IGNORED

Best Singer of All Time is...

On 8/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

My vote is probably Frank Sinatra and Shirley Bassey.

Like many others it's impossible to know for sure. I don't particularly listen to either one very much. I think both of them had incredible voices and incredible tone. They were both masters of their craft (whether you liked it or not). Both have impeccable timing and phrasing. Both are very popular and had commercial success. And importantly both are one-off originals and in terms of at least Frank Sinatra many have tried to copy. Shirley Bassey has one other distinction. She is singularly the only female singer with enough power in her voice to "belt" that it doesn't sound like a" belt" (maybe Judy Garland came close), or even worse sound like a  strangled cat. A provocative comment I know and others will disagree

A modern version of Frank Sinatra showed up in The Voice Holland—Dennis van Aarssen. I won't nominate him as the best of all time, but he is very engaging, smooth, and on pitch.

For me, what was special about Frank was the rhythm and timing, which was still evident even after his voice was almost completely gone. 

I heard Shirley fairly recently and the voice I loved is pretty limited now.🙁Thank goodness her records still shine.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, GregWormald said:

I've seen/heard some Morgan James and she's good but she's not "my cup of tea".

OK, with the recommendations I decided to listen further—I'd heard her on Postmodern Jukebox, and everybody should have a chance to show on their own song choices.

Ella Fitzgerald for example, blows me away on some of her tracks, but she was apparently 'forced' to sing everything they put in front of her.

11 hours ago, gmgraves said:

(Does anyone here remember Minnie Ripperton, a true coloratura soprano?).

Yes, yes, yes.

I was at the Rock Pile in Toronto to see Rotary Connection and she walked out of the dressing room and touched me on the way to stage—where she proceeded to blow me away. 

As well as the voice I remember her afro, it was fully round and extended beyond her shoulders. A memorable night. Thanks for the reminder.😀

She was gone way too young.☹️

off-topic—

On 9/1/2020 at 8:52 AM, sphinxsix said:

@GregWormald have you ever worked with audiophile patients e.g. via Zoom.? How much would that eventually cost.? Does desktop speakers quality matter in such situation.? ;)

😆

but IMO sort of deserves a serious answer. No acknowledged audiophiles via Zoom, no.

My remote sessions were the same as face-to-face, $100/hour before I retired.

Speaker quality had some relevance, as did video quality, otherwise the non-verbal subtleties got lost.

I did work with a fair number of artists though. It's amazing how many had 'traumatic' histories and it was always challenging to find ways of "improving their world" without destroying their creativity.