IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

Fix It Again Tony.   (Apologies if this has been already posted).

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Okay, I have to show off my Picasso with all your guys talk about him.  I apologize in advance if this offends anyone BUT it is modern art by a true master!  I am sure Chris will remove if this is too off topic.

IMG_6195.JPG

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

On 9/1/2020 at 7:24 PM, sphinxsix said:

In case of this more contemporary one a rear spoiler was IMO an optical must, after adding it the car looked pretty cool, [...]

e201cfb04697a6bf381a1cfd3789be8d.jpg

:x So does it have color matched underwear to look cool from below as well?

P0230618.jpg.7599ab4b4a602e8a15c49b6dd4e232c4.jpg

And it handled (and sounded) really good :)

What does the spoiler do to improve handling?

I do really like Picasso, even if some of his art disturbs me. That is the point abut art, it is to elicit emotion. You do not have to like it.

One of my favorite locals, was Tunis Ponsen. He was a teacher and artist. He was prolific an painted all around NE Illinois and Michigan. My wife and I have in storage one of his still life paintings. When we move, I hope to put it up to enjoy it again. That is what art is about - ENJOYMENT or really any reaction.

Speaking of reaction, my wife and I saw saw this group, a long time ago - Tuxedomoon. It was a unique show....

Some of the people moved onto this group, Nine Rain.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 hours ago, photonman said:

Okay, I have to show off my Picasso with all your guys talk about him.  I apologize in advance if this offends anyone BUT it is modern art by a true master!  I am sure Chris will remove if this is too off topic.

IMG_6195.JPG

Why would this offend anyone?  Long ago, I've witnessed something similar on the New York City subway at 4 in the morning.  Of course, returning home from a concert, I can't say that there weren't a few free radicals in my bloodstream.  

All joking aside, it is interesting to consider whether an artist who could not draw with the realistic skill of Picasso (when he was into that), could have produced this.  This isn't conceptual art (only).  But I see that the provocateur  @sphinxsix has started a separate thread for these musings.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I know for sure who is not the "Best Singer Of All Time". I just listened to It Had To Be You... The Great American Song Book, by Rod Stewart. OMG, talk about awful! I knew Rod was not very talented but he's had his moments. These old standards however, make his voice sound bad, really, really bad.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Just saw this thread - so I will answer to the Origin Post.

Cannot limit myself to one female and one male - the human voice is too rich for that

1.- Birgit Nilsson

2.- Christa Ludwig 

3.- Kathleen Ferrier

4.- Franco Corelli

5.- Herman Prey/Hans Hotter (tie)

6.- Gottlob Frick/Hans Hotter/Nicolai Ghiaurov (tie)

v

16 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I know for sure who is not the "Best Singer Of All Time". I just listened to It Had To Be You... The Great American Song Book, by Rod Stewart. OMG, talk about awful! I knew Rod was not very talented but he's had his moments. These old standards however, make his voice sound bad, really, really bad.

I have not listened to The Great American Song Book by Rod Stewart as I tend to avoid such collections by pop/rock artists. But I strongly disagree that Rod Stewart is "not very talented". IMO, Every Picture Tells a Story is an all-time classic and he has put out a number of other very good albums during his lengthy career. To each his own.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 hours ago, Allan F said:

I have not listened to The Great American Song Book by Rod Stewart as I tend to avoid such collections by pop/rock artists. But I strongly disagree that Rod Stewart is "not very talented". IMO, Every Picture Tells a Story is an all-time classic and he has put out a number of other very good albums during his lengthy career. To each his own.

As I said, Rod Stewart has had his moments. I love Atlantic Crossing, but mostly Rod covers material by other, more talented artists, especially Tom Waits. The originals are mostly better. 

American Songbook really exposes his vocal shortcomings. He's an amazingly talented marketer with great taste in music.

If you want to hear good interpretations of American classics by pop artists, try Moonlight Serenade by Carly SImon and But Beautiful by Boz Scaggs.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

On 9/3/2020 at 10:54 AM, sphinxsix said:

Moi, le provocateur.? Je ne sais pas...9_9

Back on topic. Like I already said - the best female vocalist of all time - Yma Sumac.

The best male vocalist - no doubt about it - Mike Patton B|

Speaking of Yma Sumac, are you aware that her real name was Amy Camus and she wasn’t an Inca from Peru, but a Jewish girl from Brooklyn NY with a great coloratura soprano voice. 

I’ve an amusing story about her. About 20 years ago, I was sitting in a local nightclub in Palo Alto CA, recording a local jazz quartet. Between sets, the musicians spoke among themselves. One musician asked another: “What have you been up to lately?” The other responded, “I was recently in a band backing Yma Sumac”. The first asked, “How was she?”

The second responded “Old, and fat, and mean!”

True story!

George

I keep forgetting James Dewar from Robin Trower's band (after he left Procol Harem) - great voice.

Newer singer was Davey Pattison - who sang with Ronnie Montros'e Gamma.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Yeah, it’s a terrible movie!🥴

Pacino has become a cartoon caricature of himself. Hooah!

15 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Pacino has become a cartoon caricature of himself. Hooah!

You are absolutely correct. The only movies that I liked Pacino in were the three “Godfather” movies. After that, he became less and less interesting to me as an actor, and now, as you say, he’s become a caricature of himself.

George