IGNORED

So many options so little answers

Bliman

Question

Hi all,

This place is recommended to me by someone on youtube.

First a little background. My system consists of a lyngdorf sda 2175 power amplifier, a nad c542 cd player, an rme adi-2 dac/pre, Dynaudio 52 Se speakers and a  q acoustics 2070s subwoofer.

I am getting less and less room for storing my cd's.

This is what I want : I want to store all my music and play them with a streamer or server or something like that (it is all so confusing). In the future I will also likely want to play Tidal.

I want to replace my cd player so it has to be very very good quality. And my budget is around 1000 €/$.

I have seen so many things that I just don't know it anymore.

I have heard about a nuc, raspberry pi, Innuos Zen mini, Cambridge Audio CXV(V2), etc...

So I have a very good dac with the RME, and I can rip cd's on my computer with dB Poweramp.

Now the question is what do you guys recommend for me?

I have seen many glowing reviews for the Innuos , but I don't think I  really need the feature of ripping because it can be done with the computer.

I also read that the Innuos is very good because it has a very good power supply.

I am looking for something that is some sort of giant killer or that is very very good price/quality.

My audio dealer said to go for the Cambridge Audio, but I rather not because I was not convinced by one of their products and it has a dac which I don't need.

So I would need some help here.

31 minutes ago, bluesman said:

A Neo is great - but it has no WiFi so you must use Ethernet with it. It gives you many options for player software, and it’d be worth the cost to me if I wanted what it offers.  But for SQ, a well done Pi is so close that it’s my choice. FWIW, I have 7 of them in different systems, for listening, ripping, live recording, and experimenting. $55 USD vs $450 is not a hard choice for me.

If you don’t use a NAS, your drives have to be accessible somehow. I don’t think you can connect them directly to a Neo.

As per my previous post and link, the sms-200 Neo does allow wi-fi with an inexpensive dongle mounted, and will act as a server for a directly connected USB drive (Minimserver is included in the software).

I found quite a difference in sound quality when I had to temporarily use my Raspberry Pi 3B+ instead of the sms-200 in my main system.

Using an iPower SMPS with the Neo was a sonic improvement over the stock PSU. A regulated LPS provided a substantial improvement over the iPower. The Raspberry showed no improvement when I substituted the iPower for the stock PSU. I did not try the linear power supply (wrong voltage).

The RPi is a great device if saving $ is a main goal. With $1000 budget, the Neo and a hard drive or NAS would be my choice.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

I can't say why Roon cost so much in your location but I can only speculate that someone is trying to get paid with a markup that high. Seems odd that if you goto the Roon website and download the program and then decide to buy it from the same website why the price would be $600 plus in the checkout cart. Wonder what would happen if you connected to Checkout Cart site using TOR Browser 🙂

Anyway, In the states its like $120 US per year for Roon so price isn't really a concern for most people in that case.

There are probably a million different options in terms of software to use to play back music from a computer. Quite a few are even Free and work well. But with that said, ones options shrink by a lot in terms,of choices if your not willing or able to setup a computer of your choosing to use as a host for the software of your choice.

A few years back I was happily using a tiny little ALIX computer to act as my music server which ran MPD Linux. The hardware included a whopping 500MHz Geode processor and and even more staggering 256MB of RAM. It worked flawlessly. The software was free the hardware cost about $200. It worked great and wasn't too horrible to setup in my spare time.

So whats my point? You've already got a computer and even if its not blazzing fast I suspect its far faster than my previously mentioned ALIX board computer was. If you are willing to have an Ethernet port dropped into your listening room you can choose to buy one of the many network end points already mentioned for well within the budget you listed and call it a day using your existing pc. Then you can gradually advance from there.

This doesn't need to be difficult at all. There are plenty of inexpensive or even free options you can use to get your feet wet..so to speak. Again it all depends on if your willing/able to roll your own or if your married the idea of buying an off the shelf, plug and play unit. If thats the case your going to need to spend more money to get there to end up with something that betters the roll your own approach.

Roon is $120/year or $700 for a lifetime sub. No difference in sound with Roon, just a unique way to catalog both local and streaming in one place and discover new music. If that doesn't matter to you, then don't bother. For me, it was a revelation on the music, not the gear side (and of course most revelations come with their bumps in the road). I also love the ability to play and control to various devices throughout the house. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 minutes ago, Bliman said:

This is so complicated it hurts. Why is it all so difficult?

You may be making it more difficult than it needs to be for you. There is no perfect solution - compromise is the key to happiness. Finding a good solution for you means knowing what you want and need from it.  Make a list of the facts and functions that are important to you, prioritize them from highest to lowest, and start trialing software to get an idea of which ones offer the most of what you want.  Also know what you absolutely don't want, so you don't accidentally end up with something you dislike.

For example, do you want to be able to grow into multichannel or is 2 channel your only goal?  Do you want to be able to listen to DSD files? Do you want to be able to stream your own files to your mobile device over the internet?  Will you apply DSP of any kind?  Are you planning to rip your CDs or switch to a streaming service?  If you plan to rip and listen to your own CDs, how many do you have and do you expect to add many more?  Do you want a plug-and-play system that requires no input from you other than choosing your music and clicking play, or are you willing and able to configure and optimize it yourself? Etc etc etc.

Once again, you can download and try almost every available music management system, from simple players to those that manage your library, tag your files, present more information and artwork for each tune than you'll ever want, etc.  Why not start by downloading a trial of JRiver to your PC or laptop, just to get the feel of it?  Try Foobar2000 if you're willing to do a little configuration and your PC is running Windows.  Then try VLC and a few others.  Once you start going "I don't like that" or "I really love that" about a feature, you'll be better able to decide what you want and which programs provide it.

Sound quality is fine at the very least from all of the software you'll try (Caution!  Flames may be approaching!). I'd pick the software first.  Once you find what you like at a cost you're willing to pay (and a lot of very fine players are open source and free except for voluntary donations to the team that made and support it), you can pick a platform that meets your needs for space, cost, functionality, etc.  The Neo is a wonderful little piece that lets you choose from among several software players. A Raspberry Pi4, a NUC, and many other boxes you'll read about here and on other audio forums would also do the job for you.  You can run media servers on a variety of NASs and play to a Neo, a Pi, or another endpoint of your choice. 

I assume from the fact that it's not an iPhone that your phone is an Android, in which case you have multiple control and streaming options for it.  You can control JRiver through its built-in web GUI using a web browser on any mobile device - almost all of the players are web accessible for control.

You've put far more effort and angst into this than seems necessary to me.  Just start simple and see what you like.  A NAS running a media server and a simple endpoint like a Neo or a Raspberry Pi would be an excellent solution for most of us.  Running a media server on your PC is also a fine solution.  And if you start with inexpensive hardware additions plus inexpensive or open source software, you can always upgrade, add components, or otherwise refine your system as your experience and taste both mature.  SQ is a personal judgment that you can't make on the basis of other people's ears.

33 minutes ago, Bliman said:

Let's take for example I rip 50 cd's. I put them on my harddrive on my computer.

What then? Like before my computer is downstairs and I don't have access  above where my system is.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, Bliman said:

I have wifi upstairs in my listening room and with this I also could have a cabled option

Now it's really getting hard to follow you.  If you have a "cabled option" and a router, you have access to your computer through your own LAN.  If you only have WLAN upstairs, you still have access to your computer through that.  As was already pointed out by someone else, you could use an ethernet port on a WiFi range extender.  That Devolo system also looks great, although I've never used this kind of device.  If it does what it says it does, it'd probably be a fine solution for network access.

And if you run a music server on your PC with your music files stored on its HDD, you can send the audio output to a player upstairs over WiFi.

3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

It not only rips CDs quietly while you’re listening to music (have you ever sat in front of a PC ripping CD’s? Its one of THE most boring activities, right up there with watching paint dry), but it also collects then files all the meta data, checks the integrity of the file and identifies and quarantines any problem files, all in background, automatically. Using a PC, all those steps are manual, clunky and require constant user intervention. 

I rip CD's on a laptop, using Windows Media Player with file checking active. File folders for artists and albums are created automatically, with metadata. I can listen to music while files are being ripped, using any of my other programs (PowerDVD, Music Station, Foobar2000). So what exactly is the advantage of the above?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Thanks all for the answers.

I have looked a bit to Beekhuyzen yt channel. And all is getting a bit clearer now I think.

Isn't it good that I set an Intel NUC downstairs besides my main computer put it in my router and then go by a network cable go upstairs connect a SOtM 200 Neo on it and connect that to the DAC.

That looks like a good way.

The noise of the NUC stays downstairs so it doesn't have to be fanless. I also can install a bigger hard drive on it or connect a usb harddrive on it. That get's rid of the NAS and saves money.

And if the sound is not good enough I can always set a Etherregen between it (with the right central switch).

Am I correct in the above? It seems like things are getting a little clearer.

Thank you all for persisting and helping.

8 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Having just gone from a microRendu 1.4 (which i would assume is similar if not better than the base SMS) with a full opticalModule bridge behind it, to an opticalRendu with a single opticalModule this month, I will say the opticalRendu absolutely blows the microRendu out of the water. I got the Roon lite model at a great demo price, so yes, the oR is considerable cost new, esp in Euros. But you would never have to think about it again, honestly. Another thing that made a huge difference recently was the USB cable - a currently half price $99 Shunyata Venom that I would have easily been happy with at full price. Transformational. So budget that in as well. Check out my system - I'm a freelance photographer and therefore a spendthrift, so over time managed to put together a pretty nice sounding system(s) for about 1/3rd to half less than it would cost for retail. 

Thanks for the post.

So you have an intel NUC with i5 processor right? And I gues the Cisco 2960 L doesn't have an optical fiber connection? Therefore you have to use the optical module I guess.

I would like to buy the Zyxel GS1900 10HP central switch which can receive optical fiber https://www.alternate.be/Zyxel/GS1900-10HP-8-port-GbE-Smart-Managed-Switch/html/product/1296254?lk=19335

I just don't know much about switches. Do you need to put a lan cable from the router to the central switch?

And then plug the NUC in the central switch and then from the optical fiber connection on the switch to the optical rendu by glass fiber and then connect a usb cable from the optical rendu to the Dac. Is this all right? I am afraid this will need more then 10 m of optical fiber.

14 hours ago, Bliman said:

I must use Jriver with Ipeng for android, am I right?

No.  Unless I've missed it, iPeng is only for iOS.  JRiver has a built in web interface called Panel that lets you control it from any device with a browser, regardless of its operating system. The instructions are HERE.

JRiver also has a remote app for Android and iOS called JRemote (instructions HERE).  It's worth trying if you're not thrilled with Panel.  I've used it from its early versions (before Panel was introduced) and I like it a lot.  But Panel is already in JRMC, and I believe JRemote costs a few dollars.  So you might want to try Panel first.

For the budget mentioned I would install ROON on the computer you mentioned that can rip CD's or some other half respectable machine you have lying around the house. Roon is cheap and will control your whole music library and it will allow you to utilize an existing investment that may not be working as hard as it could be.

Then I would purchase a Sonore ultraRendu network endpoint. This can be placed next to your RME and feed it the music signal via the Sonore devices USB output. This should be within your total budget mentioned and be less obsolete in a few years than a dedicated off the shelf box like the Cambridge previously mentioned or others like it.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

11 hours ago, cjf said:

For the budget mentioned I would install ROON on the computer you mentioned that can rip CD's or some other half respectable machine you have lying around the house. Roon is cheap and will control your whole music library and it will allow you to utilize an existing investment that may not be working as hard as it could be.

Then I would purchase a Sonore ultraRendu network endpoint. This can be placed next to your RME and feed it the music signal via the Sonore devices USB output. This should be within your total budget mentioned and be less obsolete in a few years than a dedicated off the shelf box like the Cambridge previously mentioned or others like it.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

Thanks for the answer.

Just to be clear my listening room is upstairs and I have no computer there and my laptop can only be used for REW because it is very very slow and there is something wrong with it.So I have no access to a computer upstairs.

I also don't get your recommendation for ROON It costs 600€ (I live in Belgium) just for the software. And the Sonore costs 900 €.

I find it weird that there are so little answers on this.

I had hoped there would be some sort of concensus for around this price and purpose.

Like I read of Sotm, Innuos, nuc with special power supply, etc...

So I want to push the quality to the max for the price.

With CD players, the make or break component is the transport solution quality. WIth computer audio its the endpoint USB out solution. In your shoes I'd investigate a Mac mini running JRiver or Audirvana as a tried and true all in one simplest solution... its not the be all, end all solution but because

of its superior hardware integration it will have less sound quality issues from "transport" solution than other off the shelf 1 box solutions at or below your price point. Better server solutions do tend to have higher cost because of more costly power supplies needed to reduce electrical noise contamination of USB out. Roon is not a necessity, its just nice because it provides a lot of information on what you are playing and suggests

like pieces you might want to play.  Streaming comes in if you want to use Qobuz or Tidal; you would want them integrated with whatever

with your media player software which Roon supports. It also comes in if you have multiple "endpoint" devices in your home on a wifi network, if your

media player software supports streaming to endpoints you can use it from several devices at the same time which Roon also does.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The rule of three backups is very important with digital; Working copy, on/offsite backup, offsite backup.  Using your physical discs as either the second or third copy still means having two full copies on separate drives.  Commercially available device or not this still applies.  At roughly 700mb per disc calculate your current and future CD/Hi-Res/DSD storage needs. 

If the single copy TB number is much larger than any device in your budget.  The already strong option Kal suggests gains favor.  You don't need a fast or current processor, you don't fast storage or RAM (small SSD boot drive aside), you absolutely do not need ROON.  Deciding if Windows or Arch Linux iOS is best for you and the RME DAC driver is quite important at the outset.

Considerations you might not have taken under advisement for overall satisfaction within budget; Install new wall outlets in listening room, run ethernet patch cord or address other burgeoning network concerns in listening room (headless network control of music), physical staging and cable length changes, external optical drive(s) to rip CD collection, and time you are willing to invest to get this working correctly.

I recommend ripping your CD's to an outboard USB hard drive. Connect the hard drive to an SOtM sMS-200 Neo music renderer, which includes a music server. Add an inexpensive wi-fi dongle and a freebie control program like Linn Kazoo, for control via your laptop or phone. Plug the sms USB out directly into your RME DAC. Plenty of opportunity for upgrades later if you wish, but out of the box, sound quality will surpass your NAD CD player.

The sms-200 can function as a Roon endpoint, and includes one year free access. I've been running without Roon for 3 years, and don't see any need whatsoever to buy it.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/#toggle-id-13

On 8/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, Bliman said:

I am looking for something that is some sort of giant killer or that is very very good price/quality.

Meeting your needs is easy, but you left out a few things. Do you have a usable computer besides your laptop? Do you have either LAN access or a WLAN in your listening area? Do you have network storage?

If you have a usable computer and a local network available at your listening area, I’d either buy a JRiver Media Center license or install an open source music management system like Foobar2000 (if you’re running Windows) or go to Linux (eg Ubuntu) and either JRMC or one of the many excellent open source music management systems available for Linux.  Then I’d buy a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4 gigs of RAM and set it up as a DLNA player in your listening area, driving your RME.  Instructions like these are readily available.  If you’re running JRMC, you’ll also need to install BubbleUPnP Server (also open source) on the computer.  And you need storage for your music files, which can be networked or local to the computer (internal, USB etc).

If you have no usable computer or no network, a fine option is to put Ubuntu Studio on an i3 NUC and either buy  a JRMC license for it or use VLC (which is installed with US).  If you don’t like that choice, I’d put one of the many open source music systems out there (Volumio, Daphile, Rune, Kodi, etc) on a new Raspberry Pi to drive your RME. If you do the latter, you need storage that isn’t accessed via the same bus that connects your DAC.  You can also buy a Linux license for JRMC and install it on the Pi, if it’s your main music computer.  It works very well on a Pi and even does multichannel well.

Since a Pi only has USB or HDMI, I’d buy a PiHAT (eg the one from Allo) that adds optical output to your DAC. That way, you can get excellent performance with a USB3 drive for your music.

All if the above are well within your budget, with enough left over to set up a network and NAS if you want them.

I should go for a raspberry solution, cheap and effective.

Get a nas (Qnap or Synology) to store your music. The Qnap Ts251+ is fine, for example.

Install Volumio or moOde on raspberry (pi4 4GB ram is ok)

Connect the raspberry to your dac (raspberry must be connected to the network)

If you want a better solution (raspberry based too) you could go for an Allo Usbridge Signature Player with the Allo Shanti linear power supply. You can run Volumio or moOde on it as well.
The Allo Usbridge Signature Player will come with the on order selected software and is plug&play

With this last solution you’ll still stay in your budget and you’ll get best price/performance solution.

From your smartphone/tablet you’ll be able to manage Volumio or moOde without any trouble.

Take care of the backup recommendations from the other contributors.

Stefano

My audio system

First thank you all for the answers.

It still remains difficult for me.

First I have a computer downstairs that is good enough. I have wifi upstairs in my listening room and with this I also could have a cabled option (https://www.vandenborre.be/powerline-adapter/devolo-magic-2-wifi-starterkit?type=reviews ). I don't have a Nas or something like that. I have a Fritzbox 7360 router.

I want to push to the limits for my budget and want the best sound quality for the price.

I give a few otptions. What do you guys/girls reckon is the best option to get the best sound quality?

Pro-ject S2 Ultra Streamer + outside harddrive (https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/)
Innuos Zen 3 mini
Intel nuc
Another option that I haven't mentioned?

I should keep a nas in your project, it is versatile and the backup is very easy, just connect an usb drive to it. If you have to remember to make the backup, disconnect the drive, go downstairs, connect it to your pc then wait until the backup ends ... you’ll end to never do any backup.

That said, I own a SOtM sms200 Neo and I’m very happy with it.

I installed Minimserver and Bubbleupnpserver on the nas and control SOtM with Lumin app. MinimServer, a good tagging strategy, SOtM sms200 and Lumin app are a killer combo. Bubbleupnpserver is due to make Lumin app compatible with SOtM, but is a very easy setup, configure it and forget it.

Project S2 ... is good but you are forced with a customized version of Volumio, this could be fine or not, it depends on your taste.

I don’t like the Zen mini solution, it’s my taste, as an internal hdd is always a constraint and hdd sooner or later they break ... too complicated...

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, Bliman said:

What do you guys/girls reckon is the best option to get the best sound quality?

If you'e computer is up to it, I'd put your music server & management system on it, and set up a Raspberry Pi 4B at your listening area to drive your RME DAC. Your choice of player software on the Pi is dictated in part by which server you use on the computer.  I don't think a stock NUC with any processor will sound any better unless you're using heavy DSP, MC, etc.  You're also pushing your budget with anything over a stock i3 NUC with a nice little SSD and maximum RAM.  You can probably find a deal on a new Mac Mini for less than a heavy duty NUC.

JRiver Media Center is excellent on Windows and on Linux, while Foobar2000 is easier on Windows but will run fine on a Linux box using Wine.  There are several great options for open source and free proprietary apps too.  But if you don't want to spend any money and you run Windows, I'd do Foobar2000 - I've used it for many years, and it's a wonderful program that demands only basic skills to set up and configure.  If you're willing to spend the very reasonable cost of a JRiver license, it's an easy and wonderful program (as is Roon, but you've ruled that out). 

Connect the Pi to your network via ethernet.  Your Wifi router is a bit dated.  It'll do the job for audio, but it's only 2.4 GHz and won't exceed 300 mbps even under ideal conditions (line of sight, no floors / walls / other obstacles in the way).  it's about 4 times slower than even a modest current router (802.11ac).  Drive your DAC with USB3 from the Pi.  You really do need a good storage system for your music files, and NAS is the way most of us do this.  You only need it to store music files, so a basic NAS with 1 or 2 disks would be fine for you up to at least 8 TB.  I've used a WD MyCloud Mirror in the past, and I now have an Asustor 5202 - both of them are great for media files.

You could also just run JRiver on a 4 gig Pi 4B networked via ethernet, add a NAS to your network for music file serving, and you'll have a complete system that sounds great.  JRiver on a Pi 4 will do multichannel, more than a little DSP, DSD, and a whole lot more with grace and dignity.  Although it's still a bit slow on a hot rodded 3B+, the JRiver GUI runs very well on a 4.  My stock 4 loaded 10,481 files plus all cover art in 14 minutes and 52 seconds - and it sounds great!

Also, remember that you can control JRiver Media Center from any device with a web browser that's on your network or has internet access to it.  And JRiver will stream your files to you anywhere in the world, which I love (and is not yet available from Roon).  I have one Raspberry Pi 3B set up as a dedicated JRiver streamer for my son (who lives elsewhere but is too cheap and lazy to set up his own :) )

Thanks for the help. I try to come to some sort of consensus.

Does anyone know here if the price difference between the Sotm 200-Neo and the Ultra version is justified? The Ultra version is almost 3 times as expensive.

I didn't think a NAS was that important and I thought a storage of 2 TB would be more then enough. And storage is storage.

So do you think that it would be better to buy the cheap Sotm 200 and spent the rest on the NAS?

Or would I go for the most expensive one and just buy an external hdd?

I also read much about the power supply and I read so many things about cables here. If I look at Audioscience website it is the complete opposite. To be honest when testing loudspeaker cables I heard very little difference. And I really don't know what different usb cables would do.

I hear little about the sound quality. When I go to a different section of the forum there are so many differences in what people hear.

And because this is such a corner of Hifi which I am not familiar on it looks a bit of a black art.

Where people are looking at different power supplies, cables, etc...

And it is making it difficult.

But I want the best for the price where I don't take shortcuts anywhere. But I don't want snake oil also.

At one side you have the people who say to just take a raspberry pi or NUC and on the other side you have people who are looking at the power supplies and cables and such. It seems like one is looking for the most ergonomic way to listen to music and the other is analyzing to music.

It is pretty difficult to follow.

19 minutes ago, Bliman said:

At one side you have the people who say to just take a raspberry pi or NUC and on the other side you have people who are looking at the power supplies and cables and such. It seems like one is looking for the most ergonomic way to listen to music and the other is analyzing to music.

It is pretty difficult to follow.

Truth be told, SQ is probably so close with all of your considerations that any will do the job well for you.  You have a nice analog playback system that should bring out the best from them all.  

The Neo is a great little box, as are a Pi and a NUC.  Power supplies etc are icing on the cake, and opinions vary widely on their value.  But you did specify a budget of 1k, and you can’t add PS upgrades, fancy cables etc to a $500 player and a pair of good 4 TB drives and stay under that limit.  I personally don’t think you need that stuff to get great sound, but that’s just my opinion.

A Neo is great - but it has no WiFi so you must use Ethernet with it. It gives you many options for player software, and it’d be worth the cost to me if I wanted what it offers.  But for SQ, a well done Pi is so close that it’s my choice. FWIW, I have 7 of them in different systems, for listening, ripping, live recording, and experimenting. $55 USD vs $450 is not a hard choice for me.

If you don’t use a NAS, your drives have to be accessible somehow. I don’t think you can connect them directly to a Neo.

54 minutes ago, Bliman said:

Does anyone know here if the price difference between the Sotm 200-Neo and the Ultra version is justified? The Ultra version is almost 3 times as expensive.

I have not tried the sms-200Ultra, but the manufacturer has stated that an sms-200 with tx-Ultra will outperform an sms-200Ultra. You don't need anything to start except for the basic sms-200. You should start there, add later if you think you need to. 

If you get your info from ASR, you will most likely end up with mediocre sound. They are not audiophiles, they are technophiles. Simple static measurements do not define sound quality.

7 hours ago, Bliman said:

First thank you all for the answers.

It still remains difficult for me.

As you say there is a bewildering amount of choices. At the most simple level you are wanting to replace your CD player and because you already have a good DAC, you need something to replace the "transport" mechanism that will play digital files.

Whatever you want to call that it is otherwise known as a computer. Specifically, you need a computer that has a media player.

All other choices must now flow from some preferences regarding both form and function. The first thing to decide is do you want a ready-made turnkey solution or do you want more of a roll your own? They are distinctly different approaches.

Are you heavily into playing your own files stored somewhere locally, or are you moving towards exclusively streaming services over the Internet? We know you want to be have the ability to stream from the Internet but either of the choices above can accommodate this, it's just that some do it better than others.

I opted for choosing a computer and media player/server solution. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. Simple would be to buy a laptop and place J River on it. You can run a laptop from battery for a cleaner power supply but there are still lots of sources of noise generated internally. You can build your own version of your computer and choose all the bits you want, including power supply but it assumes that you are both willing and have some technical ability.

J River is relatively cheap, plays your music, rips music from your CDs, organisers your music (with incredible flexibility),  and has its own inbuilt server or can act as a DLNA server, can be operated from your phone, and has an amazing support forum. J River is not a good solution if you want integrated streaming services and all indications are it probably never will be (due to licensing/copyright issues).

Sound Minds Mind Sound