IGNORED

Revolution questions

I’m looking for a new DAC and the Revolution looks like a real contender but I don have a few questions. Is there a manual available? I searched on the Allo site but was unable to find anything. I had also seen some discussion about a balanced output version in the future, any word about that? I’m also confused about the firmware. On the Allo website there are two different versions offered. You can also get it with none. Is the firmware only required for use on a windows machine? I plan on using it with a Pi based streamer or maybe a Mac. 

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Isaacc7 said:

I’m looking for a new DAC and the Revolution looks like a real contender but I don have a few questions. Is there a manual available? I searched on the Allo site but was unable to find anything. I had also seen some discussion about a balanced output version in the future, any word about that? I’m also confused about the firmware. On the Allo website there are two different versions offered. You can also get it with none. Is the firmware only required for use on a windows machine? I plan on using it with a Pi based streamer or maybe a Mac. 

Thanks in advance!

Forwarded PM please check

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please Allo, could you kindly write the clarifications regarding the firmware publicly? I can't understand the difference between the various versions, also if I buy it from Audiophonics or Max2play I don't have the possibility to choose so what do I get in these case?

I also don't understand if the firmware update procedure that is indicated on your website is necessary, and if so, for what. Can I switch from Theysicon to Xmos by updating the firmware and vice versa?

Another thing I don't understand is if it supports ASIO drivers.

Finally, I take this opportunity to ask for further clarification: in the test results it is indicated that for H2 the best setting is 1 while in the manual you linked above it is indicated that the best setting is 3. Which is the correct one?

Bona sera Leo,
in short: You may have no need to change in Linux or IOS, because both FW offer the same level of happiness (features). FW Upgrade from XMOS to Thesycon is possible with WIN10, LINUX86 or RPI.

I have noticed that you can use 2 different firmwares for the Revolution
- one works driverless with XMOS and is limited to DSD256 with Win10 and MacOS, with LINUX its up to DSD512
- the other one works with Thesycon drivers you need to install on Win10 (Cem Solution) and does ASIO and DSD512, for OSX its is USB 2.0 compliant

Depending on which firmware you have on the Revolution, you can chose to change the firmware from the ressources which you find here:
grafik.png

There is an info file for Windows user that states:

revolution dac is based on XMOS XU208 . evaluation/testing firware available on testing folder .
Track change over "tick"  sound noticed in this test versions,  will fine tune later. 
on windows download and install  USB-Audio-Class-2.0-Evaluation-Driver-for-Windows_4.13.0.zip 
open  "TUSBAudio Firmware upgarde"  from the start menu. connect revoltuion Dac on USB port
"device opened" shows on console upgrade window.browse the xxx.bin file , start

Here is the info in my words with some side info and visualization:
- AFAIK, if you are at Thysecon you do not need to update because you can use both, XMOS drivers and the Thysecon.
Which would explain why there is no software to change back to XMOS only.
- If you are on XMOS firmware and want to change to Thysecon, you need to download the utility-tool which is an XMOS upgrade tool for Thysecon firmware. I tried to test it under WIN10, however I am on FW 1.02 (Thysecon) and the XMOS DFU (DeviceFirmwareUpdater) did not find my device, while at the same moment the Thysecon drivers saw it ( see pics).
I guess it looks for XMOS FW devices only.

grafik.png

After downloading  the tool (EVAL) you'll de-zip / install the drivers into in the folder C:\Program Files\Thesycon\Thesycon TUSBAudio Driver (EVAL) for XMOS Kits", afterwards you'll find the two options in your win10 menu.

grafik.png

you select Firmware Upgrade. That app will ask you for the *.bin file, when you open it.
grafik.png
It should be in the folder where you've downloaded it into.
You'll find in the correspondend folder online, depending what you want to do. As I am not on XMOS firmware I would assume that you can either change between the 2 available XMOS firmares or install the Thysecon fimware *.bin,  for a change.
Just to be 100%  sure, I would appreciate that you wait for Allo to confirm the description ;-)
Hope that helps you a bit ...
Cheers, Tom

PS: Regarding the settings : Trust only your owns ears ;-)

Thank you very much for such a thorough answer. I should have understood everything.

Another question ... that you know, given the youth of the product, are there different PCB revisions on the market? There is a risk of finding a relatively obsolete or problematic model? (I read in the other topics of cases of collapse of the USB connector, or loss of output)