IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

Frank and Louis:

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

14 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Diana has had about 12 years of vocal/performance training.

Brief history. (Parts may be distressing to some.)

At age 3 some relatives found Diana roaming the street in eastern Russia. She had been kicked out of home by mom after attempting to drown her.  Mom is alcoholic with 11 abortions and one failed abortion—Diana. Nobody wanted Diana as it was assumed she was retarded. She was unable to speak much at all and spent much of her time crying. Investigation at the rescue home showed knife scars, cigarette burns and a broken collarbone. The masseuse at the home often brought her teenage daughter to work and the daughter said if mum didn't adopt Diana, as soon as she turned 18 she would.

After mum adopted her, Diana was sent to singing lessons to see if her speech could be improved and they discovered her talents. The family moved away from the east when Diana's mum, seeing that she was becoming famous, threatened to try and take Diana back.

Diana had won over 50 child competitions before appearing on the Russian talent show for disadvantaged/orphaned kids, You Are Super. She triumphed, winning 48% of the final vote between 8 finalists. Second place received 9%. The master of the show, Igor Krutoy, provided Diana and family with a residence in Moscow so she could continue her music training with the best teachers. The result is what you hear today. Diana was 17 on 31 May this year and is competing for entry to tertiary education at a prominent music and performance academy.

She has now had 3 or 4 songs written for her and has started arranging.

Poor baby! No doubt her life has turned around since those dark days and if I'm right she has a very rosy future as a pop artist (or whatever).

The music/vocal training and experience certainly does explain how she comes across so polished for a 17 year old which was otherwise a bit baffling to me. Someone is also doing some pretty nifty arrangements for her. Not taking away one little bit from her talent tho.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Yeah but for me there is more to a great singer than technical chops (not that I am implying that is your intention George). I think the basic requirement is to sing in tune but after that I go for tone and originality. It may be a bit different for opera singers but even then, there appears to be an endless amount of cookie-cutter voices or copycats in just about every genre.

That’s because in opera, the type of voice and singing is proscribed by the composer. There are certain things that must be done in a certain way. For example (and not opera related) would be a production of Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar” done in motorcycle outfits. That would be so jarringly wrong as to make the play meaningless. In some things there is just no room for that kind individual expressionism.

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

So while I have heard it argued many times that Bob Dylan was a terrible "singer" I think he has a great original voice. That said, I really don't listen much to his music. I think there are quite a few that fit into this category and especially in pop or rock. As soon I hear James Taylor's voice I instantly like it. I wouldn't call him a great singer by any stretch. It's about the tone, the mannerisms, the phrasing and all the little quirks that go into make his voice individual and make his personality and charisma shine through. If it becomes more relatable, more personal, it becomes more emotionally convincing for me. I go full circle and this is why I think Frank was so good because he had such a great charismatic one-off voice and was a great singer, technically and otherwise.

Oh we’re talking taste here now. I like some of Dylan’s songs such as “Tomorrow is a Long Time”. It’s a gorgeous song, but to me, not with Dylan singing it. However, with Ian and Sylvia singing it, it’s beautiful. I personally cannot stand to listen to Dylan and I never have. I recall a spoof of Dylan done by Mad Magazine back in the‘60’s In which a Dylan record was “reviewed”. The review mentioned that Dylan actually produces two musical notes; one on side A and another on side B. 🤪

George

8 hours ago, PYP said:

I think that is a common reaction, however, I seemed to remember that several singers, including Frank Sinatra, thought Louis could sing:  

"As early as 1924, Armstrong was summarily dismissed by bandleader Fletcher Henderson when he asked to sing on a record.

Henderson's disparaging comments were neither the first nor the last Armstrong would hear about his singing. Ironically, he soon became the central singer in jazz and pop history. His gritty tenor mirrored his trumpet style and influenced practically every singer in pop and jazz. Artists including Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, and Sarah Vaughan deeply admired Armstrong's singing and used his example to mold their own vocal styles."

On Ella and Louis, the juxtaposition of the fluid and the gritty delivery is just a wonderful stew.  I especially like when Ella imitates his singing.  You can "hear" them smiling at each other in appreciation of their respective talents.  

Well, technically, of course he was “singing“. And I enjoy him, but I wouldn’t want to hear him try “Nessun Dorma“.😉

George

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u2bigf337aU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope my embedding works.  First ever try!

Ellas's voice was close to perfect.  The pitch, tone, held notes, non-excessive vibrato (think Sarah Vaughan, though I also love her), just enough embellishment without the modern "vocal gymnastics"/technique for technique's sake that I hear.  Billie Holiday had the phrasing, oh my (like Frank!), but certainly not the voice.  In general, though, she knocks me out more.

I wish I could find the documentary on Louis' singing I saw years ago.  Historical context is important in this.  If you can think of non-classical singing before him in the 20's (wish I could demonstrate), you could see.  What he started was completely unique, just like his trumpet playing, and influences everything we have heard in non-classical since.

Sinatra called Tony Bennett the greatest singer.  I'll take Sinatra.

Rock:  Layne Staley!

:)

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

George- wonderful reference to "Old Man River."  My favorite version:

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

6 minutes ago, botrytis said:

People forget Bing Crosby. The man had the most amazing baritone as well as business acumen. He started Ampex and recording on tape. He brought Tequila to the US (Jose Cuervo) and he sang in almost every genre out there. You could say, he was the first multimedia star - radio, television, movies, music.

https://www.grunge.com/215525/the-tragic-real-life-story-of-bing-crosby/

Yet.. he had a lot of trouble holding & hitting notes. I was blown away by watching David Bowie blow him away singing "Little Drummer Boy" at that Christmas special. 

But, - it's always hard for me to detach singer/songwriter from singer. I don't take any "singer" seriously that doesn't write their own songs. That's probably not good as the definition of singer as something other than songwriter. For example, I would never, ever, consider Bing Crosby in the same "league" as David Bowie or Roy Orbison. 

Frank Sinatra completely SUCKS when you compare him to Bono of U2. U2's worst 10 minutes of rock pretentiousness & self-indulgence is still worlds better than a "crooner."

6 hours ago, botrytis said:

People forget Bing Crosby. The man had the most amazing baritone as well as business acumen. He started Ampex and recording on tape. He brought Tequila to the US (Jose Cuervo) and he sang in almost every genre out there. You could say, he was the first multimedia star - radio, television, movies, music.

https://www.grunge.com/215525/the-tragic-real-life-story-of-bing-crosby/

As much as I can enjoy Bing Crosby singing and he does have a unique voice, for me personally, he wouldn't make my top 10 list. I heard rumours that he was not such a nice fellow but I am not necessarily believing them. He may have just been a complex individual. Where I absolutely adore him is in the road movies with Bob Hope. I think their chemistry and comedic timing is just sheer genius. I even like the singing! I freely admit that there is probably a larger dollop of nostalgia in that assessment. I remember as a boy doing a 'Ferris Bueller' on my parents and staying home watching Bob Hope and Bing Crosby get up to shenanigans on the road to some new exotic location!

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 8/26/2020 at 7:46 AM, JoeWhip said:

Come on guys, everyone in the know knows who the best singer is! 😎

Is is true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 8/27/2020 at 12:46 AM, JoeWhip said:

Come on guys, everyone in the know knows who the best singer is! 😎

Ah, of course this is your son. Sorry, when I first read this I thought it was a joke, that you were trying to make out you were a young good-looking talented singer that just happened to have a similar name. I am even more stupid because you happened to mention your son in a PM to me. Anyway, congratulations and my apologies for the oversight

Sound Minds Mind Sound