000 should be able to detect the Onkyo TX-8270 as a UPnP renderer on the network and list it as an audio output device for you to select. The optional UPnP MediaRenderer Output (foo_out_upnp) plugin component needs to be installed for this to work:

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

That did not work. Onkyo does not recognise Foobar even with the plug in.

I now think that the Onkyo software needs to be written to accept a CD player as part of Winows Media Player. I guess Onkyo software will only recognise Windows Media Player ?

However any more advice would be welcomed.

1 hour ago, athegn said:

???

I did not say that the foo_out_upnp plugin would get the Onkyo to recognise foobar2000 - it's the other way around and nether the Onkyo nor the Onkyo software is actively involved at all in the procedure. So:

- foobar2000 recognises the Onkyo as an audio output device (prefixed by UPnP);

- you select the UPnP Onkyo device as foobar2000's output device;

- you play the audio CD on foobar2000;

- the resulting audio output is UPnP streamed over the network and played by the Onkyo.

1 hour ago, athegn said:

I now think that the Onkyo software needs to be written to accept a CD player as part of Winows Media Player.

Ironically, that too is the other way around. 🙂

It's Windows Media Player's audio library via the Windows built-in DLNA server that needs to provide the audio CD tracks in a valid PCM audio format for UPnP streaming over the network.

1 hour ago, athegn said:

I guess Onkyo software will only recognise Windows Media Player ?

The Onkyo software should be able to access any UPnP/DLNA media server, not just the Windows built-in DLNA server. In fact foobar2000 can be configured to provide its audio library and playlists via its own UPnP media server if you install a different plugin component. So it should be possible to get the Onkyo software to access the audio CD tracks that have been loaded into foobar2000's Audio CD playlist via the foobar2000 UPnP media server and get the Onkyo to play them that way.

However, that's a bit more complicated to set up and would really like to see if you can get foobar2000 playing the audio CD over the network to the Onkyo with the foo_out_upnp plugin first.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, athegn said:

I now think that the Onkyo software needs to be written to accept a CD player as part of Winows Media Player. I guess Onkyo software will only recognise Windows Media Player ?

However any more advice would be welcomed.

I have an Onkyo T-4070 mutlifunction Tuner, same family as the 8270 s'pse. It accepts a DLNA Server input from Jriver26. Doesn't have to be Jriver, any DLNA server will do, Jriver is working & can play regular flac/wav tracks as well as from CD Drives. My computer name was recognised by the Tuner, since Jriver is setup to perform that function for videos. That's another drama on its own, Jriver is quite hopeless/inept/unreliable to provide a Miracast solution over the network....

It's possible to play ripped tracks (FLAC/WAV) to a certain sample rate with the Tuner, so no real problems, sounds quite good, but don't count on gapless, cause there ain't any, so gaps is what you get. When switching to a loaded CD Drive in the computer and pressing play, "a problem occurred with the playback" which is a generic message that software  you paid for can't work out what the problem is, and the user has to figure it out for themselves. Equal to a Windows "an error occurred".

The list of supported files played over the network does not include tracks that are on CD Drives, so I would say playing from the CD Drive may not work for the Onkyo. Ripping the files from CD and playing them works over the network.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

12 hours ago, One and a half said:

I have an Onkyo T-4070 mutlifunction Tuner, same family as the 8270 s'pse.

Unlikely, given that the TX-8270 is a recent device and the T-4070 has reviews going back to at least 2012!

I have an Onkyo T-4070 mutlifunction Tuner, same family as the 8270 s'pse. It accepts a DLNA Server input from Jriver26. Doesn't have to be Jriver, any DLNA server will do, Jriver is working & can play regular flac/wav tracks as well as from CD Drives.

The list of supported files played over the network does not include tracks that are on CD Drives, so I would say playing from the CD Drive may not work for the Onkyo. Ripping the files from CD and playing them works over the network.

Agreed. I also tried JRiver and it cannot be used to play an audio CD to its detected UPnP/DLNA players. For some reason JRiver unfortunately doesn't seem to engage the selected UPnP/DLNA player's associated DLNA server which (hopefully) should have been able to supply it with playable 16-bit WAV track streams (so JRiver configured with the relevant DLNA server's Audio set to Mode: specified output format and Format: PCM 16-bit) transcoded from the audio CD's raw audio track data.

Presumably you are not suggesting that other Windows software (eg, foobar2000 with the relevant plugins installed) similarly may not work. 

It's possible to play ripped tracks (FLAC/WAV) to a certain sample rate with the Tuner, so no real problems, sounds quite good, but don't count on gapless, cause there ain't any, so gaps is what you get.

BTW, because the foo_out_upnp plugin streams foobar2000's audio output, so not the playlist's individual audio file tracks, it is naturally gapless (this is similar to why Roon is always gapless with its End Points) - so worth trying with your Onkyo UPnP/DLNA streamer tuner as a 'fix' for its lack of gapless playback support.

-- Jo Cox

No, that shows the settings for a totally different foobar2000 plugin component. I didn't say there would be a UPnP tab, not in Preferences > Components > Tools > Advanced, or anywhere else.

You simply need to select the Onkyo TX-8270 identified as a UPnP renderer (by the UPnP prefix) as foobar2000's output device (so in Preferences > Playback > Output) and play the CD as you normally would on foobar2000. For example, here's a pic of foobar2000 network streaming the output of a CD it's playing (currently track 01) to my Pioneer N-50 streamer - note the N-50 having been selected as foobar2000's output device (and that it has a UPnP prefix).

image.thumb.png.f672aa1c7784b0eb5b2a4df172bbe2cf.png

-- Jo Cox