IGNORED

Are Class D Amplifiers really "digital"?

52 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Cool.  Your build layout looks great.

Kind of ironic that you chose a case that has so much heat sinking when these are supposed to run very cool. Guess its dimensions help with optimal layout.

Finding or building a decent chassis is one of the huge problems with DIY, unless one has some skills and access to a good machine shop it is slim pickens for nice chassis out there.  I chose this one because I could get it, the dimensions were about right, and it was made in the USA with high quality workmanship and materials.  The fact that it has heatsinks is not applicable to this build, as the Purifi modules are very efficient, and Hypex has improved the efficiency of the SMPS 1200 as well.  Even in this case. sealed with no ventilation holes, the amp runs barely warm in a 70 degree room when blasting for an hour at 88 dB average levels.  BTW, I have an NC-400 DIY in the same case, except with ventilation holes, and the Purifi runs much cooler than the NC-400.  I do not think there needs to be much consideration of heat sinking with an Eigentakt stereo build with a Hypex SMPS 1200 as long as the modules are tightly screwed to an aluminum plate.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 10/4/2020 at 12:02 PM, barrows said:

As I build my own amps, I have not really spent a lot of time paying attention to the amps that are available with Purifi modules.  A lot of the offerings, from say, Nord et al, appear to have less than ideal internal layouts for some weird reason.  I do like the options which allow for the pro audio style discrete opamps, the pro audio discrete opamps from Weiss, for example, are very, very good.  How much does all this matter, I do not know, but I prefer an amp with a logical and well sorted internal layout.

To me Apollon build quality is second to none. That is why my 2 amps are from them.

For example their mono Purifi amps with pro opamps below.

https://www.apollonaudio.com/purifi-1et400a-apollon-audio-monoblock/

PURIFI-1ET400A-Front-Top-Pair.thumb.jpg.ec0a869debdd1684de144fcd9d681db7.jpg

PURIFI-1ET400A-Front-Isometric.thumb.jpg.2c3e1beeb9472528073a47e402d3798b.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Finding or building a decent chassis is one of the huge problems with DIY, unless one has some skills and access to a good machine shop it is slim pickens for nice chassis out there.

What's up, barrows?

I have a fair number of them from visiting thrift shops. In other words, I look for cheap as chips gear with a chassis and re-use those.

The metal you see in my avatar here comes from one of those.

I get them for around CAD5 - 10, so less than $10...

Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I also get quite a good transformer for Linear PSU builds as a bonus (with other re-usable internal parts).

I sometimes also get gear for free: given away or thrown away. Cost to me is zero.

Some of the chassis require a paint job, some require drilling, additional metal work, but beats having to buy and ship a new chassis for me so far.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Ghent and Modushop both sell various sizes of chassis too.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

The Audiophonics model, which I recieved today ( https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/amplificateur-de-puissance/audiophonics-hpa-s400et-amplificateur-stereo-class-d-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html?search_query=purifi&fast_search=fs)  has these modules:  TI LM4562. The Purifi Eval Board has OPA1612. I believe the Nord has those as well. They can be swapped on the Audiophonics model. Any reason to prefer one over the other ?

10 hours ago, hopkins said:

The Audiophonics model, which I recieved today ( https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/amplificateur-de-puissance/audiophonics-hpa-s400et-amplificateur-stereo-class-d-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html?search_query=purifi&fast_search=fs)  has these modules:  TI LM4562. The Purifi Eval Board has OPA1612. I believe the Nord has those as well. They can be swapped on the Audiophonics model. Any reason to prefer one over the other ?

Salut @Hopkins,

Nice to read that you've already received your Purifi amp.
I am very curious how you like it in comparison to your Lavardin integrated amplifier.
For some more specifics about op amps for the Purifi you may like to check out this review: https://bit.ly/3nxn3lQ
Cheers from the Loire valley
Tom

@hopkins

I had the pleasure of listen to the eval kit (with the Purifi transducers) and a Mola Mola pre/dac, sitting between Lars and Bruno (the designers). I was certainly impressed, from both of them and from the precise clarity of the Eigentakt. However I felt somehow impacted by sheer presence ;-) Nonetheless, I am considering the Apollon Purifi Mini as an upgrade path ...
Cheers, Tom

When it comes to Class D amps, I also had a chance to listen to SPEC amps, in comparison to an Audioflight amp, at a dealer's, using Harbeth Super HL5+. The Spec amp (I forget the model) gets a lot of praise in some circles, but I was not particularly struck by any differences in comparison with that other "non class D" amp. Thinking over this episode now, I would tend to think the Purifi amps are probably in a different league, but that is also certainly a little speculative. I'll be curious to read about more customer feedback about the Purifi amps, other than incomprehensible 6moon type reviews, now that they are more widely available. 

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

I don't want to sound snobbish, but a listening test of two amps that are supposed to be "very low noise" with either a Behringer or a minidsp crossover in the chain, as described in that review, may very well defeat the purpose? 

Fair enough, disconsider the subjective parts of that review then. Others below:

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1420-purifi-audios-pint-sized-powerhouses

On 10/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, hopkins said:

other than incomprehensible 6moon type reviews

Wow, I though I was the only one who held the opinion that 6moons reviews made absolutely no sense.  

Random babble for many paragraphs and sometimes, though rarely, a few words about how the gear being reviewed sounds in comparison to other similarly priced gear.  And even then, usually overwhelmed by one or more tangents about some tweak or cable or obscure recording...have given up reading their reviews out of frustration; when I get to the end of a review, I wonder why I bothered.

Believe the first review I read was one on the McCormack DNA-500, which was actually very informative and accurate.  I still have my DNA-500 and it rocks. It was written by Chip Stern, an outlier, who has a history of audio reviews and seems to understand how to describe the musical character of audio gear.

Tone with Soul

10 hours ago, 57gold said:

Wow, I though I was the only one who held the opinion that 6moons reviews made absolutely no sense.  

Random babble for many paragraphs and sometimes, though rarely, a few words about how the gear being reviewed sounds in comparison to other similarly priced gear.  And even then, usually overwhelmed by one or more tangents about some tweak or cable or obscure recording...have given up reading their reviews out of frustration; when I get to the end of a review, I wonder why I bothered.

Believe the first review I read was one on the McCormack DNA-500, which was actually very informative and accurate.  I still have my DNA-500 and it rocks. It was written by Chip Stern, an outlier, who has a history of audio reviews and seems to understand how to describe the musical character of audio gear.

I find it funny/ironic that they call themselves the site for audiophiles who "like to read".... Apparently they have a minimum length for reviews, and in addition to length, the text must be obtuse.

That said, I think they do provide some useful info: they review products from small producers from all over the world that many other sites don't or won't. They also compare the sounds of products, so if you get to know the reviewers and have some idea of what the products sound like you can figure out which ones go on your audition list or don't go on your audition list.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Firedog, I like to read. Probably get through two books a week on my Kindle, daily local paper, NY Times, Bloomberg news subscription...

Chip Stern's 6moons review of the DNA-500 was not short; it discussed info about Mr McCormack, the design choices he made on his products and development and sale of his company to CJ and took care to describe the sonic quality of the amp versus others he had reviewed.   My honors English teacher would have given him an A for staying on point and supporting his conclusions.  This approach does not seem to be the framework for many a current 6moons review these days.  

Agree that 6moons seems to comb the planet for new products from small, up and coming manufacturers...as far as you can get from Best Buy inventory, which is valuable.  Guess they can be seen as the other side of the coin from audisciencereview.com where a review is a bunch of measurements, boiled down to one number.

Tone with Soul