IGNORED

Allo DigiOne Sig support issue - dietpi-update fails

New Sig, immediately jumped to 70 C - even after adjusting the power usage control down to "Conservative". :(

Trying to install newer version of DietPi - hoping it might help with power usage / temperature - but it repeatedly fails with APT install process saying that it is unable to locate rpi-eeprom and rpi-eeprom-images... no, multiple retries make no difference.

According to the history, version 6.27 is both one that contains "power optimizations" (hope they make a difference) and it also seems to be where these 2 items are first introduced(?).

So I really want this one. ;)

Any suggestions?  Or questions?

DietPi.thumb.png.54c2d912d1053f2497e2193a09f05a69.png

So... I got some help over on the DietPi forums. ;)

The take-aways:

1) using the "Change command" menu entry shown in the screenshot above, I was able to remove the the 2 "missing" files rpi-eeprom[-images], and this allowed the dietpi-update to actually complete, and it claims my Pi is now running DietPi 6.31.2

2) it was suggested in the DietPi forum that running Debian "Stretch" should possibly be re-examined(?)

3) my CPU temp appears to have settled @ 67 C - so maybe those updates were helpful ;) - but we also have to remember that the Pi isn't actually doing anything besides running the "Dashboard" at this point - is Roon Bridge a very demanding app that will drive the CPU temp up?

4) While I haven't done an actual "reboot" - should I? - I can say that the Dashboard now no longer lets me disable the other services shown - it says "disabled", but after I save that new state, they all come back "enabled"

Thanks for the Roon comment - my understanding is that all the heavy lifting is done wherever the Roon Core is running, but I still don't know what may or may not be involved with pulling apart a stream of RAAT packets and arranging for the delivery of re-timed SPDIF signal to the coax output. ;)

Yes, the Gentoo comment is also appreciated, and I may need to dig up this "Etcher" SW and whatever USB-connected "EEPROM-writer" device I need... but I was actually hoping this would just be the Plug and Play "audiophile" device it was reputed to be.  I actually am a software dev, but this is well away from my usual platforms, and I am not really looking for new rabbit-holes to disappear down - as fun as that can be. 😝

I really would like to see some Allo folks weigh in here... I am not feeling hopeful on the CPU temp issue, and tried to ask Allo about some of the things I have seen about the Sig running too hot before I purchased mine - but I didn't even get a response to that question.  Maybe they should be actively steering people towards the 3+ instead of the 4?

If this thing doesn't cool down  - and again, it isn't even doing anything yet - I don't know what will be the right to do?  Maybe Allo will offer to extend my warranty, if they think these temps (69-71 C and up) are "OK"?  I don't really want a key component of my system to be living on borrowed time, just waiting to fail from prolonged overheating. 😬

3 hours ago, RDaneel2 said:

Thanks for the Roon comment - my understanding is that all the heavy lifting is done wherever the Roon Core is running, but I still don't know what may or may not be involved with pulling apart a stream of RAAT packets and arranging for the delivery of re-timed SPDIF signal to the coax output. ;)

Yes, the Gentoo comment is also appreciated, and I may need to dig up this "Etcher" SW and whatever USB-connected "EEPROM-writer" device I need... but I was actually hoping this would just be the Plug and Play "audiophile" device it was reputed to be.  I actually am a software dev, but this is well away from my usual platforms, and I am not really looking for new rabbit-holes to disappear down - as fun as that can be. 😝

I really would like to see some Allo folks weigh in here... I am not feeling hopeful on the CPU temp issue, and tried to ask Allo about some of the things I have seen about the Sig running too hot before I purchased mine - but I didn't even get a response to that question.  Maybe they should be actively steering people towards the 3+ instead of the 4?

If this thing doesn't cool down  - and again, it isn't even doing anything yet - I don't know what will be the right to do?  Maybe Allo will offer to extend my warranty, if they think these temps (69-71 C and up) are "OK"?  I don't really want a key component of my system to be living on borrowed time, just waiting to fail from prolonged overheating. 😬

Forwarded PM please check

Still would like to hear about the update failure issue, not to mention the vintage of the version of Debian still being "expected" - and let's not forget that the DietPi guys are right now testing out a 64-bit image for DietPi! ;)

In the good news category, a search for what people are thinking - and doing - about the excessive heat issues with RPi 4 turned up

Raspberry Pi 4 getting hot? A closer look

... with the extremely useful suggestion "if possible set up the Pi 4 to run in a vertical position, to improve air flow across the board and heat removal from both sides of the board".  For me, this resulted in a drop from 70-71 C down to 60-61 C! 😊

So, this means that while not ideal in terms of heat management - something "targeted" should really be done, at least I am not as concerned with the little thing cooking itself in the immediate future.

• 3 weeks later...