IGNORED

Audiophiles: Dead or Dying?

GUTB

25 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My impression is that passionate enthusiasm for the specialness of listening to recordings replay has moved to another part of the world, specifically, Asia.

https://www.vinyloftheday.com/japan-listening-bars-for-audiophiles/

https://mixmag.asia/read/take-a-look-at-hong-kongs-stunning-new-vinyl-only-library-and-listening-space-local

Oh to be able to visit Japan!

"Japan is well known for being the home to various listening bars and audiophile venues. Discovering music and listening to it in the most appropriate environment is embedded deeply within their culture."

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

22 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

There IS a law of diminishing returns, and spending much more than a few $K is starting to be very wasteful for MOST commercial recordings. 

Agreed!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

...now it is almost a quaint 'odd fellows' society of sorts.

good grief are there still some alive? :) !

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I don't think people have fundamentally changed, technology has.

I agree with most of what you say and of course every generation listens to music through different media except that I do think technology has and does change 'people'. My point was that the culture of sitting around listening to 2 speaker systems is over if not greatly reduced and this is because of how music (and culture in general) is consumed and the channels through which it is consumed today. You seem to think this isn't true - you may be right and maybe I just don't get out enough! :) but I certainly don't look back longing for any good old days - the good days are here or they are nowhere.

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

I don't think the potential number of Audiophiles has changed. It was always maybe 1 or 2% of the population. If you played your system to 100 of your daughters piers, one might appreciate it and seek to become an Audiophile. 

we need a rigorous double blind test on the numbers...

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Is this system listed below "a waste" and who is to say

No way! You are definitely one of those guys to get invited round to.

I think the point was that a system of a few K is more than enough for 'commercial' quality music. I presume with your ultra system you spend as much time and effort on the quality of the recordings too?

5 hours ago, Rexp said:

I don't think the potential number of Audiophiles has changed. It was always maybe 1 or 2% of the population. If you played your system to 100 of your daughters piers, one might appreciate it and seek to become an Audiophile. 

We will have to agree to differ on this. In my 20's I wouldn't have needed to look for the 1 in a hundred...

33 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I do believe that being an audiophile alone has little to do with wanting to talk about some of the audiophile subjects.  However, being an audiophile and interest in talking about it does enable some of the competency to discuss certain things.   The big problem is the good old syndrome that says that people sometimes don't understand the limits of their knowledge -- that is when there are sometimes arguments that are impossible to resolve.

22 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

The problem with that syndrome is that it always applies to somebody else😁

...in that case they would be audioheels :)