Wrong AC power supply setting selected on my DAC for 2 weeks - ok?

Hi all,

Bonehead move, but I accidentally had the AC power supply switch on my new Denafrips Ares II set to 230V for two weeks (I'm in the U.S.). Could this mistake have caused any damage to the DAC? 

Thanks for your input.

It depends.  This is really too technical of a question to answer without knowing some very specific details of the operating voltage points of the various circuits, the voltage regulators used, the dropout voltages of those regulators, and how those regulators respond when they are operating below their drop out voltage.  Best advice is to contact tech support at Denafrips and run the question by them.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Usually the other way around, set to 120V and apply 230V, it's not healthy. The DAC would work better on the stamped voltage on the rear, since all components are in spec. If there is a voltage selector switch, I wonder why there's no 2nd rating for the fuse at 120V, maybe in the manual somewhere?

A double wound transformer with a grounded secondary of 100VA would be plenty. Something like this transformer from Amazon is fine.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Low line voltage should never, ever damage an electronic unit.

The fact that it operated normally for two weeks with 50% line voltage, suggests that it has a SMPS (power supply). A SMPS doesn't much care what the line voltage is.

2 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Low line voltage should never, ever damage an electronic unit.

The fact that it operated normally for two weeks with 50% line voltage, suggests that it has a SMPS (power supply). A SMPS doesn't much care what the line voltage is.

There's a huge transformer in there, could be regulators on the DC side have a wide input voltage. From the photo of the interior, doesn't look like a choke and power transistors typical from an SMPS are there. Lots of caps and resistors though!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA