IGNORED

What has produced the greatest sound improvement for you?

10 hours ago, Mike48 said:

Yes, here are two. There have been slight changes, but this shows the basics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Did you chose your acoustic treatment after measuring the room or just what treatment that seemed "fitting"?

Sure your room is as important as any components you can choose  . Our previous home I used a large detached garage with vault ceilings in the 2nd story my Magnapan speakers thrived in our new home no such luck and with nothing I could do about the dimensions of the only room I could use I was forced me to sell the Magnapans . 

For now I use a headphone system ,  they sound fantastic and no room issues .

@Mike48that is a very nice looking room, even low-profile ceiling treatments. Maybe something on the door too?Sweet. It looks like it's below grade, like my room, which is also well treated.

Like you, I found some reflective treatments mixed with adsorption on the front wall were preferable. I tried with and without, and preferred the more "mixing of sound" approach. It sounded a bit dead with only "trapping" up front.

I also added a few very good replica faux plants, which create additional high-end mixing...kind  of an organic fractal reflector.

Really like the room and I bet it sounds good too. Thanks for the pics...

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

5 hours ago, Summit said:

Did you chose your acoustic treatment after measuring the room or just what treatment that seemed "fitting"?

More the latter. After all, every room needs bass trapping, first-reflection control, and reduction of slap echo. The measurement came in when trying to minimize SBIR.

Also, I had panels and traps left over from a previous room and used them as part of this setup. There has been ongoing experimentation of what sounds best where.

After trying a Dirac system and being disappointed that their system involves another ADC to DAC before being sent to the preamp, undoes all the work my DAC did.

So I went with HAF building custom convolutions for me, to install into Roon, that made the biggest improvement in my system. 

The bottom ends sounds great and plays nice with the rest of the Freq. Response....from even low volumes and scales nicely!

https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com

1 hour ago, LarryMagoo said:

After trying a Dirac system and being disappointed that their system involves another ADC to DAC before being sent to the preamp, undoes all the work my DAC did.

That, of course, depends on the architecture of your system.  In many, Dirac (which is, itself, digital in and out without conversion) can be implemented to avoid redundant conversions.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That, of course, depends on the architecture of your system.  In many, Dirac (which is, itself, digital in and out without conversion) can be implemented to avoid redundant conversions.

That may be true but then you're adding yet another Box, with AC, more cables and connections!  This route is unnecessary when adding convolutions to the best Music Playing software on the planet!

1 hour ago, LarryMagoo said:

That may be true but then you're adding yet another Box, with AC, more cables and connections!  This route is unnecessary when adding convolutions to the best Music Playing software on the planet!

Well, if you are stuck with Roon 😉, you have to deal with its limitations.  OTOH, there are other EQ systems which will generate convolution filters compatible with Roon and which can be done by the end user any time needed.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile