IGNORED

Rega Dac

Rega have finally gotten their new dac released and it is already garnering raves wherever it lands. Tone Magazine has a review in thier latest online issue and he basically LOVES it. At $995 it may be a giant killer in much the same way their cd players have been.

David

Hello,

I found no mention of "Async", "ASIO", or "Kernel Streaming" in the PDF manual. According to the specifications in the manual, the USB input is limited to DAT resolution (16-bits, 48kHz):

USB Isolated (16bit 32/44.1/48KHz)

Input 1 Optical/Toslink (24bit 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz)

Input 2 Optical /Toslink (24bit 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz)

Input 3 Isolated 75I Co-axial (24bit 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz)

Input 4 Isolated 75I Co-axial 24bit32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192KHz)

So, we'll need an M2Tech hiFace (Evo) or similar to enable high resolution file playback with this DAC, and an analog preamp for volume control. This makes the Rega somewhat less of a bargain than a more featureful unit like the Wyred 4 Sound W4S DAC-2, but still worth considering.

-- David

The manual is quite clear than USB is limited to 48kHz - seems the word has not yet reached Rega that Computer Audio is the way to go....

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Pretty sure I know the answer... But can the Rega DAC be remotely controlled?

Agree about the USB input: better to have no USB than a half hearted effort; though others may agree. Not sure Rega believe in computers, remember their biggest market is still turntables :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

How it sounds is something altogether special though. Anyone that doesn't think Rega "does" computers needs to listen to the USB output of 16/44 files from a Macbook Pro. For listening to...let's see about 99.9% of my music collection and also Pandora, Rhapsody, Internet Radio, downloaded iTunes,

ripped cds, etc, etc., the Rega does what Rega does best....make music. It's a sweetheart and they will sell a ton of them.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have one arriving tomorrow from Audio Advisor to try. I have a W4S on order (backordered, so I can still cancel), but feel more comfortable with the Rega based on past experience with their CDP's and comments I've read. The W4S reviews/comments all talk about detail, transparency & soundstage, and the Rega comments (and single review I've found) are all about musicality, PRaT, sounding like a turntable and , oh yeah, the detail is pretty good but back to the music.

I was initially hung up on the 16/44 USB input, but I will try the Mac Mini toslink with a Lifatec glass mini-toslink cable I picked up (the new one without the metal covering). Worst case is I buy a HiFace EVO or something similar. I also have a Wireworld Starlight USB cable to try.

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

• 3 months later...

Jitter levels are much higher with the built in optical output than with a Halide Bridge. Despite the Rega's redoubling circuitry this will affect sound quality.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"If one has a MacBook Pro, as I do, is there any reason not to plug and play withe the optical out? Won't this stream hi-rez native? Without the expense of a hiFace or similar?"

plakey:

You certainly can do as you are suggesting. The USB output into a Halide Bridge (or hiface) is simply a better sounding interface. Not to take away for using an optical cable such as the Chord Opticable because that can give a terrific taste of the capabilities of the Rega; just not fully exploit them.

If you have the MacBook then just try it and see what you think. You may not need to go any further.

David

• 4 weeks later...

So for those of us that have had the Rega DAC, how has it turned out for you? Are you using USB or did you move up to another interface (box/cable) to take advantage of the higher resolution audio on your computer? Which device did you settle on?

I'm currently using the Audioquest Carbon USB but considering the Halide until for some of the hi-res songs I've downloaded. Most of my collection though is 16/44kHz and love the Rega DAC. It's great rediscovering audio and creating various playlists to enjoy all my music.

2012 (Late) Mac Mini, Oyen 1TB HDD (ALAC files), DH Labs Silversonic Toslink Optical w/3.5mm Audioquest adapter, Rega DAC, Audioquest Columbia IC, Rega Brio-R, DH Labs T-14 Cables, PSB Imagine B

Two days in after a dealer has dropped it off.

I'm keeping it. Only using a generic USB cable, but this dac is very musical with my second system - MacBook/Technics/Naca5/Naim Intro IIs. No where near my Naim CDX2, but understandable. Very good sound for a computer and $1000 dac.

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs