I used the original version of Dirac, which may differ from yours, so take this cum grano sails.

Other than the first measurement, which should be as close as you can make it to where the center of your head would be if you were seated in the chair, the precise location of the other eight measurements in my experience was rather less important. They merely have to cluster near (say within 1 meter but no closer than 1 foot) from the the first position. They don't have to coincide with the corners of a perfect cube around the first measurement position.

In the dozens of measurements I took with Dirac, I at first tended to put the rear ones a foot or two above and below, and a few inches behind, my head - no farther back than even with the back of my chair. In later measurements I sometimes would mess about with putting the mic farther behind the chair; but I never noticed any difference in the results that made me favor one approach over the other.

Bottom line is that Dirac is quite sophisticated software, and my hunch is that it is "smart" enough to handle a large degree of variance among users with respect to mic placement. I also suspect strongly that if that were not the case, and if instead iit were highly sensitive to mic locations for samples 2 through 9, then Dirac would spell that out clearly and maybe say, e.g., exactly how many centimeters to space the measurements.

Instead (at least at the time I was using the first version of the application) they just indicated the importance of precisely placing the first measurement location and then provided graphic representations of chair and sofa showing approximate mic locations for measurements 2 through 9. And yes, the graphics did show the rear positions as slightly behind the first position, but that in my experience was guidance rather than prescription. H

Hope that helps!

JiLS

sonicTransporter i5 > EtherREGEN > opticalRendu > T+A DAC 8 DSD > Primare PRE35 > Primare A35.2 > PSB Synchrony Two speakers + REL T/9i subwoofers

I move the chair/sofa half it's depth backwards, taking my listening spot into the middle of the sofa for measuring purposes, then measure around that and move it back for listening.  Works for me.  The only problem would be for those with a wall close behind the listening position - which I always avoid.

Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

Sorry to hear that, the rear wall right behind is a pain.

Mac Mini/Audirvana with Dirac Live -Stello U3 - Weiss DAC202 - Lavardin IT-15 - ART Emotion Sigs.  Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen) & Sennheiser IE800s.

It matters a lot where the first measurement is taken - it should be exactly where you sit, between your ears. Subsequent measurements are not critical. I do one each 18” to the left, right, and forward. And two more, one at 12” higher and one at 12” lower, forward, with one of those to the right and one of those to the left. That’s for a single listener. Substitute 2 feet or 2.5’ for 18” if you are trying for a larger couch based sweet spot.

The above feeds Dirac with height and width information.

Roon + HQ Player front end; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 2115sm active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; Lumagen Radiance video processor; Wolf Ref 700 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

2 hours ago, Brucemck2 said:

It matters a lot where the first measurement is taken - it should be exactly where you sit, between your ears. Subsequent measurements are not critical. I do one each 18” to the left, right, and forward. And two more, one at 12” higher and one at 12” lower, forward, with one of those to the right and one of those to the left. That’s for a single listener. Substitute 2 feet or 2.5’ for 18” if you are trying for a larger couch based sweet spot.

The above feeds Dirac with height and width information.

Thank you for your suggestions. I see you too are using the MSB DAC and Roon. I have had to drop Roon as it won't work with Dirac and I find Dirac very important to my SQ ( not happy with a virtual cable).

On 9/11/2020 at 6:41 AM, jiminlogansquare said:

I used the original version of Dirac, which may differ from yours, so take this cum grano sails.

Other than the first measurement, which should be as close as you can make it to where the center of your head would be if you were seated in the chair, the precise location of the other eight measurements in my experience was rather less important. They merely have to cluster near (say within 1 meter but no closer than 1 foot) from the the first position. They don't have to coincide with the corners of a perfect cube around the first measurement position.

In the dozens of measurements I took with Dirac, I at first tended to put the rear ones a foot or two above and below, and a few inches behind, my head - no farther back than even with the back of my chair. In later measurements I sometimes would mess about with putting the mic farther behind the chair; but I never noticed any difference in the results that made me favor one approach over the other.

Bottom line is that Dirac is quite sophisticated software, and my hunch is that it is "smart" enough to handle a large degree of variance among users with respect to mic placement. I also suspect strongly that if that were not the case, and if instead iit were highly sensitive to mic locations for samples 2 through 9, then Dirac would spell that out clearly and maybe say, e.g., exactly how many centimeters to space the measurements.

Instead (at least at the time I was using the first version of the application) they just indicated the importance of precisely placing the first measurement location and then provided graphic representations of chair and sofa showing approximate mic locations for measurements 2 through 9. And yes, the graphics did show the rear positions as slightly behind the first position, but that in my experience was guidance rather than prescription. H

Hope that helps!

Many thanks.....this is helpful !