IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

9 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Voices are important, but rhythm, use of the voice, and delivery of the emotional content of the music are more important to me. I want to feel connected to the artists' intent, whether it is sad, happy, or ...

So many singers with excellent voices seem to have almost no emotional resonance to the song—all songs are sung with the same techniques, tone, etc.; and when they do sing challenging areas they can try too hard and some notes become 'hard' and even harsh.

At the moment I'm following the performances of Diana Ankudinova with chills and goosebumps often.

Agree completely. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

54 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Voices are important, but rhythm, use of the voice, and delivery of the emotional content of the music are more important to me. I want to feel connected to the artists' intent, whether it is sad, happy, or ...

So many singers with excellent voices seem to have almost no emotional resonance to the song—all songs are sung with the same techniques, tone, etc.; and when they do sing challenging areas they can try too hard and some notes become 'hard' and even harsh.

Totally agree! But all those things can be incorporated into one's vote for best singer. So, it's not just about technique or things like a gifted range. On the other hand, I would say for me that there is a minimum requirement for what should be considered a good singer and I think that should include being able to sing in key. I'm not talking about the occasional bum note or at times losing it with emotion. There was a year on American Idol that I swear the top 10 could not sing in tune. I thought it was something of a feat that the judges were able to identify these individuals among tens of thousands of people that could hold a note😂. As cynical as that sounds I remember laughing out loud when David Letterman quipped on his Tonight Show something like "is it just me, or can none of the final contestants sing in tune"

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, GregWormald said:

At the moment I'm following the performances of Diana Ankudinova with chills and goosebumps often.

Greg, if thats the case you REALLY should check out Morgan James.

No electron left behind.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, audiobomber said:

Johnny Hartman makes Frank Sinatra look like a pretender.

For pop vocalist, Whitney Houston had the greatest voice, but horrible taste in music. 

Thanks for pointing to him! I was completely unaware of the man - as you say, a truly remarkable voice ...

On 8/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

My vote is probably Frank Sinatra and Shirley Bassey.

Like many others it's impossible to know for sure. I don't particularly listen to either one very much. I think both of them had incredible voices and incredible tone. They were both masters of their craft (whether you liked it or not). Both have impeccable timing and phrasing. Both are very popular and had commercial success. And importantly both are one-off originals and in terms of at least Frank Sinatra many have tried to copy. Shirley Bassey has one other distinction. She is singularly the only female singer with enough power in her voice to "belt" that it doesn't sound like a" belt" (maybe Judy Garland came close), or even worse sound like a  strangled cat. A provocative comment I know and others will disagree

A modern version of Frank Sinatra showed up in The Voice Holland—Dennis van Aarssen. I won't nominate him as the best of all time, but he is very engaging, smooth, and on pitch.

For me, what was special about Frank was the rhythm and timing, which was still evident even after his voice was almost completely gone. 

I heard Shirley fairly recently and the voice I loved is pretty limited now.🙁Thank goodness her records still shine.

8 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Diana Ankudinova, shades of Cher but unique. Only 17

I see similarities:

- Cher was 19 when I Got You Babe hit #1

- Both are pretty

- Restricted vocal range, no high notes

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

11 hours ago, GregWormald said:

what was special about Frank was the rhythm and timing, which was still evident even after his voice was almost completely gone. 

Yeah rhythm timing and phrasing. Absolutely, he was a master and I dare say while it can be honed it can't be learnt.

His tone was also very special and probably that's what attracts me initially to any singer. Something about the timbre in their voice or tone colour and an originality that is not copying someone else. For example, Adele seemed to spawn a whole lot of vocalists emulating her style and quirky little vocal mannerisms. Michael Buble is listenable and as nice as he appears to be, he vocally appears to sound like an amalgamation of all the crooners. He freely admits to mimicking all the greats when he was developing his craft. It is probably a bit unfair but I would rather listen to Frank or Mel Torme or Perry Como or Andy Williams or Johnny Mathis..... Rather than a synthesised version of all of them

Sound Minds Mind Sound

11 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I see similarities:

- Cher was 19 when I Got You Babe hit #1

- Both are pretty

- Restricted vocal range, no high notes

I was thinking more of tone. There are not a lot of females that have that particular style of deeper voice like Cher.

Diana does indeed have high notes in her range. I saw this on one or two of her videos where she goes way up into her head voice.

Sound Minds Mind Sound