IGNORED

Holo Cyan DSD: Doesn't Support DSD512?

I own a Cyan DSD. When I try to play music converted to DSD via HQPlayer, the HQPlayer screen shows that it is outputting DSD:
Format: 96k / 24 / 2 -> 24.576M
However, the Cyan shows 768K on the front display and no sound is produced. If I force 44.1kx512 in HQPlayer, the Cyan does show DSD512 in the front but no sound is played. Dropping it to 44.1k x256 shows DSD256 on the Cyan and music IS played. I have installed the latest ASIO driver from the Holo site of course.
I have 2 concerns:
1. Does the Cyan DSD support the 48k / 24.576M rate?
2. Does the Cyan DSD support DSD512?

23 minutes ago, ericuco said:

The Cyan DSD does not support 48k format files.  You have convert everything to 44.1k format.

In HQP, uncheck the 48k DSD box on settings panel. Also set Bit rate(/limit) to 44.1k x512.

Forcing 44.1k x512 shows DSD512 on the front of the Cyan but there is no sound.

Cyan does support DSD512 at 44.1k x512 rates, I have Cyan and I know it works (at least on Linux, never used it on anything else). Please make sure the device is in NOS mode. And that you don't accidentally have something like DoP enabled. Note also that some of the filters cannot convert between rate families, so you need to choose one that does.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

1. Does the Cyan DSD support the 48k / 24.576M rate?

No it doesn't.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

2. Does the Cyan DSD support DSD512?

Yes it does. But best overall performance is at DSD256 from ASDM7EC or ASDM5EC modulator.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Cyan does support DSD512 at 44.1k x512 rates, I have Cyan and I know it works (at least on Linux, never used it on anything else). Please make sure the device is in NOS mode. And that you don't accidentally have something like DoP enabled. Note also that some of the filters cannot convert between rate families, so you need to choose one that does.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. But best overall performance is at DSD256 from ASDM7EC or ASDM5EC modulator.

Thank you I'll try some of these settings. DSD256 works fine. I wonder if it's that incompatibility with Windows and DSD512 that the off-the-shelf USB controllers which have been a problem for years?

4 hours ago, GUTB said:

Thank you I'll try some of these settings. DSD256 works fine. I wonder if it's that incompatibility with Windows and DSD512 that the off-the-shelf USB controllers which have been a problem for years?

I'm using the motherboard USB controllers (part of the Intel chipset). USB cable is standard cheap blue USB3 type (with the big USB3 type-B connector). Windows could be, since I have never tested Cyan on Windows. But since it uses same USB controller board as Spring, I would expect that to work too... So a bit mysterious case.

What filter and modulator settings are you using? With poly-sinc-ext2 and ASDM7 modulator it should work on quite many computers with "Multicore DSP" set to grayed (auto).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 4:28 AM, Miska said:

By the way, remember to check if there's firmware update available for the Cyan USB interface! IIRC, I updated mine when it became available.

Hi @Miska

Can you share your standard set of measurements for Cyan, especially after you updated to latest firmware ?

With DSD256 input.