IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

Can't answer that, but will answer "which singers affect you the most?" (sorry).  Women:  Lizz Wright, Ane Brun, Karrin Allyson, Magos Herrera,  (among many, many others).   Men:  Gregory Porter, Johnny Hartman, Milton Nascimento,  (among others).

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Here is one with some high notes. This girl has a God-given gift. It certainly may not be everyone's cup of tea but at age 17 I think she is outstanding and cannot wait to see were she develops "as an artist" when she either writes or is given her own music.

(take on me)

extraordinary talent and so well-developed at 17.  Look at how she moves to and from the microphone for maximum effect.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Frank and Louis:

On 8/26/2020 at 7:46 AM, JoeWhip said:

Come on guys, everyone in the know knows who the best singer is! 😎

Is is true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?  

let's add:  Cesária Évora.  Hauntingly beautiful and natural voice.  

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which is better? Both paintings and both pointillism.

Frank.jpg sunday.jpg

the second.  I never gave permission for my portrait!

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

IMO, Picasso's work was a joke perpetrated on the art world. They still haven't gotten it, but in the future I believe it will be revealed as a hoax. 😶

Do you mean the stuff that followed his more "realistic art" (that is, primitivism and then cubism)?  

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have always thought that Picasso was a bit of a charlatan. I’ve often wondered if his work wasn’t a joke perpetrated on the art world on purpose by him. Of course we can but wonder. Because there’s no way to know.

One of his sculptures in particular made me wonder if he was "messing about" since it used stuff he found laying around and turned that into "art."  But, I had an uncle who did the same thing in later life (his second career) and he wasn't trying to perpetrate anything -- he didn't really care about anyone's reaction, just how it made him feel to express himself.  He knew if it meant something to him, it would mean something to someone else, even only one person.  Was he an artist?  I don't know what the best definition is, but I do know that I was deeply affected by some of my uncle's pieces.  My uncle made seemingly simple stuff, but he wasn't a simple man.

I do think Picasso was a bit of s showman.  In the art world, the artist's personal story is important too.  

13 hours ago, photonman said:

Okay, I have to show off my Picasso with all your guys talk about him.  I apologize in advance if this offends anyone BUT it is modern art by a true master!  I am sure Chris will remove if this is too off topic.

IMG_6195.JPG

Why would this offend anyone?  Long ago, I've witnessed something similar on the New York City subway at 4 in the morning.  Of course, returning home from a concert, I can't say that there weren't a few free radicals in my bloodstream.  

All joking aside, it is interesting to consider whether an artist who could not draw with the realistic skill of Picasso (when he was into that), could have produced this.  This isn't conceptual art (only).  But I see that the provocateur  @sphinxsix has started a separate thread for these musings.