IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Here is one with some high notes. This girl has a God-given gift. It certainly may not be everyone's cup of tea but at age 17 I think she is outstanding and cannot wait to see were she develops "as an artist" when she either writes or is given her own music.

(take on me)

extraordinary talent and so well-developed at 17.  Look at how she moves to and from the microphone for maximum effect.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

11 minutes ago, PYP said:

extraordinary talent and so well-developed at 17.  Look at how she moves to and from the microphone for maximum effect.  

Yes in my opinion spot on. Apart from the fact that she never screams (she has no need to) the microphone technique seems to be a lost art where the vocalist would for example just back off a little bit physically from the microphone when hitting big notes. Frank was a master but these days you tend to see people moving in to the microphone when they hit "big" notes which over drives things into clipping, or at least that's what it sounds like. Where she learnt this I don't know, it appears to be intuitive.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Here is one with some high notes. This girl has a God-given gift. It certainly may not be everyone's cup of tea but at age 17 I think she is outstanding and cannot wait to see were she develops "as an artist" when she either writes or is given her own music.

(take on me)

I may end up in the minority here but what I hear when I listen to her is a ton of processing (auto tune perhaps???) to the point where I am not sure what her voice actually sounds like.

No electron left behind.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:01 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

What's your vote for the best singer or vocalist of all time, and why? One male, one female.

It could be from any time or any genre. Doesn't have to be an audiophile quality recording.

Gee, that’s difficult. For a male singer, Frank Sinatra comes to mind, but so does Bing Crosby. For a female singer, It’s even more difficult. I’ve always thought that Joan Baez was great, but then so was Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Dinah Washington, Sylvia Tyson, Shirley Bassey, etc.
Of course, this is for pop singers. For opera, it’s Pavoratti, and probably Anna Netrebko.

George

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I may end up in the minority here but what I hear when I listen to her is a ton of processing (auto tune perhaps???) to the point where I am not sure what her voice actually sounds like.

There are several Youtube videos across a range of venues including the singing contest in Russia and various guest appearances. I doubt if they could all be auto tuned processed but certainly the ones recorded in what looks like her home could be.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

17 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

There are several Youtube videos across a range of venues including the singing contest in Russia and various guest appearances. I doubt if they could all be auto tuned processed but certainly the ones recorded in what looks like her home could be.

I listened to 5 videos or so of her and they all were self recorded and had the same processed sound.

No electron left behind.

It's all cool on this thread but let's get real, guys 9_9.  

As for the 'Best of..' kind of threads - I did say it once..

..but it seems I have to say it again - these are all your subjective, personal opinions!

The best singer of all time has to be objectively the best!!! 

And the only factor which can be objectively measured in case of vocalist skills,

I think everyone here will agree, is - vocal range!

Let me announce, and introduce to those who haven't heard of of her - Yma Sumac,

the best singer of all time!!! 

Wiki:

Vocal range[edit]

Sumac had a wide vocal register; she could emit notes from above a coloratura soprano to the low notes of a bass and had one of the widest vocal ranges. She was able to emit notes from the tessitura of sopranino, soprano, mezzo-soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone and bass, and was the only person able to do the triple coloratura or the trill of the birds. Her singing voice ranged from ti1 to re7.

One source claims that in the song "K'arawi", she reached a Re8 (00:26). This would extend her vocal range to almost 6 octaves.[21]

In the song "Chuncho" she sang from a ti1 (at minute 0:40) to a Re7 (at minute 2:56).[22]

In this live she performs a duet with the flute reaching an E6

Huh.?

:D

On 8/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, GregWormald said:

I've seen/heard some Morgan James and she's good but she's not "my cup of tea".

OK, with the recommendations I decided to listen further—I'd heard her on Postmodern Jukebox, and everybody should have a chance to show on their own song choices.

Ella Fitzgerald for example, blows me away on some of her tracks, but she was apparently 'forced' to sing everything they put in front of her.

20 hours ago, PYP said:

This reminds me of one of the greatest duets:  Ella (Fitzgerald) and Louis (Armstrong).  

Well, Louis Armstrong did have a unique voice all right. Not sure what he did was considered “singing“, though. OTOH, it was fun to listen to him.

George

42 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well, Louis Armstrong did have a unique voice all right. Not sure what he did was considered “singing“, though. OTOH, it was fun to listen to him.

Yeah but for me there is more to a great singer than technical chops (not that I am implying that is your intention George). I think the basic requirement is to sing in tune but after that I go for tone and originality. It may be a bit different for opera singers but even then, there appears to be an endless amount of cookie-cutter voices or copycats in just about every genre.

So while I have heard it argued many times that Bob Dylan was a terrible "singer" I think he has a great original voice. That said, I really don't listen much to his music. I think there are quite a few that fit into this category and especially in pop or rock. As soon I hear James Taylor's voice I instantly like it. I wouldn't call him a great singer by any stretch. It's about the tone, the mannerisms, the phrasing and all the little quirks that go into make his voice individual and make his personality and charisma shine through. If it becomes more relatable, more personal, it becomes more emotionally convincing for me. I go full circle and this is why I think Frank was so good because he had such a great charismatic one-off voice and was a great singer, technically and otherwise.

Sound Minds Mind Sound