IGNORED

Are Class D Amplifiers really "digital"?

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Since DSD is essentially PWM, 

That's not true, as the video @kumakumalinked below and many web pages explain. DSD is PDM, pulse density modulation, and the way it's encoded and decoded is different from PWM, pulse width modulation. In some ways they look similar, especially with full scale simple sine waves, but they're not the same.

This OT post of mine doesn't answer the "analog-ness" though.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, kumakuma said:

Well, you sound like an engineer and I'm not, but I learned the distinction from engineering web sites, not Wikipedia. The difference between "similar" and "same" is semantic. Even the Wikipedia article you cite says:"For a 50% voltage with a resolution of 8-bits, a PWM waveform will turn on for 128 clock cycles and then off for the remaining 128 cycles. With PDM and the same clock rate the signal would alternate between on and off every other cycle. The average is 50% for both waveforms, but the PDM signal switches more often."

So the methods and ideas are related, but the implementation is different, i.e. the signals will be different, except at the peaks where they're the same. And several engineering/programming sites describe them as related, but different.

But you win.... to battle this out would be pedantic.