IGNORED

How I build my high power computer server for HQplayer

hols

On 8/18/2020 at 3:18 AM, exeric2 said:

This is very interesting, Hols. I'm curious why you didn't try Euphony. After all, it does have a HQP embedded option within it. That might be nice for those of us who do not have a friend who can write a linux program for us. I'm sure you have a reason and inquiring minds want to know.

On a separate note: Maybe there should be a crowd push here for HDPlex to create a passive cooling copper rods kit that engages both heat sink side panels from a single CPU. It seems like a really good idea because it would probably double the heat dissipating capacity of the H5. Instead of having them go out just one direction they would have to go out both directions from the single CPU. One complicating factor would be the necessity of clearing all three occupied PCIe slots. 

Actually I have tried Euphony way back more than a year ago and I still have a license now. Euphony does not seem to be very popular among our circle. We have compared directly audiolinux with HQplayer and Euphony with or without HQplayer embedded we all favor audiolinux. My impression of Euphony is it lacks the bass boost and also tend to have less detail than desired. YMMV.

As for the additional heat pipes utilizing heatsinks on both sides I have asked Larry of HDplex about it but it seems that he is not really interested in offering this option.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:13 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

@hols thanks for sharing.  Have you tried a single box configuration (i.e. embedded without NAA, but using the JCAT Net + USB XE card) ?

I am all for using HQplyer+ NAA option because singlebox HQplayer alone configuration can at most get 80% of what a HQplayer+NAA system can offer. Having said that I am using one singlebox configuration in one of my system because I am still waiting for some linear power supply for powering the NAA computer. I am using the Jcat USB XE card and still waiting for the new Jplay network card. 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, andru26 said:

What do you think about JCAT USB XE? Did you by chance compare it to JCAT USB Femto?

I like the JCAT USB XE card a lot. Compared with the onboard USB ports the JCAT card is better in that it gives a more beautiful mid and high range. The sound is also more pure. But it most be supplied with a good external Linear Power supply otherwise its effect is only mediocre. And also if you are using HQplayer and going to high oversampling frequency e.g. PCM 1411 with say Holo Audio Spring 2 or May you have to scale down to 16 bit  instead of 24 bit. This is because of some USB architecture issue and is common to all PCIe USB cards and not just Jcat alone.

Unfortunately I don't have a Jcat femto USB card to compare.

Thank you

On 1/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, GUTB said:

I built a 7700K based Windows audio PC with TeraDak 380W, Paul Pang V3 USB and power-isolated SSD. I used large passive cooler from QuietPC:

nof-cr-100a-installed-large.jpg

....and it fails to keep the 7700K from throttling under heavy load from the advanced HQPlayer filters. I built it in the hopes of handling DSD512 up-conversion but thanks to the throttling it can't. It also struggles with DSD256 using the toughest filters. So, please make sure the cooling solution in this case will actually be able to stop the CPU from throttling.

Thank you for your post. I have been using this fanless server for 9 months now. Fortunately I do not have CPU throttling problem. I used it initially for going to DSD 256 ASDM7EC. The temperature may reach 70 to 80 degrees Celsius but no CPU throttling. I am using the 800W HDplex DC ATX  unit. In recent months I am changing more to upsampling to PCM 1411 and the temperature is not an issue too.

15 hours ago, andru26 said:

@hols I just noticed your HD Plex build, very nice work. I would have one recommendation for you, which in my case improved the sound of my PC. I see your custom hook-up wire run parallel to each other. Try twisting them around each other. This will help with electrical noise reduction and will improve sound quality.

See attached image for an example.

twisted.jpg

Thank you for your suggestion. I think this is a really controversial area. In general I think the twisting of wires is belived to be useful in reducing noise in AC transmission. The improvement in DC is much less significant. Second is we are dealing with 24 wires traversing about 8 inches. If you twist them the resulting wire becoms a cake or a ball and the length of the wire used may have to be doubled or even tripled. The work involved in knitting the 24 wires is not easy. I am not so sure that adding so much metal is a good idea with regards to SQ. Besides cost is also a concern because these wires are not cheap at all, esepcially if some of them use Mundorf gold/silver wires. YMMV.

• 1 month later...