IGNORED

Upgrade DAC or Implement MiniDSP Device

On 8/31/2020 at 9:35 PM, markf31 said:

My current system is streaming via Roon Rock - BlueSound Node 2i utilizing the internal dac - ModWright MWI SWL 9.0 AE pre amp - First Watt Aleph J clone power amp - Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers.

Im thinking of making an upgrade and my first instinct was to add an external DAC on the back end of the Node 2i, the Chord Qutest intrigues me. But I stumbled across the idea of implementing Dirac Live via a miniDSP DDRC-24.

Now I'm thinking that implementing the Dirac Live room correction into my system would realize greater sonic improvement and listening enjoyment, and at a far less price tag. I cant rationalize both components right now, so its an either or scenario for me. Am I wrong thinking  the room correction is the way to go right now?

If your budget is limited, there are modestly priced DACs that are excellent performers, better DACs than the one in the mini-DSP. Look at Schiit or Topping. Very good DACs in the $200-$700 range. The RME is also an excellent DAC. Using computer software for the room correction enables superior correction, as the computing power is much greater than what you have in the mini-DSP. REW is good. I've used Audiolense, which costs money, but is easy to use and works well. Once you have produced the convolution files, Roon will run the actual room correction in its DSP functions. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)