IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

It's all cool on this thread but let's get real, guys 9_9.  

As for the 'Best of..' kind of threads - I did say it once..

..but it seems I have to say it again - these are all your subjective, personal opinions!

The best singer of all time has to be objectively the best!!! 

And the only factor which can be objectively measured in case of vocalist skills,

I think everyone here will agree, is - vocal range!

Let me announce, and introduce to those who haven't heard of of her - Yma Sumac,

the best singer of all time!!! 

Wiki:

Vocal range[edit]

Sumac had a wide vocal register; she could emit notes from above a coloratura soprano to the low notes of a bass and had one of the widest vocal ranges. She was able to emit notes from the tessitura of sopranino, soprano, mezzo-soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone and bass, and was the only person able to do the triple coloratura or the trill of the birds. Her singing voice ranged from ti1 to re7.

One source claims that in the song "K'arawi", she reached a Re8 (00:26). This would extend her vocal range to almost 6 octaves.[21]

In the song "Chuncho" she sang from a ti1 (at minute 0:40) to a Re7 (at minute 2:56).[22]

In this live she performs a duet with the flute reaching an E6

Huh.?

:D

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must disagree. Someone’s opinion that Mozart is better than Britney is fine, but there’s no such thing as objectively better in art. 

Yes, there is. As a person who studied art history I can assure you, Chris that there are criteria of 'objectively better' in art and I'm sure that can apply to music as well although I am not formally educated in this field. Probably someone here is..

Anyway comparing Mozart and Britney IMO is a little like comparing Space Shuttle Columbia and the basic model of let's say Fiat..

I apologize upfront to all Britney fans but a cheap Fiat isn't necessarily such a bad thing (although as for Fiats I only used to have Fiat Coupe turbo and BTW have great memories of this car).. 9_9

16 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

What are the objective criteria for art or music appreciation?

Let me stress I am not against the idea, I am just intrigued by the notion. I can think of arguments both ways but it sounds like you guys have more experience in the area so I would genuinely like to hear what you think. There are wider ramifications which might apply but again I stress there is no trap in this question. I genuinely am interested in the answer.

There are many. E.g. some think of Picasso as of the one of the greatest modern painters but in some regards Braque (not nearly as popular as Picasso) let's say 'proceeded' Picasso ideas or in other words - Picasso copied Braque's ideas (this is not a place to go into details but I guess one could Google it quite easily). Being the first one to use or more correctly to create a particular idea in art is one of such criteria but only one of them. I can't suggest you any particular books on this subject (it's been years since..) but it also should be quite easily 'googleable'..

This could be easily translatable to the music field - if e.g. the Rolling Stones copied some black rhythm and blues music ideas in particular in their early days - at least in this regard the original black artists are 'objectively better'.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s illustrative of my point though.

If you can judge art, which painting by Rembrandt is best?

Ha, ha.. Haven't you ever answered a question about the best Pearl Jam album.? 

It's definitely possible to say that some paintings by Rembrandt (it's actually quite personal for me - I live 500m from the house where he was born..) are better than others or better than e.g. some paintings by Frans Hals or by some other artists of the period. As for an attempt of comparing him with eg Picasso - it obviously makes very limited sense.. 

As for history of art - there are quite many tools of analysis of an 'art form' used to evaluate a particular painting or a particular painter. One more example - which artist of a given period did master chiaroscuro better. I'm sure there are similar tools in the field of history of music, there simply have to be.. But like I said - I'm not formally educated in this field.

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You guys kill me. Judging art is the most preposterous thing. 

I saw Britney Spears in concert. Extremely entertaining. She was far better than Mozart. Prove me wrong. 

Yeah.. comparing them IMO also makes limited sense, especially taking into account the depth of her masterpieces like:

In comparison to vulgar and boring Mozart pieces like e.g..

But I have a question, Chris - is she better than Pearl Jam.?  9_9

Or Bjork.? (probably closer musically to her)

I'm sorry but for me personally she's like a cheap Fiat.. B|

Of course - the world needs cheap Fiats and probably some really love them!

They're just not for me. 

And no-one will convince me of their importance in the car history (except from the commercial dimension)..

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d take that Britney song over anything from Mozart any day. Heck, Mozart couldn’t even sing!  At least Britney could sing with studio help. More than Mozart can say. 

Britney more entertaining than Mozart, you gotta be kidding, Chris x-D

IMO without Amadeus there would be no e.g. some of Hendrix guitar tricks!

35 minutes ago, Mayfair said:

Without commenting on the musical tastes and choices of others (chacun son goût), I will only note that Mozart died in 1791. There aren't many people who are remembered for over two centuries, let alone composers whose work is still widely recorded by contemporary artists who think they can find and add something new.  

I agree. Somehow I tend to think that even the greatest today BS fans will not remember her in 200 years from now..  ;)

BTW frankly, I think 'Ooops..' is a very catchy sing and I quite like it, just like I like pieces I mentioned on 'Bizarre Music..' thread.

I also think everyone has a constitutional right to like songs like this one. Music and art evaluation is IMO at least to the same degree subjective as objective after all..

:)

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Mozart may be great to some, but I don’t want ministers of information deciding what art is the best. It’s preposterous. 

I agree in 100%, like I said we all have a constitutional right to like what we like.

8 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I'm not an expert in anything but psychotherapy.

Subjectively or objectively, Greg.? ;)

'Our childhood experiences influence our adult life' - not true, true and if so subjectively or objectively..? B|

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You guys kill me. Judging art is the most preposterous thing. 

If it wasn't for 'judging art', every book about e.g. Dutch baroque painting would have to include thousands of names..  

Often quite difficult to pronounce :).. 

Same with music. 

We just don't have that much time for reading, do we :)

8 hours ago, GregWormald said:

The words "objective" and "better/worse" always lead me to ask "What are the criteria and who gets to set them?"

I wouldn't let clients use those words without full specifications being provided.😄

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must disagree. Someone’s opinion that Mozart is better than Britney is fine, but there’s no such thing as objectively better in art. 

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Yes, there is. As a person who studied art history I can assure you, Chris that there are criteria of 'objectively better' in art and I'm sure that can apply to music as well although I am not formally educated in this field. Probably someone here is..

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

As for history of art - there are quite many tools of analysis of an 'art form' used to evaluate a particular painting or a particular painter. One more example - which artist of a given period did master chiaroscuro better. I'm sure there are similar tools in the field of history of music, there simply have to be.. But like I said - I'm not formally educated in this field...

... but I actually don't think I have to be to compare e.g. 'Ooops' with 'Requiem'. In this case one could IMO start with the very basic elements of the music structure of a given composition which are harmonic and rhythmic complexity. Is there someone here who would quarrel that 'Ooops' is more sophisticated and complex in this regard of the two.? :)

Let me ask the same questions as far as the lyrics of both pieces are regarded... 

BTW I understand very well people who don't like classical music, still 5-6 years ago I thought of it as of in most cases utterly boring. Now classical is for me the main source of excitement in my musicophile life  but it doesn't have to be to everyone, that would be quite a totalitarian attitude. I actually tend to also think of people who interested only in classical music as of the ones who loose some very important (for me!) things in their music life too..

And I'll repeat once again - I quite like 'Ooops'..

Really :)

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which is better? Both paintings and both pointillism.

Frank.jpg sunday.jpg

I choose Seurat (bottom, most likely much higher price of the two) and also choose to sell it immediately cause I'm not a huge fan of his art. BTW IMO the pointillism of the upper one is a little suspicious..

The Earth has 7.5 billion people. The percentage that think Rembrandt and Hendrix are good, is probably tiny.

Ok, do you think that the percentage of the ones who think they were bad artists is higher.?

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That said, humans of certain cultures or ancestral origins tend to like those artists.

I know an art historian who lives here in Leiden, NL who was born in Japan and is mainly fascinated with late 19th centurey Western art, I OTOH have always been fascinated be art of Japan and China :)

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I also don't see how you can judge someone on something that he didn't know he would be judged at the time he created the art. 

E.g.?

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Should art then be judged blindly :~)

At the same time he had an amazing imagination and technique! 

BTW I used to live almost next to the house of his ex muse - Amanda Lear in St Remy - the village I mentioned earlier.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Judging a Rembrandt on the use of materials is crazy. He used what he wanted, not what some judge a few hundred years later would think is best. If he was going for top rating he may have used something different.

You didn't answer any of my questions :)

I'm going to smoke a cigarette (outside) now so you have some time though.. ;)

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure. 

I would say I'd be ready to bet my money on my answer to this question.

This was my Rembrandt example. He painted and had no clue what the criteria for judgement would be a few hundred years later.

I think I have already replied to it in my previous post.