IGNORED

BDP-1

tomE

I auditioned this new Bryston player and liked it a lot. My dealer had a Boxing week sale and I ordered one at considerable savings. I should have it by this Wednesday and will use it in conjunction with my BDA-1. I like the simplicity of not having to deal with computers to access my tunes. I can rip, edit, save to my hard drive o.k. on my PC but anything else is a bit of a struggle. I did build my own server but made a couple of mistakes and quickly tired of the whole process. I did get pretty good sound out of it though. The Bryston will look better in my rack and all I have to do is plug in a USB drive and all is good.

I will have to connect to my wireless network to get remote control eventually but I think I'll live with it as is for a while. I will post here if I have any issues and would like to know if anyone else has one of these and their thoughts.

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

Hi tomE

I'm a fan of Bryston and use the BDA-1 with my custom built HTPC.

I thought the BDP-1 had a DAC built in so why would you need to use it with the BDA-1? Is it becuase the BDA-1 does D to A better than the BDP-1?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

Hello debt_collector

I don't have the player yet but I don't believe there is a DAC on board the BDP-1 as it was used with the BDA-1 during my auditioning of it at my dealer. Everything I've seen about it in print has it being used with the BDA-1 so I'm almost positive there isn't a DAC in it.

By the way, how do you like your BP-26? My preamp is kinda long in the tooth and I'm considering a new one with remote control.

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

intended to be married to the Bryston BDA-1 (or any DAC, frankly). It uses the MPD Linux OS (Music Player Daemon) like the Auralitis ($700) and Alix's ($150) of the world. It looks intriguing but the price seems out of line ($2100). It has no internal hard drive so it reads external USB drives or USB flash thumb drives, and outputs AES or S/PDIF.

Thanks for clarifying re BDP-1.

The BP-26 is a fantastic pre-amp. I am very happy with it. I havent heard many other alternatives so a bit hard to compare.

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

Thanx debt_collector, the BP-26 is on my short list.

Ted, the BDP-1 is a bit dear but then I did get it on sale at considerable savings. My dealer also gives me a preferred status due to all the stuff I've purchased over the years and great service. I am a bit technically challenged computer-wise and this looked like a solution I could live with that sounds very good. And it looks great stacked on the BDA-1. Bryston builds solid products with terrific warranty support. I've only dealt with their warranty service once on a more than ten year old product (2BLP) and they fixed it while I waited (there was a service depot local to me at that time). So, a reasonable value from my standpoint. YMMV.

TomE

It's a bit off topic but what other preamps are on your shortlist?

I'm curious, did you get your BDP-1 IN THE states or in the UK?

debt_collector, I'm in Ontario,Canada and got the BDP-1 at my local dealer. They carry Bryston as one of their main brands. I tend to favour domestic manufacturers somewhat and Bryston is a bit more than half an hour away from here. I've only auditioned the BP-26 and a Simaudio Moon 5.3 (I think) but the Moon pre was at another dealer with a different set up. Both very quiet preamps. I am also interested in BAT (VK-3iSE), Parasound Halo JC2 and a Classe CP-500. Auditioning the others will involve some travel into the city which is always a pain. The BP-26 has the edge in that I can get it with an MC phono stage on board but that option is hard to audition. I'm not sure if the others can be had that way yet. I'm also thinking of simplifying my rig and trading in for an integrated. My wife would LOVE that!

TomE

Would dealers not let you audition kit at home? that would help you compare like for like. I live in the UK and dealers here let you do that. everything I bought was audition in my home.

Hey debt_collector,

The dealer that I patronize the most lets me take stuff home and another somewhat further away will do so as well. There aren't many dealers of high end gear near me. I haven't investigated any dealers in the city for allowing home audition as taking the unit home then returning it is a large pain in the you-know-what. Even my so called local dealer is about 18 miles away but I can tolerate that trip. Just the cost of living in the boonies I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the BDP-1 last night. I'll be playing with it this weekend. Setting up for remote control might take some time but when I get around to it I'll post any problems, issues etc if I encounter any. My dealer has one that uses an iPad for remote and I enjoyed that experience.

Tom

Definately envious.....

Living just west of TO would your dealer be Audio1? That is where got my Bryston stuff. As soon as I am convinced the packaged solution is better than a mac mini I'm in line for a BDP myself. Not there yet and hopefully wont have to either.

Can't wait to hear your reviews.....have fun!

Mac Mini 2007: 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 Gig RAM, 500 Gig 5400 RPM HD[br]OSX 10.6.6, TimeMachine Off, Airport Off, Dedicated to Music[br]HAGUSB USB-->S/PDIF[br]Players: Audirvana, ITunes[br]Music Library: RedBook 16/44 WAV[br]Bryston BP26DA Preamp/DAC[br]Bryston 3BSST Amp[br]B&W 804s Loudspeakers[br]

Hi Rcanoe,

I'm east of Toronto but did live in Hazeltown (Mr. & Mississauga!)for a number of years back in the day. I actually didn't get it because it sounds superior to anything specifically, I just thought it took all the messing around with computers per se out of the experience. From my auditions it sounds very good indeed, a bit quieter than my home built server for sure. I will leave more comments after I've lived with it a bit longer. TTFN

Tom

I've had the BDP-1 for a week or so now. It was a bit late in arriving but is now in my system helping to make beautiful music! And it does sound great in conjunction with the BDA-1. I read the manual and tried the setup using my laptop to control the BDP-1 through my wireless network. No joy so far.I had just installed a different router before the BDP-1 arrived but the network seems to be working o.k. I'm going to ask for some support from my dealer on Monday since they have already set one up for remote. Hopefully it is something simple and easily resolved. I'll continue to post my experiences. It DOES sound very good!

Tom

Thanx Demian, I'll be sure to try it. Is Bonjour a free program? I'll definitely check it out. Thanx again.

Tom

Thanks Bob but my laptop is a pc. Demian, I've downloaded Bonjour and will try it out later today between football games, at half time, during commercials etc!

Tom

I did it! Today I downloaded google chrome (my dealers' recommendation)and accessed the BDP-1. Using the Max program with my PC laptop I've been browsing my hd and making some play lists. Everything is working beautifully, the various sample rates, formats etc change seamlessly. The software is unfamiliar but not unintuitive and I'm getting used to it fast. I'm using a D-Link (DIR-825)router and a bridge/access point (can't remember the model #) by the same company so I didn't have to string 50' of wire, tear up ceilings/walls etc. I'm liking this player. Not much more to say. The sound quality is very good (connected to my BDA-1)and the player is convenient and easy enough to set up that a non geek like myself didn't have much trouble. I was sorely tempted by an android tablet today. Maybe in a couple of months:-)

Tom

Thats great that it is working. Be very cautious about Android tablets: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/maylong-universe-m-150/4505-3126_7-34474248.html?tag=nl.e404 . There is a lot of junk out there. There are some good ones and more coming. Android phones also work. You can tweak a Nook Color to work but its hacker time to do it for now.

Other options abound. On a desktop or a laptop I use Firefox w/ Minion which works well. MPod and the upcoming Mpad are very good. MPDroid is very good on android. There are at least 175 clients that have been written so there's plenty of options.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

Thanks for the warning on the android pads Demian. I am totally unfamiliar with any of them but was passing a window display that featured a Samsung Galaxy tab. It was pretty cool and I liked the 7" size quite a bit.

Once I get more familiar with Max I'll give the Firefox/Minion a try as well. Now all I need is more hi res files to play on the BDP-1!

Tom

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is good but pricey. The cheap ones are to be avoided if they aren't from a major player for now. I was offered deals on Android tablets at CES that were astonishing- $90 ea for a 7" in 100 piece lots. Thats only a few dollars over the parts cost. But no support.

I'm glad the BDP-1 is working well for you.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

Yes it sure is. I'll wait a bit and do some comparison shopping before taking the plunge. I've actually been laid up for a couple of days. I seem to have pulled a quad when I slipped on some ice. Having the ability to control the player from my couch is excellent under the circumstances!

A bit of background about my digital experience so far. I was almost entirely an analogue guy...LP12/Benz-Micro L04/Alphason arm etc. I did buy a NAD CD player some years back as there wasn't that much new on LP that I wanted. I found the CD player a bit uninvolving compared to the TT.

Periodically I would audition CD players at various audio emporiums. I didn't listen to ultra expensive players but mostly around $3k and lower. I wasn't tempted to spend any dough on any player I could afford. When I heard the BDP-1 it kinda reached me. I still find my TT more able to convey emotion but for the first time a DAC was competing if not equaling/surpassing. I auditioned with redbook material. Hi res, although I don't own much yet, has narrowed the gap again. Convenience has changed the equation too.

Compared to my NAD 541 (I think) the Bryston pair is more detailed, has better bass and more overall delicacy when the material calls for it. It's also quieter and makes bad redbook material harder to tolerate. Anyway, I'm pleased with the player/DAC combo. There might be better/cheaper etc gear out there but I can't audition everything. This combo is the real deal and I'm satisfied.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit to not being a fan of the approach Bryston have taken here - its very limited.

I can see the point of the simplicity of a hard drive - not having to network etc., but this is wholly contradicted by the need to have a network connection to be able to control the device from a wifi device such as those from Apple (which, of course, adds another minimum of £200 to the price of the BDP-1). So for remote control you need a network anyway. You'll also need to wait for the BDP-1 to scan your music collection on the hard drive everytime you plug it back in again after you've added new music to the drive - that might turn out to be rather tedious.

Remember that, with a DAC, this device is at a similar price point to the Linn Akurate DS in the UK. Something to ponder.

I'm open minded enough to think that there's a place out there for this player, but it will be interesting to see if it takes off.

One last thought - the Squeezebox Touch can technically provide a very similar (if not identical) function to the BDP-1 - in addition to all the other stuff it does such as having a merely adequate built-in DAC - for 10% of the price. And it has a much nicer screen and interface.

Anyone out there up for comparing a Touch playing from a USB stick into a decent external DAC and the same content through the BDP-1 into the same external DAC?